Apple rejects Hunted Cow WW II game for labeling Germans and Russians "enemies"?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Mar 13, 2014.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Apple is getting crazy. Not sure if anyone saw this on Pocket Tactics but this is ridiculous. It's HISTORY.

It's like I currently live in the Southern US. If a Civil War game came out, I wouldn't throw a fit if it depicted the North as being on the right side of the battle. Just like I'm sure most Germans would agree that Nazis were on the wrong side of WW II.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/apple-rejects-tank-battle-1942-depicting-germans-russians-enemies/

Getting way too PC if this keeps happening.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wow. Childish? Think that's the first time I've been called that before on these forums.

Whatever. I guess real history is too adult for me. Yikes.

3. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Lol. Typical Apple. Always play it safe.

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Awp, dont take this the wrong way, but I think only Americans think that there is a "right" and a "wrong" side in a war.

And only Americans could get mad, when they are not allowed to call the people from the other side enemies.

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #5 JCho133, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    Only babies make logical points. Go play with your rattle :p

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    So you think the Nazis and the extermination of Jews wasn't the wrong side? And that slavery in the case of the Civil War was the right side?

I think more than Americans would agree that the Holocaust and slavery were bad things. There were plenty of other wars that it's more of a grey area.

All I'm saying also is that if you play as the Americans, English, French, Polish or "allied" countries, what's wrong with saying the other side was the enemy? If a game allows you to play as Germans them they could call us enemies.

It's all just history and to sanitize it just to be politically correct is silly. It was a war. So do we need to say the guys we are fighting are just the "other side".

I'm not going to get into a political battle but to patronize Americans as the only people who think there is a right and wrong is also ridiculous. Hell, at least unlike other countries we're happy to call out our government when we think they're wrong.

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Jesus, you really want to get into this discussion?

Only a selected few (compared to the mass) of the germans knew about the concentration camps. And why do people always start with concentration camps when there are Nazis mentioned? There were concentration camps before, there were concentration camps after that, there are concentration camps today. It's just the damn Bernays and his propaganda. Americans threw two atomic bombs on completely innocent people as well, not even knowing what consequences it would have and still has. Why gets this mentioned so rarely? Nobody ever mentions how innocent Germans were treated after WW1 as well.

Anyway, I think it's completely alright if you play as an American and another ally calls Germans "enemies". But it's definitely not appropriate if the game's narrative says that they are the enemies.

8. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#8 ednan, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    If you are a german, you might find that germans are not enemies, even if you dislike what the Nazis did.

There is no right or wrong side in a war. Each one has their own interests. Don't be naïve to think that the Allies were trying to save the world. They were just trying to save their butts and their economic interests.
    That said, it's a quite simple fix. Just remove the references. No big deal. And spot on decision from Apple reviewers.

By the way, throwing 2 atomic bombs isn't exactly a good example. Sorry but you should go study and think about your values before saying stupid things like that.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    ^^ Not to keep going on this, but if you think I think Americans have always done the right thing, you're wrong. I don't think the atomic bombs were the right thing to do. Just like not all Americans supported slavery and we fought each other over it.

And I don't think any war game is saying that "all" Germans or Americans or whatever are enemies. It's just in war, of course you are going to call the other army's troops enemies. I'm sure there were Nazi troops that didn't believe in what they were fighting for.

Anyway, just think it's silly to have a war game and not be able to use the term "enemy". It's not like either side went up and hugged each other.

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That makes zero sense because it's in the context of a historical event. Back in the time of WWII, the Germans were the American's enemies. And vice versa.

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    The key here is it's all about perspective. It isn't that any one side is the enemy, it's simply the opposition. You can play several different scenarios on each side, with the other side always being "the enemy". Apple rejecting it is loony, with several other games having the same dynamics in place, specifically history war gaming.

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Exactly.

13. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I agree completely with both you and AWP69, but most, if not all games depicting WW2 I've played in my life use monikers as "Axis" and "Allied".

It's more descriptive, and definitely a less description of the combatants.

If I would hazard a guess, that's what the developers will end up using too.

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Up with Apple, down with Hunted Cow! I wish Apple would start censoring more of the crap shovelware that floods the App Store; their criteria is totally skewed.

15. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Apple did the right thing. Germans shouldn't be labeled enemies.

16. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    In the context of the WW2 the German forces (and their allies) were "enemies" of the American, British, Russian and Canadian forces (and their allies) and vice versa. Has the term enemy become politically incorrect?
    As for the issue of "right and wrong" being brought up in the thread, I'll avoid any controversy or expression of opinion and say that war does not bring out the best qualities or behaviour in individuals or of countries as a whole.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #17 awp69, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    I don't think ANYONE is saying Germans are enemies in general. It's just a freaking war game based on history. And depending on what side you were on, the other side was the enemy.

And that's the problem. It's like you can't say anything these days without it being taken out of context and having to be all politically correct.

As ScotDamn says, it's just typical of ANY war game. Are people playing playing a sci-fi game going to start saying "oh my God, we can't call the aliens enemies"?

Play a game of Risk and invade other countries. How dare we call the blue color an enemy. We might offend them!

I did, admittedly, start with the rationale that in World War II, the Germans (and I should have said Nazi Germans) were "enemies" because they were killing millions of Jews and invading other countries. That isn't something to be proud of. But I was saying it in the context of history of the war itself. Not saying that even all Germans were Nazis. And certainly not saying that all Germans even believed in what their government and Hitler was doing. Just like I don't agree with everything America does or what Obama or Bush or any other leader choses to do.

But putting all of that aside. I shouldn't have even brought up who was right and who was wrong (go ahead and defend Hitler all you want for all I care). I should have just said it's a game. And in games about war, you typically call your opponent your enemy. Whether you are fighting against America, Russia, Australia, Brazil or Iraq. In the context of a war game, whichever side you fight on, the other army is the enemy. How hard is that to grasp? Why is that such a "bad" thing to say in a video game?

There's a lot of much more controversial things that happen in video games. Hmm...Grand Theft Auto. It's OK to go around stealing cars, nailing prostitutes and blowing people to bits. But if we call them the "enemy" ---- watch out! We might offend drug dealers!

I guess all war games should just be about fake countries so no one can get offended.

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Crappy Germans have infiltrated Apple! First they get rights to the Beatles collection, now they're trying to erase World War II... this can only mean a new era of history set by Apple. Not only are the most "valuable brand in the world" but now they are also the arbiters of popular knowledge on music and world history. Pretty soon they'll ret-con the Cold War as having involved red birds and green pigs.

19. anteye5

anteye5 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    And then they throw apples in there.

20. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #20 Rip73, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Well I'll quote the post I put in the thread started by the developer just to clarify rule 15.3 for some.
    While I do feel bad for the developer and have a very pro developer disposition, the rule is clearly there and the rule was clearly broken and the developer should have had enough familiarity with the rules to know it would be rejected without feeling the need to publicise it with an article and a thread on here.

The same rule applies to any portrayed nationality/corporation/individual/government/racial group and so on and so forth in existence today, so if someone decided to make a game based around, for example, the events at Hiroshima and denote the Americans as "the enemy", that too would be rejected under the same rule. Or an American civil war game that denoted either side as "the enemy". And the list of examples could go on and on.

Ultimately though, it is an equal and fair balanced rule designed to not allow apps through that have a derogatory or hateful personal or political agenda against any grouping, irrelevant of who that grouping is.

The fact that there is a big deal being made about a morally correct rule is the ridiculous part.