★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: [Soft Launch CA] The Elder Scrolls: Legends (by Bethesda)

01-04-2017, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailon80 View Post
iPad only dammit
Can anyone say if this will always be iPad only
Been waiting for this one bad
I even have a Canada account
A few posters have said iPhone will come.

Have downloaded and played the first chapter. I have to say this is a very slick game and well worth sticking with.
I bailed out on HS too early and regretted it so I'm keen to stay with this one as it scratches all the CCG itches I have.
(Ingame name PaganF0x)
01-04-2017, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
Since so many posters have praised the solo mode, does this game have an offline portion? Or once they pull the plug everything is gone?
No offline functionality. Competitive CCGs rely on central databases to prevent cheating, maintain progression, collect metrics, etc. Outside of VERY limited practice modes (such as Magic Duel's limited offline functionality), you'll probably never see an offline-enabled digital multiplayer CCG (at least not one with functional competitive multiplayer).

(But you should definitively file a feature suggestion for an offline practice mode with Bethesda, though!)

It seems unlikely you need worry about your collection going down the unplugged sink any time soon, however. Legends has been received very well, mostly. It already has a very dedicated community of content providers, fans and competitive arrangements, has the backing of an industry giant, and sports all the trappings of a budding CCG esport. It enters a market space that is highly lucrative, shows no signs of losing its appeal to gamers, and that might as well remain a relevant gaming paradigm for as long as any other genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailon80 View Post
iPad only dammit
Can anyone say if this will always be iPad only
Been waiting for this one bad
I even have a Canada account
Yer in luck! iPhone and Android tablets and phones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
Good to know, thanks. I'll check back then. Interested to see just how similar (or not) the phone UI is and how long between releases for the respective devices.
Yeah, that's the question that keeps me up all day (when I should be sleeping after playing Legends all night) as well. I so do hope Dire Wolf don’t take cues from Blizzard’s inexplicably antagonistic decision to have us tap our hands before we can tap to drag cards from it on the iPhone.

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 01-04-2017 at 05:59 AM.

01-04-2017, 06:20 AM
Good about phones too
I haven't played this one yet and was waiting to play it on mobile first
01-04-2017, 07:04 AM
It is still amazing. This beta is going on for a long time now though, with maybe only one or two updates a month. I'm not sure if DWD is putting all of their time and effort into Eternal at the moment, or really what they are working on next for tesl.

The limited art bundle, madhouse collection, and chaos arena (all in December) make me hopeful for the future though.
01-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Online CCG Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
No offline functionality. Competitive CCGs rely on central databases to prevent cheating, maintain progression, collect metrics, etc. Outside of VERY limited practice modes (such as Magic Duel's limited offline functionality), you'll probably never see an offline-enabled digital multiplayer CCG (at least not one with functional competitive multiplayer).
Thanks for making this clear, Magic 2013: Duel of the Planeswalkers actually had both online and offline functionality without limitations. After Magic 2014, most developers started incorporating the online-only DRM in CCGs. In any case, I was very fortunate to have been able to play the BETA on PC last year; hopefully the game can do well on iOS as well.

[ - PREMIUM Whale - ]
01-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Reporting a sound issue on my iPad 4 since the release. Still waiting for a fix
01-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Is the soft launch Ipad only or iPhone too?
01-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodangel View Post
Is the soft launch Ipad only or iPhone too?
Soft Launch is iPad only for sure I already tried and couldn't get it
01-05-2017, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoujin View Post
Thanks for making this clear, Magic 2013: Duel of the Planeswalkers actually had both online and offline functionality without limitations. After Magic 2014, most developers started incorporating the online-only DRM in CCGs. In any case, I was very fortunate to have been able to play the BETA on PC last year; hopefully the game can do well on iOS as well.
Yes. MtG: DotP 2009-2013 was never actually a competitive CCG (even if it did have some of the trappings of one); there was no freeform deck building, no full card collection, and online play was casual by comparison (to today's esport inclinations of Hearthstone and TESL).

As you might recall, when Stainless Steel gradually transitioned to a full CCG (into the expanded but still limited deck building of DotP 2014-2015, into the full Magic Duels client), offline play was first relegated to a few modes without gold gain/progression, and eventually to only practice mode. This happened because there is simply no convenient, secure way to do a full CCG with full offline capabilities without compromising both the competitive aspects, player progression and developer revenue.

Agreed, I hope the iOS release becomes TESL's defining moment! It's the finest evolution of the Hearthstone paradigm to date. TESL brings in enough other influences and innovations of its own to create the killer app of quick and accessible but also quite sophisticated and highly strategic CCGs!

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 01-05-2017 at 04:39 AM.
01-05-2017, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
I must say, Solo Arena - as humdrum as the feature might sound - might be one of the bigger innovations and attractions of TESL.

This is a single player analogy to the draft format Hearthstone popularized as Arena - you draft a small deck through semi-random picks, and then battle opponents until you've lost three matches (or defeated 8 regular opponents and a boss, in the case of TESL's Solo Arena).

What makes the single player arena mode so awesome is that once you establish some basic familiarity with how to draft decks, weight cards, general play strategy and how to exploit the AIs idiosyncracies, you have a never-ending, self-sustaining source of potent progression, without the wonderfully exciting but sometimes intrusive or demanding tension of matching up against real players.

It is also resistant to connection loss and interruptions, since AI matches can be interrupted and resumed freely. As such, it's the ideal companion for those deep desert treks, submarine sojourns, desolate highway high-speed chases, deep orbit debacles and other spotty connection scenarios that would have me ostracized from the TESL community before too long if I insisted on multiplayer.

And the rewards are Duelyst-level lavish - on my current rank (Solo Arena has descending ranks of increasing difficulty, with 8 opponents and one boss per rank), I frequently net one-two card packs (100 gold worth each), 50+ gold and a rare card from one arena run. That's 350+ gold for the cost of a 150 gold ticket. (And since Solo Arena matches also count towards daily quests, you make additional gold from quest rewards as you go.)

As a result, I can always afford a new arena ticket and play the mode continually, no grinding required, and splurge on quite a few packs (in addition to the reward packs from Arena) in between.

In addition to the Pure Fun™ (and boy, it is fun, sometimes more than multiplayer), this might be one of the best and convenient ways I've ever found to acquire the skills, card/gameplay familiarity and the actual cards to attack the ladder, multiplayer arena and casual modes in a CCG. And be competitive enough while at it.

It's wonderfully counterintuitive, a venue for progression, card collection and multiplayer training for players who'd prefer to avoid multiplayer in a PvP game. There in lies the brilliance.
Have to agree Ayjona, arena is electric, I'm having so much fun.
I actually find the bot opponents quite challenging, some going for swarm others using denial tactics, makes for some tasty matchups.
One question, do you know if there will there be anymore story mode expansions (iPad)?
I'm going to look at downloading the PC version, steam I assume, so that I can purchase the starter bundle. Do,you think it's worth it?
Thanks for the in depth posts......