★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
09-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin View Post
I'm Allan, one of the devs for Legends of Callasia.
Hey, Allan! Awesome to see you turn up in the TA forums. Very few things endear a game and its developers to us TAers more than an active conversation with the player base.

The price is anything but ugly. I'd gladly have payed the full 25 dollars. 15 is a steal. But yes, this might not be a common sentiment.

As for your AMA offering, take a look at my post just above yours when you've the time. Can we expect either of these essential functionalities any time soon?

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
09-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin View Post
Hi,
and have been sitting (in a corner, rocking back and forth) waiting for Apple to finish their review and post the fixed version live since. 2 days never felt so long.
I can quite vividly imagine that.

Quote:
Let's move to the bad; we know even 14.99 is high for a mobile game.
I like your thinking on the price. I'm a huge fan of free demos. I'd rather pay more for a game I know I like than cross my fingers on $5.

At $25 I'd be very leery of buying - I'd want a lot of replayability, and - generous as the demo is - it isn't enough to make me secure about that.

At $15, though, I'm definitely in.

09-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Hello Allan, great to see you here, very much appreciated.

Thanks for the IAP explanation, saves me the trouble of writing a bugreport Will wait for the update to arrive.
And for the record: I was perfectly fine with the 25$ pricepoint. Callasia definitely looks like it's worth it, and made a great impression with the 3 free stages.

Gameplay/balance - First Faefolk stage "Straits of Dranacor":
In the first Faefolk stage, you have the optional objective to help the Orcs/Kingdoms to wipe the other off the map.
I only tried Orcs, and in 5 or 6 attempts I could not get the objective, and got very much curbstomped by the Revenant enemy as I had to spread my forces over 2+ fronts.
I gave up on it, and restarted the stage. This time, I rushed the Undead Capital, steamrolled the few troops they had there and won in under 10 turns. Either I just got very (un)lucky, or the balance is a tad out of whack.

And a question: When you send tribute to an AI ally, do they make use of that Gold?
In the above scenario (allied with the Orcs on Fae stage 1), I sent them a few thousand Gold I had lying around to strengthen their warchest, but never saw them bringing out the armies they could buy with that money.

Last, I am not sure if requiring an account with you to purchase the full game on iOS is a good design decision. I'd imagine that it puts a lot of people off for various reasons (too much extra effort, "*another* account? Nope, thanks, pass.", etc.). My first reaction was on the "too much effort" side, would surprise me if I'm alone with that.
For people like me who don't want/need the sync with Steam and whatnot, could you offer a purchase option without account if it's not too much work to implement?

Last edited by Nullzone; 09-12-2016 at 09:15 AM.
09-12-2016, 09:51 AM
does IAP purchase working now? It seems not works to me
Everytime I cliked the purchase button, nothing happens.
09-12-2016, 10:08 AM
If the price is indeed 14,99$ you have me as a customer because from playing only the tutorial I feel the game is worth it and I hate free to play.
09-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by auver View Post
does IAP purchase working now? It seems not works to me
Everytime I cliked the purchase button, nothing happens.
Not yet, I just tried too ~30 minutes ago. Update is not available yet, Netherlands here.

@odin: your comment sounds as if Apple already approved the update and you put it live? Or are you waiting for Apple approval still?
09-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Hi guys! Monika here, also from the Callasia dev team. I'm also Monika in-game if you'd like to play some multiplayer matches some time. As Allan said, we're all active on both Discord and Twitch. It would be great if you could drop by and also meet some of the other Callasia players!

To clarify, the update has been submitted to Apple, and we're still waiting for review. Hopefully we get approval soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Gameplay/balance - First Faefolk stage "Straits of Dranacor":
In the first Faefolk stage, you have the optional objective to help the Orcs/Kingdoms to wipe the other off the map.
I only tried Orcs, and in 5 or 6 attempts I could not get the objective, and got very much curbstomped by the Revenant enemy as I had to spread my forces over 2+ fronts.
I gave up on it, and restarted the stage. This time, I rushed the Undead Capital, steamrolled the few troops they had there and won in under 10 turns. Either I just got very (un)lucky, or the balance is a tad out of whack.

And a question: When you send tribute to an AI ally, do they make use of that Gold?
In the above scenario (allied with the Orcs on Fae stage 1), I sent them a few thousand Gold I had lying around to strengthen their warchest, but never saw them bringing out the armies they could buy with that money.

Last, I am not sure if requiring an account with you to purchase the full game on iOS is a good design decision. I'd imagine that it puts a lot of people off for various reasons (too much extra effort, "*another* account? Nope, thanks, pass.", etc.). My first reaction was on the "too much effort" side, would surprise me if I'm alone with that.
For people like me who don't want/need the sync with Steam and whatnot, could you offer a purchase option without account if it's not too much work to implement?
Hi Nullzone!
I shared your feedback on the first Faeborne campaign with the designers to check if it needs adjustments. But what we have now is already a result of continuous re-balancing since our Early Access on Steam in February. Either way, that objective is, as described, optional.

As for the Ally AI using gold, it is likely that they have reached the population limit (max troop count) so even if they had the money, they couldn't hire any new troops.

We understand that creating an account is indeed an extra step, but aside from being a requirement to purchase, it's also a requirement to play online multiplayer. Other than Steam, you can also sync across your other mobile devices (if you have another iPad). It would also help us fix specific issues to your accounts, and if you register an email address (optional), it helps in password recovery. You can also create multiple free accounts on a single device, if you have a friend or family member who also uses it.

If you'd like to go in detail on these, we can answer your questions extensively live on Twitch. Our stream schedule is Monday 7PM EST, Tuesday 10PM EST, Wednesday 7AM EST.
09-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Hi Monika, thanks for chiming in, and so quickly to boot

No worries, creating an account was just a minor hassle, it goes fast and smooth, no complaints about that. Still, it's a small additional barrier before a purchase.

It would help to mention what you wrote in the account creation description. As it's quite some text, I'd add a button "more info" and put it on a separate screen. Replace the current text ("to verify purchase") with something like "needed for multiplayer and multi-platform play", that will make it clearer and should help to overcome any reluctance folks might have.

Ah, wish I had time for hopping by on Discord/Twitch. Maybe on a weekend evening, when the kid's in bed already

Which reminds me to second Ayjona's request for async multiplayer. I almost never have the time to sit down for more than 30 minutes in a row, so realtime MP is pretty much out for me. Async would alleviate that constraint, a turn shouldn't take longer than a minute or three to place. Much better suited for folks with little spare time.

Re: AI and Gold:
I don't think the Orcs had hit their unit cap. One, they always got slaughtered by the Kingdoms when a fight broke out. And two, in one turn Kingdoms killed all Orc heroes, and I gave them 3000 Gold the next turn. When the heroes respawned, they got butchered again, didn't look as if they bought good units with all that money.

Will give that first Fae stage another shot, see if I can make it work. However, even an optional objective shouldn't be that hard to complete in the first stage of a campaign. Unless you are going all-out sadistic with the difficulty, that is
09-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Agree with Nullzone, requiring account creation will deter many potential mobile customers who would otherwise have no issue with cost. For customers who don't want or need this benefit, couldn't you create a guest account automatically only prompting for and requiring email credentials for those wanting to take advantage of cross platform sync?
09-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkarafo View Post
It's disturbing the first main screen with the pentagon and the undead. I don't know for others but I would NOT like to see every time the pentagon when starting the game. Sure it has magic, fantasy, etc but not all the people like satanic symbols, especially in front of your face.
Almost missed that one.
FYI: a pentagram is not (necessarily) satanic, go tell that to e.g. a Wiccan or Mormon and wait for the reaction
With all its presence in fantasy and occult lore, in this context I find any religious interpretation quite off the whack.