Do you think a console game should also have a mobile to launch

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jayg2015, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    What do u guys think about a console game being accompanied with a mobile game to help promote it. Either a mobile that can interact with the console version or a game entirely different just to promote its console release.
    I think it's kind of like a movie having a trailer to promote it or a TV series to go with the movie .

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Not really. I think it just cheapens the mobile platform. Precisely what we're wanting to get beyond here.

3. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Well if you think about it if the mobile is better than the console u just start taking over console gamers as well if they see the potential of what mobile had to offer

4. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    In the current status yes I agree with you, but let's say this game companion app makes an astounding amount, that would give developers an idea on how much money can be made, take for example Fallout: Shelter, a game that was not even aggressive about iAP!

So in the short term yes it degrades iOS but in the long term it could offer insight to developers on the money to be made.

5. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Which then leads to more and more degrading as more and more people seeing as a platform to milk money out of. Look at the MKX companion game. Doesn't even have fatalities, energy system, and just a rehashing of another game they've already made just like what almost everyone else is doing at this point.

So, I think it's always in an effort to gain money but don't really care whether or not developers do decide to make companion games.

6. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    so if the mobile game outshines the console version wouldn't it be better for mobile gaming

7. Anonomation

If the mobile version outshines the console version people are gonna blame the dev for not putting as much effort into the console version. A companion app shouldn't be better than the actual app itself, and no one in their right mind would make it so.

How many times has a mobile app actually outshined a console one, and not by sales and monetary gain, but by actual gameplay?

8. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #8 Jayg2015, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Just want to include I've never played a fallout game before but when fallout shelter was released I loved it. I then when and bought one fallout game for Xbox 360 and then two weeks later another one. I believe they have been out for awhile and have seen them at GameStop with no intention of ever buying them. They have nothing to do with shelter really but it got me familiar with the games theme and characters in a way and now I'm a fan and IMO the mobile is better than the games on console . I like fallout shelters game style and genre more but they got me to buy two Xbox games.

I hope Nintendo does something major with this topic because they have the potential to do anything with their risk taking and innovative ideas for gaming. If anyone can do it they can.

Also...
    Do u think the same dev or dev team would make the mobile and the console game or would they hire a team that has already built and succeeded at making mobile games

9. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Guess you missed the point Anonomation, Monetary gain for developers was my point. Never has gameplay been good in a companion app, but the money is there to be made. That's my point, The money will hopefully bring more developers, shite companion apps at first and then full fledged mobiles !

10. Anonomation

Monetary gain from lazy companion app's brings more monetary gain for even lazier companion apps. It just doesn't work that way.

Why spend money on extra development for the game when they can make the same amount witha really cheap spin-off?

11. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I'm a bit wary of "companion apps/accessories" that enhance gameplay or are "required" to get certain features. For example, even though I don't have a Wii U, the Ambioo thing was sort of a turn off. If it's a physical component in limited quantities for the Super Smash Bros. game on Wii U, then I'd rather not get sucked into overpaying for these things (whether if it's at regular prices or inflated ones).

If it's strictly just to promote it, then it's something I can always ignore or delete later on.

If it's just there to promote things like with movies, then I'm fine with that. For example, after seeing Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, I realized there were some shorts on YouTube about a few random events that happened between it's predecessor (Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes) and the 10 year time frame leading to this movie.

If it's an alternative way to play the game, then I'll see which one suits my tastes. For example, I tried playing Castlestorm: Free To Siege on my IpT5. I've gotten through the 1st campaign, and half of the 2nd one. However, the freemium model of having gems, and one-time offers is really getting to me more than I anticipated. As such, I'm thinking about just paying $15 for the game + its 2 extra campaigns on Steam to avoid all of that ruckus. Plus, the devs get more of my $$, without Apple taking their cut, I get a nice big screen, and my IpT5 battery has lost some luster since the 2 years I've had it.

12. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Interesting points of views from everyone really . Ide still personally love to see what Nintendo does with their upcoming game next month .
    Hope it's a splatoon game.
    I know they have what it takes to do the mobile companion app

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont think they should have a mobile game to launch. Sometimes the iOS app is a companion app which is frustrating (as i dont have the console game anyway)

Or more often than not the app is just a cheap knocked out rubbish game just to launch with the movie or console game.

14. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    But if done right big corp companies will start spending big money to make them huge. Mulitmillion dollar mobile game would b out of this world

15. Anonomation

-make them more huge money outlets.

Look at EA and RR3. That's not a companion app although it's an example of what big corps do to wonderful games. Maybe the best.