Magellan Synth $14.99 -> $6.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by primozz, Apr 12, 2013.

1. primozz

primozz Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Ohio
  2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
  3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'll be picking this up later...will leave impressions. It's considered one of the "essential synths", like Cassini, Sunrizer, etc.

4. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    IMO it's one of my favorites, one of those i use the most, because of the compatibility, flexibility, stability.. I use it in a lot of songs, still now, since the beginning. I like the ability to use two synth at the same time, and presets are good.

And it use less CPU than korg apps, i think. Easy to use with audiobus.

5. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Just bought it. Holy hell, a lot has been added since the last time I checked this out. This is one POWERFUL synth/post processor. Lemme say, you get a LOT for 7 bucks... Probably at least 500 bucks worth of physical hardware.

6. TheCurrentGamer

TheCurrentGamer Well-Known Member

#6 TheCurrentGamer, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    I have the iPhone version and I LOVE that you can use the effects with any other app through Audiobus. I'm curious if the iPad version has any extras or if it is just iPad comparable and nothing else.

Aha, so it looks like the iPad version has 2 full analog synths to talking 6 ocilators instead of one and three. Bought!!!

7. primozz

Feb 25, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks for the update Greyskull!

I'll have to pull the trigger on this one as well.

How do you think this compares to Addictive? The only synth I have currently is the Korg iMS-20 so I'm looking to grab a few more ...

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's one hell of a synth, and another case where if you have the iPhone and iPad versions, you can run them both at the same time in Audiobus!

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Primozz, to be honest, I've been so busy I haven't booted Addictive up yet...Add in the promo codes I've been getting (Vio, Nanostudio), updates which suddenly allow me to use previously iphone only apps on my ipad (Guitarism for example), and all the audiobus updates...I need to figure how I'm going to link Polysix/IMini/iMs-20/Molten/Thumbjam/Vio/Figure/Magellan/Nano/Dm-1/Rhythm Studio/GrainScience/SpaceSampler/Overdub....:catches breath:..

Um, I'll get back to you on that. Oh, there's a dedicated ios music forum now, ios Music Community set up by @iClifDotMe (twitter). I'll be splitting my time between this site and that one.

10. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I've had this since release and while it hasn't been updated a great deal that I've noticed it is definitely worth the full asking price.

12. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    This is actually the most flexible; dare I say professional "feeling" synth I've tried on ios. It's definitely worth the 7 bucks, especially since you can use it to effect other synths through Audiobus. Most synths that use Audiobus can only be used as the input in Audiobus...at least that's my experience. If you want to compare the price to gameplay length of a game...well, you could sink hundreds of hours into this.

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Another thing...someone mentioned that this has dual synths, while the iphone app has 1, and you can use the phone version together with the ipad version.

I'm pretty sure that if you have 2 ipads available, you can run 2 copies of the ipad version simultaneously, in effect splitting those 2 synths between 2 devices.

14. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #14 chris1a, Apr 12, 2013
    The iPad version has been updated 3 times since release less then a year ago. The latest update brought SPAWN (the best generate-a-new-preset I've tried), Audiobus, 6 band EQ, Compressor, changeable effect chain and much more. I'd say that's a lot of update goodies. :)

Btw, Sunsine audio have three presets packs with 64 presets in each one for sale. I think you can download demo packs with 10 presets in each for free. But with SPAWN in the latest (ipad) version it's really easy to make good sounding presets.

Edit: Btw there's a lot of free presets for various iOS synths at Sunsine audio. They got complete Nlog bank for free, besides all the demo presets..

15. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #15 Greyskull, Apr 12, 2013
    Thanks Chrisa; I've been to Sunsine before but keep forgetting to download.

One caveat: Magellan is FILLED with knobs ;).

EDIT: just wanted to provide the correct name of the new site (I'm not advertising, there's nothing in it for me), iosmusic.org. Also wanted to day that it's hard for me to believe that instruments like Magellan exist for such a low price. Though you still see people complain at places like Appzapp ;)

16. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    You're right, I went back over the update history and it has been quite extensive as far as extras go. Gives me a few things to try that I hadn't noticed.

17. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Primozz, Addictive is pretty good, but I greatly prefer Magellan. It is my 2nd most used synth app after Alchemy Mobile Pro. It is fun to create sounds and I like their interface. The two synths feature is really nice. And now you can use it as effects in Audiobus. Initially I wasn't actually all that excited about it. It had an 80's digital synth sound I wasn't looking for. But now I have grown to really enjoy the sounds and the depth of features.

18. primozz

Feb 25, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks SSquared.

The little I've gotten to play with Magellan, I've been really impressed. The Spawn feature has been a huge timesink ...

Great deal for $7, IMO.

19. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Here I am on Toucharcade with my itunes account drained. Thanks Magellan, thanks Korg, thanks Moog...did they have to all have sales at the same time? ;)

20. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    on sale again