Reviewing your own iPhone app

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mal, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Mal

Mal Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Hands up if you initially review ( and give 5 stars ) to your own iPhone app? :p

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    To do that you would have to buy the app. And 30% of your app price would go to Apple. Which means you would lose 30% of your app's price. Unless your app is free. If you really want to do it, you could, but you would lose some money.

3. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

You could always launch at 99c, rate your app and then put the price up ;)

Doing PR (sending releases and codes out for review) takes time and costs money. Paying money to Apple is just the same really - it's the cost of a little PR.

4. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    It is free with a promo code.

5. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Hmm...Never thought of that...

6. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Haha - come on guys, after all the time and money you invest into making an app, its price is a drop in the bucket. If a developer balks at paying full price for their own app, how do you expect customers to do it?

And developers better be buying their own apps, if only to test that everything is working properly in the public version.

7. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

I must be weird, I find it completely unethical to review my own apps and so haven't and will not do so.

8. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Do you find it unethical to convince family, friends, coworkers to leave reviews?

9. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

If they wish to leave an honest review that is up to them. If you have to convince them, then possibly yes as they will then potentially not give an accurate review but will just be doing something for you.

10. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Not sure why people care so much about anonymous reviews.. in the case of Fatty! the developer gave out 100 promo codes here so it has 41 5 stars but it also has 44 1 stars. Which are the honest reviews? Think the reviews say more more about the marketing of an app than the quality.

11. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Just downloaded the lite version of Fatty! and it would seem like a love it or hate it app. However, I stated honest review in regards to convincing people to leave a review. There is a difference. If people who obtain promo codes don't leave an honest review, or people who buy an app don't leave one either that is down to them. If you convince friends/family to leave you a review then the chances are they will leave you a good one as they wouldn't want to leave you a bad review.

Do the reviews say anything about app quality? You may very well be right in that it could be more about marketing, it doesn't change my stance that it isn't right to review your own app.

12. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    I am also on daveak side.

I feel its not right to review my own game, because of course ill be quite biased as I am the maker of the game and surely I have to think it must be the best thing out there.

As to ask friends and or family members, it depends if they can really give an honnest review. But the best of course is to get them from people that have no relationship with you and that give their honnest opinion about why the like it or hate it. Then you can use this feedback to further update your game and or use this feedback for future project.

But Nattylux did raise an interesting point about buying your own app (you dont to review it), as to make sure the process of the AppStore to a device works. I read in a nother forums that a guy got some complaint from consumer due to the way he has setup his game on iTunes Connect that made some people not able to install it or buy it (forgot which problem he had).

Fred

13. smallstepforman

Jan 22, 2009
    Melbourne
    I've seen series of games from certain developers which have the exact same reviewers for all their games, naturally, all reviews are 5 stars each. With 50 iTunes store accounts and 50 promotional codes, it's not impossible, just unethical. I've also seen reviews from competitors which slam competing products while promoting theirs. Also unethical.

Short of identifying the guilty parties and visiting their homes with a baseball bat, I dont see any solution to this social problem.

14. somedude445

somedude445 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    the rating often becomes misleading because of all the "crashed, will not give more than 1 star until this is fixed" reviews that people put on there when they forget to reboot their ipod and the game crashes on them.

15. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Do you actually have to pay to get your game's promo codes? Oh and is the number of promo codes you can get per game limited?

16. iPhone Gamr

iPhone Gamr Member

Apr 18, 2009
    You get 50 promo codes per version. So if you rev a version to 1.01 and 1.02 you would have 150 codes by then.

17. Mal

Mal Member

Jun 26, 2009
    > You get 50 promo codes per version. So if you rev a version to 1.01 and 1.02 you would have 150 codes by then.

So the 50 codes for 1.0 carry over to 1.1 etc? That's cool, I thought they might have had cancelled the previous codes, and restarted with only 50 again.

Mal

18. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Would be better if they did cancel them all IMO, seen an app which has just been released suddenly has 143 reviews, which seems highly unlikely to just happen, especially as it isn't really a big main stream game.

19. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    If I have 50 codes for 1.0 and then I make 2.0, I still have 50 codes. The codes do NOT rollover to the next version.

20. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

ah good, not generated any since releasing any updates, comments above gave the impression this wasn't the case.