Looking for a... Newer.. Or an older rpg that no one looks at much, but is great.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TaiyrTress, Oct 3, 2011.

1. TaiyrTress

TaiyrTress Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Gaming? Or something cool. :)
    Unicorn fun park.
    So uhh, I've been searching for awhile, and my conclusion comes to.. Aralon doesn't interest me... Gamevil's krpgs, or whatever, don't hold my attention for very long.. xD. I've kind of been wanting a platform rpg thats not grind this grind that. A platform rpg that has a nice in-depth storyline. I'm also looking for maybe a strategy mixed rpg. (No TD plz hehe) It would be great if someone could give me suggestions. Thanks. :)

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Crimson Gem Saga
    Final Fantasy III
    Ash
    Chaos Rings
    Galaxy on Fire 2
    Across Age DX

3. TaiyrTress

Oct 3, 2011
    Unicorn fun park.
    Ahaah, expensive taste? Eh. I looked up Crimson Gem, and thought it looked great, so theres my buy. I'll get tactics whrn they release ipad version.. x.x need ipod games to occupy me during class. Y'know. :) thanks.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Check out The War of Eustrath, too, if you want an SRPG similar to Super Robot Wars.

5. TaiyrTress

Oct 3, 2011
    Unicorn fun park.
    Ok, I'll check that one out too. Gotta still save some money for 3DS games though. =_= Darn all the low priced smartphone apps.

6. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #6 backtothis, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    Good choice. It's a direct port of the PSP game. One of the best, if not the best, JRPGs on the AppStore. Expensive taste? I have Gamevil's and Com2uS' RPGs as well; I didn't think they fit what you were looking for. The only cheap RPGs you'll find are pretty much KRPGs.

7. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Yea, backtothis is right. CGS is by far my favorite RPG in the App Store.

8. TaiyrTress

Oct 3, 2011
    Unicorn fun park.
    Just joined the forum tonight.. Lol, already got 2 promo codes, a great game downloading, and very nice people n quick responses. Amazing forum going here. :) thanks.

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It's as good as it gets as far as gaming forums are concerned here on TA. For anything related to the iOS, there's really nowhere else you need to even bother checking. The community here is excellent and what really makes TA a great place to be.

10. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Ooo rah!

11. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    One question: Why do you insist on the game being fairly unknown? I buy games if they seems enjoyable to me, regardless of what other people think of it.

Also, note that Crimson Gem Saga is turn-based, so it will not satisfy your prerequisite of being a platform rpg. The storyline starts out seeming kinda cliched at first but ramps up, especially at the very end. And the controls might annoy you at first, but definitely don't give up on them in half an hour like some people do. Take the time to get used to them-- it shouldn't be long-- and you will have yourself one of the best (and most underrated/unpopular) games in the App Store.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I think he meant platform as in a "console-like" RPG, haha.

13. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    have a look at our game Companions. a lite version is out too, so you can check it out before buying.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Here's a couple of semi-random suggestions that may or may not fit your criteria:

Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes

Think Choose-Your-Own-Adventure with stats, equipment and combat! Excellent story in this gamebook, I'd start with this one unless the theme of one of the other GA titles interests you more. Very much story driven, no grinding (unless you count restarting the book in case you get killed!) Presentation is better than the other gamebook apps, and there are extras in there that reward you for exploration (and give you something to do besides just complete the book.)

Fabled Lands II Gold Edition

A very different take on a gamebook, this one is more of an open-ended RPG. With the addition of each book, the world expands. A little more RPG and a little less story driven than other gamebooks.

If you like these, you may want to check out the Fighting Fantasy apps as well.

The Quest (+ expansions)

If you can handle turn-based older graphics, this is a role playing game with amazing scope. It's got a good overreaching story and many different ways to play the game. The world is completely open for you to explore (and get killed in) right off the bat. Most people complain that there's so much going on that they get lost in the beginning - but if you stay in town and talk to everybody to begin with, things are manageable. Game does keep track of open/completed/failed quests in a menu you can review.

15. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    same just joined

16. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    ummmmm lol this is really random and off topic but im new here n i was wondering how to make threads... could some1 please tell me?

17. TaiyrTress

Oct 3, 2011
    Unicorn fun park.
    Hey, I'll check your game out too. :)

18. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Ash for certain and for one with a great sense of humor Yipe 5. Both totally not on anyone's radar ('cept back to this mentioned Ash - sorry auto correct is making your name wacky if I spell it all as one word) but SO worth it.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #19 undeadcow, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    Symphony of Eternity looks like a worthy JRPG but I've yet to pull that trigger.

+1 to love for The Quest, which is amazing.