Scary AppStore bug

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by aikavari, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Yup. I got a refund after my account was charged for downloading an app which went free! It was clearly labeled free in the free section, yet I was charged! So I complained and got my money back the same day.

2. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Thanks for the info, and by the way Gov, by crappy I meant immediate crashers and no updates, or mistake downloads.

3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

#23 Anonomation, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Another question: what does apple give refunds for? Is there a certain reason/ reasons? I wanna be sure for future purchases. Also how do you ask for them? (Apple noob- 1 year)

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You can request a refund from Apple on a limited basis, they might give one refund but decline others following it. Usually they would grant a refund for technical issues or quality complaints but likely Apple just refunds as a courtesy. When given a refund the app is eradicated from your purchase history and cannot be downloaded again without re-purchase. In my opinion there's rare exceptions that would warrant requesting a refund and I've never had to pursue one.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The only refunds i've ever got is when i've bought a game which said 'works with ipod 4th gen...' and it clearly doesnt.

Too many people seem to want a refund for simply not liking a game, that makes a whole mockery of it and i think Apple obviously denies those

6. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I haven't encountered this bug, but I've accidentally purchased games before whilst scrolling through top lists shortly after logging in.
    It was a few months ago now, so I don't know if they've changed it.
    But if you've recently logged in, and you touch buy twice, it downloads the game without needing a password or confirmation so it's prone for accidental purchases.. Maybe I'm just a sausage fingered klutz.

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Well, Apple has a system where you can get refunds. And so far I got everything back, even IAP. If is there and you can use it, I dont see any problem with it. I dont want any of my money to go into the wrong place anymore. There are thousands of apps, better if my money goes to the right developer.

For example: I bought IAP not so long ago, 3 euros nontheless, and the thing is that they charged me but I didnt get anything in return. So I sent an email to my "agent". She returned the money right away. I bought another game with that money. It works.

Another example: I bouht Cut the Rope 2 but with so many schemes I returned it. With that I bought WingDot, giving my money to honest hard working people who dont want to rip you off.

So returning things works and everyone should do it. You feel cheated by a description? Return it. You feel like the IAP makes it unfar? Return it! And so on... its your right to do so. And to sustain a honest market.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #28 psj3809, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Maybe you've been lucky but i've read a few times that Apple only lets you get your money back a few times a year, if someone keeps doing it it sounds a bit too OTT.

I do feel if people dont do their homework then they shouldnt get their money back. If i bought a game in the 80s/90s it was always difficult to return it if theres nothing wrong with it ! Just because you dont like it isnt a great reason to return it.

Nowadays theres videos to watch, sometimes 'lite' versions, but review sites etc. But of course if you buy an IAP and you dont get it of course you should get your money back, if a game is advertised for ipod 4th gen and doesnt clearly work of course you should get your money back.

As much as i hate IAP's i dont think you should return a game all because you feel ripped off because its IAP heavy or has lots of different schemes etc. The app store isnt a clothes shop where you can just return something as you dont like it, if theres an error/bug/description wrong then fair enough. But i dont think people should be allowed to get their money back for apps they simply dont like

With a film you check reviews, ask friends, then watch it at the cinema. If 20 mins into the film you think 'dont like this...' you cant get your money back !

9. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Yeah, not every single one of them of course, perhaps once a month. I think I get everything back because I spend it again on the AppStore right away on another game so Apple still wins. I think its because of that. If I didnt buy anything else and asked for another their answer shoud be no. And that would be fair.

10. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Check on your email receipts for games and it'll have a link in it I somewhere saying report a problem, just follow the instructions and apple will get back to pretty quickly.

I've reported a problem twice, one was for a game that totally didn't work and the dev was extremely vague about when to expect a fix, the other was that a game was listed as four years and iver but contained a lot of unsuitable language for a four year old, I dint actually want a refund just to alert that it was in wrong category but they gave me refund.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know what you mean. When i first got my ipod touch i stupidly dropped it on a concrete floor about 4 weeks later. Took it to the apple store, guy was tapping away (think looking at my account), probably saw i buy SO many apps and then gave me a free replacement ! Love Apple for that alone

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    I have a similar experience. When my iPhone broke and didnt want to charge anymore I called them, and he told me this "I see you dont have a Customer Call and arent allowed to to use this service but looking at your account"... they replaced it without any cost... but my carrier did charge me :mad:". So that let me to belive they rate users based on how much we spend on iOS. So... Sanuku is king right?

13. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I wonder how much Sanuku shells out for games monthly? In the hundreds or thousands?

14. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    I wonder the same thing... and wish for an approximate number

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Can't that much.