Looking for help with market research

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by samuliofdoom, Feb 3, 2014.

1. samuliofdoom

samuliofdoom Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Designer at Brimstone
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey guys and girls! I'm really quite sorry to barge in like this and start asking for favors in my very first forum post, but I'd truly appreciate any help you guys could give me.

So, the deal is that me and my business partner are in the process of setting up a games start-up and we've been instructed by our local business advisor to gather some data for our application. And to make this possible, we've set up an online survey. What we need now are answers!

So yeah, we'd be super happy if any of you guys could take a few minutes to click on some stuffs on a website! Every single one counts, if we want to get a good sample! Here's the survey:

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=ti38bvjg8oqd8qq238616

Thanks and sorry for the begging! I'll see you soon!

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Filled it out.

On the questions where it asks favourite game type it would be good if platformer is an option.

3. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Not really sure making your own survey will really help there are thousands of surveys just like this online with eg:-

http://infosolutionsgroup.com/2011_PopCap_Mobile_Phone_Games_Presentation.pdf

Your much better pooling or creating a meta data report combing loads of data points.

I don't think your business adviser knows how much this has already been done.

If you really want to know if your game is going to be popular get some concept art done and post in the incoming games section on this site. If you don't get at least 20 post from users in the first day then its not going to be that popular.

Your space RPG game sounds like it will be a huge amount of work. I recommend making a small game (take about a month) and getting it published on the app store to really understand how it works.

Just about every mobile game is a financial failure, if you can not afford to lose all your money then don't even think about it as there is literally a 99.9% chance of it flopping even if its amazing.

On a positive note at least your doing some research into it.

Good luck.

4. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Let me first say that I think it is great that you are trying to do this, and make games.

I took the survey, and I think your last question about your own game is just too vague. The reality of the game industry is that graphics and game mechanic sell games, at least before the game is made. The story and theme of a game are kind of expected extras, that every game in the rpg genre must have. The same people buy both syfy and fantasy rpgs. And there are already so many to choose from. If you focus too much on the story, they you just end up as yet another rpg. To break out of that and get noticed, you have to do something different and make that your focus.
    Take "Path of Exile" for example, I had the pleasure of meeting the team that made this rpg. They wanted to make their RPG different to others by changing the mechanic of their game. Add many layers of complexity to how you can customize your character, and the items they use. And it is this element that has caused their game to stand out, the rest is just expected (good graphics, core story, easy to learn).
    So basically I think you need to express the main things that make your RPG different from other RPGs, before you will get any indication of whether people would be interested in such a game. Plus you have a lot of RPGs being made at the moment, so there is going to be a ton of competition in this bracket. And if you do not have much experience developing games, never start with an RPG.

5. samuliofdoom

samuliofdoom Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Designer at Brimstone
    Helsinki, Finland
    Ah, good catch. Can't really add it anymore, since it would skew the data. Thanks anyway!

Very much agreed. We already have extensive data on our business plan, but she pretty much demanded we do our own. This is for a very specific purpose, though, so it might be that (an application for government grant for a start-up). It is a point of frustration for us in any case.

True. It's not a small game. Thankfully our team is both talented and experienced. We're also releasing in episodes, which will significantly cut down the amount of content needed.

I agree. The whole survey was written in extreme haste and is quite bad. Specially the last questions. Sorry about that.

In any case, I'll be making a new thread for the game once we've taken care of the most pressing matters, such as coming up with a new name/logo (we just sold the license to our previous one). I'll be sure to include concept art and such. Looking forward to continue the discussion with you guys.

Thanks for the survey answers and the comments!