Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. 3wapp

3wapp Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2012
    No
    . only in full plane events

2. Bluebear88

Bluebear88 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2012
    #12442 Bluebear88, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Ever try dropping a raw egg in the ramen when it's boiling? I always crack an egg and pour it in to boil with about two minutes left cooking time. Every once and awhile when I'm bored I'll season with some Louisiana hot sauce xD

I'll buy Concorde controls if any one is selling:) just shoot me a PM if you're interested. Thanks

3. Merlion

Merlion Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Thanks, Penguin, for the trade! Put together mine, proudly in Merlionine Airlines colours!

Attached Files:

4. Dsolender

Dsolender Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    A Child Tax Credit
    New York
    Do you have any extra parts left over that you might want to sell?

5. Dsolender

Dec 20, 2012
    A Child Tax Credit
    New York
    I'm not the only one who thinks nimblebit should make a pocketplanes update right? Anyone know if one's coming out soon?

6. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Holy... omg... How... WHAT. How...

:eek:

I thought I was doing pretty well now, but at the rate I'm going, I will attain those coin and bux numbers in a mere century! :cool:

Oh don't feel bad! It's okay! *hugs*

Fascinating! ...yet I ponder its purpose in this thread... :eek:

7. Merlion

Jun 24, 2012
    Sorry, not at this time. But working on it :)

Absolutely. Way overdue. But in the past couple of days I saw an well-reasoned article on this forum that concluded that PP's game structure doesn't offer NimbleBit much in the way of monetisation.

If that is true, I'm not sure they'll ever get around to a serious update. Put yourself in NB's position, you have limited resources to a) make PP more attractive to a limited circle of strategic players that are too clever to spend much, if anything, on the game; or b) have a go at becoming the next Angry Birds. Which of the two would you devote your resources to?

Cheers,
    Your resident pessimist.

8. BumActor

BumActor Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Concorde control for trade. Really just looking for a full sequoia m in return :)

9. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    #12449 vicsark, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    True that!
    They've been developing a new game. Not much transpired but it looks like an RPG/Dungeon à la NimbleBit.
    Also they have done 2 recent upgrades for TT and I think a big one one Pfrogs and their first burger game.
    PP on a business standpoint is not their priority, as you point. (Btw could you post the link to the article you mention? ;) )

But the biggest issue is that I don't see what they really can update apart from some new planes and some technical user interface tweaks.

The map will stay, no new airports obviously as it is cleverly balanced and realistic.
    The social aspect is already well done with the global events and trading.

Even new planes, ok, but they have already covered almost every combination : small/big, slow/fast, P/C layout, range, class ...

Maybe they could be tempted to lower the difficulty and learning curve in the beginning but how would you do that whitout changing the later game?

Some games are good as they are, and PP is extremely well balanced.
    I don't see any major changes, and that's a good thing imho.

10. smws

smws Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Finally a proud member of #TA1. Will add myself to the spreadsheet, too!

In other news: my luck with the event prize was a bit off. Now I have one extra Concorde Body. If anyone's willing to trade it for Concorde Engine or Controls, I'd be really happy! :)

11. BumActor

BumActor Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Perfect trumpet responded first. Thanks anyways to all others

12. Merlion

Jun 24, 2012
    Reason for not including the link is that I was too lazy to look it up. Trust Vic to call me out on it. You don't miss a beat, do you Vic? :)

It's the August article that was discussed a couple of days ago. Here goes:
    http://mygamingmind.blogspot.com/2012/08/post-play-analysis-pocket-planes-part-1.html
    Part 2:
    http://mygamingmind.blogspot.com/search/label/Post%20Play%20Analysis

Beg to disagree on the things that could/should be done to fresh up the game. Changing the learning curve, to make it easier in the beginning as you suggest, isn't one of them. I think that part is quite OK, as it attracts a certain type of player that will love the strategic depth of the later part of the game. And I do agree that the airport geography is fine as it is. Although my personal preference is to have a globe, as after all we've known that the Earth isn't flat for more than 2,000 years. But I guess that would require a major rewrite so let's leave that for now.

Other than that, here are my 2c:-

1. Decrease the flying (mileage) costs but introduce a stopover fee. i think that's a missed opportunity. Apart from being more realistic (after all, you always pay airport fees if you make a stop) you make flying easier for beginners since it costs less; and for later players you put a penalty on not extending the range of planes (as that requires more stops).

2. Introduce an extra upgrade step for airports, increasing the number of layovers and flights; and in conjunction:

3. Introduce some bigger planes, say 20-24 seaters for Class 3, 10-12 for Class 2, and 6-8 for Class 1. More variety plus it makes the earlier phases both more rewarding and more strategic.

4. Introduce hyperexpensive 'specials': planes that are scarcely (but not limited) available in the market, and can only be bought as parts. Say, 1,000 bux per part and upwards. I used to play Racing Live where the initial cars cost a couple of $1,000 but the ones that became available later went into the millions. It keeps the challenge a little longer. And I bet it makes for lively trading!

5. Scatter around some First Class passengers and cargo, that appear in the job list in another colour, say orange. Bux only, and they pay a lot more than the usual ones. But First Class is only available on Class 3 planes.

And so on. I bet the creative geniuses at NimbleBt can come up with a lot more than that, without having to rebuild the thing from the ground up!

Cheers,
    M.

13. smws

smws Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I like most of the ideas and I'll just a few comments of my own.
    1. This might be a good idea but might make it a bit harder for starting players. To make longer trips the short range planes need more hops in different airports and therefore the fees go up. If they keep the stopover fee low then this won't affect the end-game people that much. It's a balancing act, really.
    2 & 3 are great ideas and would add a lot more longevity.
    4. Now this is a brilliant idea. Hunting these rare items would add a new sense of achievement to the game and would be just awesome.
    5. I like this one too, but.. it might get a bit too confusing with all the colors - white, green, golden, blue..

Personally, I'd love for them to come up with more and more achievements. I'm almost done with them all (need 2 flights to Tiksi on my Seaknight and about 300 flights for the 10k one). Achievements should be rather easy to implement, too.

14. pepitko

pepitko Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I'm now a proud member of TA1, I've added myself to the spreadsheet. For some reason I haven't received any award from the New York event. I delivered around 500 jobs for TA crew. I switched to TA1 shortly after the event was over, which is probably the reason why. Will the award get to me eventually?

15. vicsark

Aug 22, 2011
    Ok, I thought it was a new article ;)

Interesting ideas.
    2 and 3 : I agree that they can do "bigger" (ie bigger planes, more layovers, etc...) whithout changing much, that would be the easy way to prolong the life of the game. But not that much whitout enhancing the UI at the same time! do you see yourself scrolling in a full 120 layovers airport ;)
    4: Many freemium titles do offer extra expensive and extra rare items, I'm pretty sure it's not the way NB wants to go though.
    1 and 5: that would complicate the slick minimalist approach of the game, I don't see things like that happen.

Hopefully they'll surprise us, because outside of having bigger planes and enhanced UI, I still don't see what they could upgrade?! :)

16. vicsark

Aug 22, 2011
    Nope, sorry mate, always wait for your prize before changing teams!
    Try emailing NimbleBit support, maybe they'll be generous ;)

Welcome to TouchArcade1 guys ;)

(reminder: "TouchArcade1" is the crew name, not "TA1")

17. Merlion

Jun 24, 2012
    My little wish list up there was not so much about UI, but about game structure. Btw I didn't mean paying real $$ for the 'extra expensive' items, I meant spending those 100,000s of bux many of us have by now :)

*Rant alert*

If you talk about UI, there's a big one on my wish list: getting some kind of dashboard that includes bux value. If you're on a bux strategy right now, you fly completely blind (no pun intended) as you're only able to look at the coin value of your activities. So here you are, making in excess of 2,000 bux a day (which you arrive at by vaguely remembering what your bux count was yesterday), and the game is telling you only that you're making some piffling amount of coins that has nothing to do with your real profitability.

*End of rant*

Cheers,
    M.

18. TheIcemany1980

TheIcemany1980 New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Can do that, which sequoia u need?

19. Dsolender

Dec 20, 2012
    A Child Tax Credit
    New York
    Deal!

20. BumActor

BumActor Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Again already traded Thanks though. Guess I should've asked for more. No just kidding. Paying it forward. Lol. Well sorta