News on Blackbox [BETA OPEN]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by warpling, Jan 20, 2016.

1. #1 warpling, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Blackbox
    A collection of refreshingly oppressive and outside-the-box puzzles
    [​IMG]

What if a puzzle game was about more than swiping on glass? What if a game's puzzles used all of the device's sensors, made the OS part of the game, and was chock full of easter eggs?…

Blackbox has grown a lot in the last year and while I'm already working on new puzzles, it's reached a point where I'd like to share it if you think you're up for it…

If you'd like to give the puzzles a try…
    please send me an email at [email protected] or add yourself at www.whatisblackbox.com.

Think outside the box, turn on all of the lights.

Just finished this AppStore Preview Video today! Think it'll do the trick?

If you're interested, I've been posting bits of the development process on Twitter and Facebook!

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Woah, this looks really really interesting. Signed up for beta.

3. Invite sent!

Just sent you a TestFlight invite! :)

4. ddw04

ddw04 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    The description is better than video lol signed up for beta

5. XD You're probably right, hopefully the video will work since it'll be on the AppStore beneath the description.
    Invite sent!

6. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Personally I loved the video, the soundtrack was nice and the visuals were very mysterious.

I haven't received the TestFlight invite yet? I'll PM you my email again just in case something got lost. Really looking forward to trying this out :)

7. Oof! Betas right? Fixed and sent!

8. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    looks interesting.. put this under my radar hehe :D

9. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    #9 TheGreatEscaper, Jan 21, 2016
    OK, now that I've had a chance to play with this:
    One word: genius. Utter utter genius. I didn't even know this much could be done with an iPad. Not to spoil anything, but I am seriously astonished at some of the things this Black Box does.
    Every puzzle put a huuuuuuge smile on my face.
    I don't want to say too much but I can safely saw that this is absolutely awesome. Definitely unforgettable, and it's actually fairly tricky too. Have loved every single puzzle so far.
    To let you know what you're in for, it's like a much harder and more inventive version of Progress.

10. PocApp Studios

PocApp Studios Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    Looks great! But as someone said above, I didn't really understand the gameplay from the trailer tho.

11. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    #11 TheGreatEscaper, Jan 21, 2016
    The gameplay IS the game... think of the game more like a puzzle box. Where you have one goal: open the box. Or in this game, turn on lights. The rest is up to experimentation and the feedback you receive. It sounds frustrating and abstruse here but it's very genius in the way it's done in the game.

Simply put your goal is to turn on square lights, each of which have different conditions to be turned on. There is usually a visual cue in the levels that gives you a hint to how to solve it and will usually provide feedback once you start going down the right avenue. Some levels might not be too difficult to solve, while some may take you weeks...

12. Hej PocApp! Just added some screenshots, hopefully that makes it easier to understand upfront (sometimes I love mystery too much).

13. Fantastic way to put it!!! :D It also makes you part of the game.
    I like to imagine the visual feedback like baby rattles, gradually helping you gain a proprioception of what the device is capable of ^_^