iPhone Legend of Grimrock (Dungeon Master-inspired)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Jensen, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Agreed. I've been following the game since I saw the original post on toucharcade. I too paid for the pre-order based on the gameplay video and can't wait for the release (next week). I will certainly order the iOS version if and when released.

I wish there were more "current" first-person dungeon crawlers out there for the PC and especially for my iPad.

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Yes!

Yes!

Yes!

And yes!

I don't think I've ever preordered anything else before, but I too preordered the PC version and look forward to the iOS. I think one needs to have played the original Dungeon Master at the time of its release, to understand what this game means decades later to those of us that have. That is, naturally, assuming it lives up to its promise.

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Maybe we need a special forum just for games that might or might not be released on iPad.

Oh wait, this is it!

4. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    three cheers for this one :D

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Not quite - go check out Undercroft (free) - this will be more like that with MUCH more polished visuals and realtime gameplay...

6. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Just played for two hours and it is as awesome as expected, even if I can only cast one spell yet and dont have any great weapons.

Level design is pure Dungeon Master, so until now totally obvious.

Running at 2560x1440 on 27" everything maxed out and that is very nice. Would like to play on iPad too, but for now this is great. Stopped carrying torches, as it totally destroys the lighting, which is super atmospheric.

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    I no longer have a PC since it refused to POST last November '11. I now have a MacBook Pro alongside my iPad2, so am now fully on-board with the Jobsian cult.

I think it's a bit silly to say that we ought to support the developer by buying a title on multiple platforms. Developers will develop where the $ is i.e. show me the money! Whilst developing as a labour of love is all well and good, ROI (return on investment) is the real yardstick, if you have bills to pay.

If the developers feel that iOS (or at least, iPad - not sure about the game specs, to judge whether it could be playable on an iPhone) provides a suitable ROI, then they will develop for iOS.

So add my vote to keep this thread open, if it helps to galvanize hype to support development on iOS.

8. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    How quickly we forget that any mac these days can easily run XP/Win7 via Bootcamp. Also Parallels 7 / win7 also runs it perfectly. Mac's today are PC's as well.

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Sure, but you have to spring for the copy of Windows. Also, Boot Camp never seems to trigger the fan on a Mac properly, and so Macs run pretttty HOT when booted into Windows through Boot Camp.

Parallels? Well that's another whole ball of "yeesh".

10. CrunchyGamer

CrunchyGamer Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    This game is amazing in PC, if they port it well into iPad I´ll buy it for iOS too!! is that good!
    Reminds me of the old Stone Keep, the BEST of this genre by far.
    A little drawback: I expected some voices in this game to make it even more immersive, but that is not really a flaw, only a sign of a very "indie" studio :)

11. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Voices are one of those things that need to be done right, or you just shouldn't do them at all. Even the big studios do them wrong more often than not. This game is almost certainly better off without them.

12. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    No more news on released date?

13. TheShoresOfHell

TheShoresOfHell Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Come on, finish the iPad version of this wonderful game, I´ll buy it right away!
    A suggestion... I´d like to have some more interaction with other characters in a future game, more like Stonekeep like others said (1995 DOS game xD); but anyway, this is a wonderful game nevertheless, much recomendable.

14. Zuzax

Zuzax Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    I'm not so sure I'd like it for iPad after playing it a couple of times on the PC.

Despite it being the classic 90-degree layout and movement game, it's very much a twitchy button masher with lots of side strafing for combat, movement, and especially navigating the timed pit puzzles (getting the sword of Nex for example).

I would not want to attempt the end boss fight without a real keyboard and mouse. All the WASD and side strafing needed doesn't seem like it would transfer to the iPad very gracefully.

15. john.burn

john.burn New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #155 john.burn, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
    Actually I'm playing this on my mac mini in osx... Using a wine wrapper and it plays perfectly!

http://portingteam.com/files/file/7283-legend-of-grimrock/

Regards,
    John

16. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    #156 LazyGamer, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    They quite recently said it is coming to iPad without giving a specific time frame for that. And obviously it sold pretty well on PC.

17. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    #157 LazyGamer, Jul 20, 2012
    Latest from the developers:

'iOS is still in the plans (and indeed we had an early prototype running on iPad). We just don't have enough time to work on it right now.'

So that prototype probably is the old version and development of the 'real' iPad version probably won't start before the editor is released (and maybe Mac Version)...does not sound like we will see this anytime soon.

On the plus side, iPad 4 will probably be out and run that beast at full retina glory.

18. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Another game where they show awesome graphics etc, hyping things up for "3" years, and it will never be released..

19. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #159 cplr, Jul 20, 2012
    the world does not pander to you.

anyone want to play a fun game? find a thread where someone is complaining about some game not coming out on their approved release schedule, look at their previous posts and you'll notice a pattern. some people just love to complain, huh?

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    still waiting (I am aware some similar projects are in works too for iPad).

If I cannot wait, I may wish to invest into the OSX version for now (like FTL)