Japan Rescue

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Coding Dutchmen, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Coding Dutchmen

Mar 2, 2011
    To support the earthquake and tsunami victims in Japan, Coding Dutchmen designed and developed a new game. All of this game's revenue will be donated to the Red Cross, so they can help the people who are in need the most.

[​IMG]

In Japan Rescue, you are the brave pilot of a rescue helicopter, flying above the city as it is struck by the tsunami. People are taking refuge on the roofs as the water level in the streets rises and rises. Hover above them, pick them up and bring them to the hospital.

[​IMG]

Check out the full description, gameplay video and status updates on the Apple approval process here: http://bit.ly/dOLQ28

2. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    This is in terribly bad taste.

Shame on you.

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #3 S.I.D. CrAzY, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Yeah, supposedly all the proceeds go to the Red Cross, but the game didn't have to be about this.

4. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Yeah, at first I thought it was a horrible cash in on a horrible event, but if all the proceeds really do go to the Red Cross, then it's not as bad, but it could've been about something else at least.

5. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #5 ColeDaddy, Mar 24, 2011
    (Pulled my response. I defer to my comment in post #23)

6. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmm, the theme of the game may be somewhat too soon-ish, but i disagree with the vehemence with which the dev is being slammed.

All revenue is being contributed to the Red Cross, so i'm not sure how this makes the dev a 'classless jerk', and the game is fundamentally based around helping people in a tragic circumstance.

Classless would be making a game where you try to destroy a japanese city using an earthquake, tsunami, and a nuclear reactor meltdown, and charging for it, and NOT donating anything to help the real-world crisis.

But yeah- too soon, man, too soon.

7. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    'Japan' shouldn't be a part of the game's name, IMO. Change it to anything else and STILL donate proceeds to the Red Cross... win-win.

Chopper Rescue
    Emergency Choppers
    Emergency Evac
    Evac Control
    etc
    etc
    etc

8. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah- KiddToKMart has it locked down!

The pixel graphics have a nice retro- charm to them, so it would be a shame if the dev pulled this in its entirety- maybe a good name change, still keeping the honourable theme, and i'd buy it no problem.

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The obvious take-away is this: Despite the charitable intent, the disaster in Japan was NO game. It's insensitive to ignore that fact.

Then again, I'm sure Afghani "insurgents" don't think too highly of Medal Of Honor. In the news, they're called insurgents. They consider themselves guerrillas, fending off a foreign invader. But, hey... as long as the gov't says it's cool, then who cares, right? :rolleyes:

10. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Point taken.

11. Coding Dutchmen

Mar 2, 2011
    Wow

Hi all,

Wow, we hadn't expected such a heavy response.. Of course we're aware that the game is a tad controversial, but way we see it, the main point is always that this is for the people of Japan. Referencing the country in the name of the application will only raise awareness of the purpose of the game.

Honestly, we would expect the application to raise less money if it was called 'Chopper Rescue' or something like that. And that would mean less money for the Red Cross, which means less support for the victims.

So, though we could have been more subtle about it, this is a weighed decision with good intentions at heart.

We sincerely hope you can respect that view.

Best,
    Coding Dutchmen

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #12 psj3809, Mar 24, 2011
    Hmm bit of a bizarre idea i must admit

Good intentions but the game could have been anything else with the proceeds going towards the fund

Years ago when Live Aid was around there was also 'Soft Aid'. Where i think it was 10 games which had been released were bundled together so you bought this cheap compilation of games and the money went towards Ethiopia.

Worked very well, raised a ton of money. Like i say these were games which had been released but now were added to this compilation. Did any of these games have 'feed the starving child' etc ? Course it didnt. Thats why this game seems a bit bizarre, great intentions with the money but a 'game' based on picking people out of the floods and saving them. Think thats wrong

I bought Football Manager the other week as they were giving the proceeds towards Japan. They didnt have to create a 'Japan Football Manager' version specially or that

13. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    im down....pixels......

14. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    #14 DusT_HounD, Mar 24, 2011
    @ Coding Dutchmen:
    yeah, definitely it's a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' kind of situation.

It's certainly possible to see it from both angles, as for example Coledaddy and I did, and although i disagreed with it, his response was still just as valid as anyone else's, and was a completely understandable interpretation. However i guess that what HAS happened is that we're talking about the game, and hopefully raising awareness.

From your posts here, and from reading your blog, you guys come across as having completely honourable intentions, and i for one will be purchasing once i get home from work tonight (it's available now, right?). Best of luck to the endeavour, and i hope that you are able to raise a decent amount!

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That part is just your own projection. They didn't say the actual disaster was a game... but this is.

This whole thing is only offensive if you choose to read into it that way, and if you do you're probably the kind of person who goes looking for something to kick off against... which is a very Western trait in itself. I doubt even Japan would see this game in such a bad light compared to somewhere like the US. The bottom line is it's a game about helping people in trouble, and by playing it you genuinely will be helping people in trouble.

16. Coding Dutchmen

Mar 2, 2011
    Of course, it didn't have to be about Japan, but as we lined out earlier, it was intended to raise awareness.

We wouldn't mind donating all the proceeds of our other apps, but it wouldn't be the amount of cash they need in Japan right now - they don't create revenue like Football Manager does.

17. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    #17 icepulse, Mar 24, 2011
    B******t.

They're making a GAME based on a nation's recent tragedy. Spin it however you like, it's the same.

If it was your grandmother who was washed away into a crevice, you'd be singing a different tune.

18. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    Come on guys, no need to get angry!

The most important question is, will you buy it, thereby making a contribution to the fundraising?

19. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    I did my part here:

http://www.lullatone.com/

20. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    wow, I really don't see how this is in bad taste at all. The dev does clearly care about what happened in Japan; rescuing people from buildings?? since when is that bad taste? maybe it's a little soon for some people to be playing a game about it, but I seriously think people need to calm down and stop bashing people who are legitimately trying to help.