Hiragana Pixel Party

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Springloaded, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Springloaded

Springloaded Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    Hey guys, so I have been working on my first game for iOS, I set out to make something that was a first and foremost game, but I thought it would be fun to make it teach you something along the way. so it's part memory game, part rhythm action game and part Japanese language app..

If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them! ALthough I have left it a little late to make too many changes for the first release, I am thinking there will be a content patch further down the road.

I also have a blog charting my experiences as a full time indie developer over at wordpress for anyone who is interested:
    http://springloadedgames.wordpress.com/

2. thedollarhunter

thedollarhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    London
    This idea looks fun. I have made several attempts at learning japanese from books and CDs but to no avail!

Great to see another brave soul leaving the corp life to go it alone! But seriously leaving Lucasarts?

I would love to try the app - maybe put a beta out via Test Flight (its a great little tool).

Good luck!
    MJ

3. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    Thanks, I have looked into test flight, but haven't yet taken the plunge...it looks like yet another thing to learn and deal with! but it does seem to be an amazing tool. I will have another look and see if I can muster up the courage!

indeed, life away from Lucasarts has been is a whole lot more stressful! I don't know how long I'll be able to keep going at this, but I have a million ideas bursting out of my head that I am super excited to make, so it's now or never really!

4. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

It certainly looks very original and I'm really liking the idea. As someone who is still currently learning Japanese, I'd be very interested in trying this out.

5. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    Cool, and thanks! I can set you up with a code when it gets approved by apple (I think I will probably submit today), and would appreciate any feedback that you might have that could go towards updates.

The whole test flight thing has made me wish I got on here sooner! well I will be putting my next game out for people top poke at for sure! and that should be in a week or two as it's already well underway.

6. Yazukiwolf

Yazukiwolf New Member

May 1, 2012
    Japanese Language School

Where can I play it?
    I checked the app store, but didn`t see it.
    I work at a Japanese Language School in Tokyo and I want to review it to put on our school`s facebook page.

this is the school if your interested
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waseda-Edu-Language-School/241945179216264

Also, are you planning on making a version for kanji?

7. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    Sadly you can't get it yet! its still not quite done...but hopefully very soon! I will send you a PM with a code when it's available :)

I have been thinking of making a version for Japan, where it teaches kids (and maybe older kids!?) the English alphabet...with a couple of sets for different pronunciations, so Apple, Beetle, Cord etc. and Ache, (beetle again as there is no other pronunciation), Census. Then maybe sounds like TH, PH, Tion, etc ...I don't know too much about teaching language though...but yeah I will see how this does first before launching into "Roman Alphabet Pixel Party!?" as there might be some fixes along the way. Although I am guessing you teach Japanese to non Japanese rather than English to Japanese?

8. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    Oh and Kanji is one of the ideas for the update, I have a really exciting idea for making it really good fun. Whether or not I can spend all that time on it to do such a big update depends on how well it does after launch. But I am really hopefull as I'd love to make it as exhaustive as possible.

9. kostazs

kostazs New Member

May 1, 2012
    This is just awesome ! cant wait to try it out)))
    also good idea about kanji. :)

10. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Very intrigued with this app. It looks fun, and like something I could definitely use. :)

11. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    Great to hear such enthusiasm for something as niche as this :)

12. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    OK, so I have set up a testflight account, it was actually pretty straight forward...So if anyone wants to jump in for an ultra short beta test (like 48 hours or so) then that would be epic.
    A question to experienced test flight users...as a Testflight user do you get to spend pretend money on microtransactions? (the game is free, with a couple of transactions for getting all the characters). Or shall I make a build of the game with everything unlocked?

if you PM me your email address I can add you to our test team! which means you'll probably get the opportunity to play the other games I make in the future...

13. MrWangk

MrWangk New Member

May 1, 2012
    I am a student studying Japanese in school and I am incredibly keen for this game. Plus the cool pixel graphics I am definitely picking this up. Might even show my teachers and see what they think. :)

14. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    I wrote it so I could have a lazier way of learning the syllabaries, I am finding it a lot more compelling than just reading a book, so I hope it works for you too...and yeas, please show it around to other students! that would be great!!!

15. MrWangk

MrWangk New Member

May 1, 2012
    Most definitely, I am sure they will be much more interested in this than a textbook. Plus my teacher loves "iThings"

16. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Do you need Japanese language knowledge to use this app?

Cause like....you know how you say a Japanese word in English, like "neko funjata" for example...then this app teaches you have to write neko funjata in hiragana? But what about people who don't have knowledge of Japanese words in english.. I'm a little confused. I learnt a little Japanese in primary school I'd love to learn further but my japanese vocubulary is very limited.. Wouod is app benefit me in anyway? Or would I have to learn the basics speaking Japanese in English kinda thing (wow that's hard to explain..hope I made some sort of sense)

Like.. If I tried to translate the word cat into hiragana..it wouodnt make sense to japanese people because neko is cat.. Agh I hope I'm making sense. Because now I'm getting confused aout what I'm even asking. I'll shut up now.

17. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    Hi Tannorexic,

I think I follow you! The app doesnt teach you words (well not yet anyway).

The aim is to teach you to be able to quickly read Japanese characters of either Hiragana or Katakana. As you probably know, the sound of each letter in Japanese is not affected by the sound of the letters around it, so with the app, if you see the word Neko (ねこ) you should be able to read it quickly, and pronounce it correctly. However, you would have to figure out for yourself what that word means! (as I say - for now at least!)
    The game teaches you Katakana in the same way, so if you saw ネコ (neko in Katakana) you would be able to read that too. At the end of the game the last 12 levels are all about inverting the language, so the game will show you Hiragana, and you will need to tap the Katakana.
    The game will not teach you the Kanji for Neko, there is so much Kanji that most Japanese people don't claim to know it all. I think the format for this game would get quite old if learning Kanji, I think there are way more interesting ways to teach it...maybe one day I will get the chance to explore that, but who knows.
    Thanks for your post, sorry I took so long to reply!

18. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

That would be great, thanks! and sorry about the late reply... been busy with things and completely forgot to check back :eek:

19. Springloaded

Apr 30, 2012
    Game developer
    Singapore
    this game is now available on the app store...thanks for all the interest up to this point!