Constantly submitting the same game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

I have noticed a developer constantly resubmitting the same game ( almost daily). Sure he changes the colours and the name but that is it. Is this legit? Is this mentioned in our vendors agreement?

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's the same game? What is it called? I don't see any reason not to mention it. If you go to his apps page are there dozens of these?

3. Syndicated Puzzles

Today he hit the entertainment section. Look at new releases.
    And the dice section .
    and and .......

any app with an a in front

Yes more than dozens....

4. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I've seen a lot of similar tactics - like releasing the same puzzle game over and over with a different photo, or MMO apps that just give you a different number of "points". There's also a certain developer that submits the same apps as new apps for every new version/update and just includes the new version number in the app name (and I use the word "update" loosely). :rolleyes:

Unfortunately Apple lets people get away with this crap so I'll call it "legit" for now, but I'll also call it douchey.

5. kiancheong

kiancheong Well-Known Member

woah.. he's got 25 pages of crapp! that's 300 apps!!!

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I'm pretty sure that's not allowed, an app was rejected somewhere for submitting 2 apps with different background color, all other functionality was the same.

This is replacing all the art though, so it's probably allowed.

7. potan

potan Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
  8. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Another one contributing to turn the appstore into Crapstore ...

Jeez, some people just don't care about the consequences of their actions.

9. wahseh

wahseh Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Theres this guy with a ton of Chain Reaction-eque games on the app store too.

Hes got 8 pages of the same game concept with different graphics. Though all the graphics are overhauled, is it even allowed?!

10. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    stupid review process?

why not collate a list of complains; write a report to apple for them to consider. we have a number of similar games on iphone (game and watch) but they were designed that way; each has its own unique spin on the concept.. but it surely isn't just replacement of graphics.

while it may look the same; maybe apple can force them to consolidate all the applications/games into a single binary for distribution instead? we did this with gw series - it ends up cheaper for the end user to get the games.

11. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

What a brilliant idea!
    Look out for Feumbers, Fümbers, Fumberhs, and lots of other cool apps coming to the App Store soon! :cool:

12. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I sorted that guy's apps by Most Popular and his best app has 0 ratings...he must be making close to nothing, which makes sense.

Anyone that feels quantity will help, you're wrong.

13. Syndicated Puzzles

#13 Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
    Bravetarget,

He must be making money at this otherwise he wouldn't be submitting the same games daily (3 per day) You have to remember he is constantly keeping himself visible by submitting the same games over and over. For example, he had top spots locked up in the entertainment section all Sunday and until the new apps are added today. He is selling and profitable. I am sure of it.

His apps always appear in bunches and sometimes knock half the page of newly released apps off the front page of a category in one swoop. That hurts a honest developer trying to get some well deserved exposure.

14. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Yup. App Store marketing 101: People buy what's in their face.

15. YmirMobile

YmirMobile Active Member

Wow this is completely crazy, amazing that this goes through....

16. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
  17. Maybe he took some time off over Christmas and that's why we saw some improvement in app approval times. I'm not really even joking.

Sad that a few jerkwad developers can bung up the system for everyone with shovelware.

18. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Yeah I understand that, which is why he puts "a" in front of all his titles.

What is 1 or 2 sales per app compared to a single game with quality that has potential to rise the charts? It's a lot more of a passive investment at that point. The way hes going at it right now is he has to continually submit apps to make a few bucks. Horrible, just horrible.

He can either keep putting hours into filling out app submission forms every day, that MAYBE pick up a few sales then disappear into oblivion, or make one that consistently sells. one app to rule them all.

19. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

No wonder the AppStore has over 120,000 apps to date. :)

20. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    This is done by those only looking to make money, and do not care about some ethics.

Since apple allows it, so i guess it is "legit".

Heck, maybe one day I'll also do this. You can beat em, join them LOL!!!