iPhone Infinity Blade: Dungeons [Cancelled]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

If you look up 'soon' in the dictionary its definition is not a finite amount of time. It could mean hours, weeks or even months.

Besides which, they showcased IB1 at iPhone 4 launch yet released it months later, they showed IB2 at the iPhone 4S launch and released it months later. What makes you think tho would be any different?

2. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    It'll probably launch in June during the WWDC.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm curious why the "iPad 3 exclusive?" remains in the thread title, and why there is no upcoming thread in the iPhone section, now that the game has been confirmed for all 4th generation devices and up :)

4. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
  5. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
  6. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    No point in grinding for loot if chars aren't stored server-side.

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    While I don't get your reasoning at all (though if you had cut it down to "no point grinding for loot" I might be inclined to agree ;) ), I think there is a good chance characters WILL be stored server-side. They are in Infinity Blade II, and with a company like Chair, there is little reason to assume they will not implement iCloud in their upcoming games.

8. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    cloud saving just means it syncs between your devices. You can easily hack the save offline, which will then be uploaded to the cloud next time you login. Much different than how char saves are handled in most MMOs.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I am reminded of this DM I played with back in my D&D/GURPS days who would take every character sheet with him at the end of every play session. "We've had problems," is what he would say when asked why we couldn't take our characters with us. It me a little while, but eventually I realized that I was playing with a bunch of cheating jerks.

I do find it particularly sad that the only way you can stop yourself from cheating (which is what save hacking is, after all) is to have a server hold your character for you, as it where.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Not having found Infinity Blade to be much fun at all I had no interest this game... until I just saw that preview video on the front page. Ok, this looks *way* more fun than Infinity Blade. Looks like a Diablo-type game with gesture combat. Now I'm looking forward to this.

11. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, this looks way more to my liking than the previous games. But now that Diablo 3 is out, I'm not sure I'll have time for anything else for the next few years... Lol.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I just saw an interview with Epic folks on GameSpot's "On The Spot" show about Infinity Blade Dungeons. A few statements caught my attention:

*As we already knew this is an Epic game, not a Chair game. But what's new to me at least is that it originally was not an Infinity Blade game. The game came from a desire on the part of Epic to build some inhouse expertise on "mobile" (read iOS) platform, and was developed by a small core of iOS fans within Epic. It was only later that Epic decided that they didn't need two fantasy IPs I their roster and decided to build a tie with IB into the game. In other words, IBD was designed to be first and foremost a cool dungeon crawler; don't expect the gameplay to feel anything like IB.

* They seem to be charting a course between hardcore and casual gameplay, allowing hardcore gamers to micromanage stats, etc, while more casual folk simply allow the game to decide allocations for them. Very smart IMHO.

* Epic confirmed that they are targetting as many iOS devices as possible, so expect the visuals to upgrade/downgrade according to device capacity. They're even talking iPad 1, as well as iPod Touch, iPhone, etc.

* Release date remains "before the end of 2012" so we may have a bit of a wait still. Seems like they're spending a lot of time on polishing user input.

Except the release date, it all seems good to me :).

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No. Cloud saving means the files are stored server-side. What you look for would be permanent server-side storage with no local saves (or possibly with sanity checks upon each sync).

Never did I imagine someone would actually be bothered by other players hacking their own, distinctly separate single player experience :) The idea is as alien to me as someone needing server-side sanitization in order to prevent themselves from ruining their own fun by hacking :D

(If the intent is to prevent leaderboard spoofing, there are other, far less cumbersome methods.)

I'm afraid you will *very* rarely see your wish fulfilled, in any single player game. With the exception of gaming distribution platform server-side solutions like the Steam cloud, carefully guarded server-side save files just to prevent players from hacking their own local play is probably a rarity at best, non-existant at slightly worse ;)

(Even if IB: D turns out to have a competitive multiplayer component, I doubt Epic would implement dedicated server-side storage with no local mirrors of single player character files, considering the mobile nature of iDevices, and all the poor sods who still either lack for uncapped 3G connections, or often find themselves without coverage.)

14. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    The first two infinity blades didn't interest me, probably because I don't normally do RPG... It is RPG right?? ARPG!?!? Anyway something about IBD has caught my attention. Just wish it would come out already... Would have preferred if they didn't tease us So early with it at the iPad 3 event.

15. Aezio26

Aezio26 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Director
    Newark on Trent, England
    Slash and Burn

Please hurry up im in a dire need of a slash :p

16. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Sounds like you need to go to the loo.

17. Aezio26

Aezio26 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Director
    Newark on Trent, England
    I do but I'm holding out till the update, be it on their heads if I pee myself :p

"ahh flushing meadows" ah crap.... Lol"

18. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Can I play this on my iPhone in coop with my wife using iPad?

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Doubt it'll have co-op. Few iOS games do, unfortunately. Try rainbow six for a decent coop game, other than that you have zombie games and a few other casual ones...