★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
02-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Which device are you on?
iPad mini 4
02-05-2016, 04:09 PM
I like such games... Unfortunately I can't complete the tutorial during the selection of spell of Druid.. It should be fixed in the next release I hope. This game has a lot of potential it looks great and if u are a fan of Civilizations and/or homm you will probably feel at home here.
However please be warned the game is extremely tiny even on iPhone 6 Plus. It looks good and probably created for ipad.
Well for now just hope they fix the tutorial

02-05-2016, 06:32 PM
@talbs: Nothing freemiumy here, I dare say after a few hours. I guess they didn't have experience making good trailers.

@klink: First impression: *great* value for the initial price. Everything looks very polished, immensely huge helpfiles, lots and lots of details and content. You can tell this was heavily inspired by Master of Magic at every step. If Planar can keep it up, we might have a worthy spiritual successor here. Will take me weeks - maybe even months - until I played through what's available; and if I am still with it then, shelling out another 20 bucks is a nobrainer.
If I remember right, just the *expansion* for Lords of Magic cost more way back when.

A pricetag of 20 or even 30 bucks for the whole game in one go (instead of DLC) might have been justified, but suicide in the current Appstore climate. Even with the 12€ price, I am sure they will struggle immensely. It's not a well-known franchise like XCOM with its large cult following, after all. And the Worlds of Magic negative press doesn't make things easier, I'm sure.

@Rinoa: I got the Tutorial bug, too. But no biggie for veteran players. For newcomers sure, completing the Tutorial would be nice. But you'll have to read the help anyways, so it's forgivable as long as they fix it soon.

@ojtitus: Drains my Air's battery like no tomorrow, too. And it gets quite hot, which I don't like too much.

Now, onto the meat of things:
I started with only the first Plane, High Men, and the Paladiness (Protection and Life spells).
Good starting moves seem to be:
- If you have several Forest tiles, build a Sawmill right away. If not, Farmer's Market. Armory next.
- Build another unit in between.
- Summon Magic Spirits, 3 at least. They scout and grab stuff automatically, gives a nice boost in the beginning.
- Then start casting other things. I just completed my first permanent unit enchantment spell. Maybe alternate between buffs and 2 more Spirits.
- Wait till your city grows an additional population, then build a Settler (almost there).

Well, that's it for now. I am still very early in the game, turn 10 or so. Will build a Settler next, then another combat unit. Got lucky with finding some Engineers, have them build roads already.
Stay tuned for our next episode of "News from the Council Chamber", coming soon to a cinema near you.

Last edited by Nullzone; 02-05-2016 at 06:41 PM.
02-05-2016, 06:58 PM
I found another nasty bug.. Clicking the notification icon on the left will pop up a window that can't be closed thus obstructing the map view... Quite buggy. But the game is huge!!! So many options to tinker that even veterans will be confused I think
02-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I got in on the worlds of magic Kickstarter, full disclosure, but if this is seriously master of magic on iPad, like not a cut up and watered down version, I'm gonna buy this too.

The worlds of magic release was very rough, but there's literally no 4x that deep on iPad right now.

Last edited by CalinR; 02-05-2016 at 07:52 PM.
02-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Can you turn off that jarring grid on the overland map? Not sure I could look at that for long.
02-05-2016, 11:53 PM
I don't think I ever played a game like this, an someone tell me what it plays like and how it is ??
02-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by esty8nine View Post
I don't think I ever played a game like this, an someone tell me what it plays like and how it is ??
No clue how well they pulled it off but I know the game that inspired it, Master of Magic, was a very clever fantasy take on Civilization with the game's schools of magic blatantly derived from the 6 colors of spells found in the card game, Magic the Gathering.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-06-2016, 12:39 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the screenshots and videos are contradictory.

Is landscape mode an option (or required)?

I really hate playing in-depth games like this on my iPad in portrait mode.
02-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
with the game's schools of magic blatantly derived from the 6 colors of spells found in the card game, Magic the Gathering.
Do you have a source for that? I am honestly curious, as I cannot remember anyone making that connection when MoM was released. First time I hear this. I always thought they were developed independent of each other.

@Tinsel: No worries, it's landscape.

Last edited by Nullzone; 02-06-2016 at 01:05 AM.