How to promote iphone app - my lessons learned

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by iOSimage, Nov 18, 2012.

1. iOSimage

iOSimage New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I've developed two apps in the past and last week I just launched the latest one called "Math Trick" and here is the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/math...575739761?mt=8

In the past, when I launched "iMathGenius", in the first couple of days, the download was decent, but over the time, it dropped dramatically. When it reached a level that was almost no activity, I set it to free for two weeks, the download was huge during the two weeks. But the price you paid here was that later when any new upgrades for iMathGenius, it was always free for all of free downloads. Therefore, be careful for setting your app free.

Nowadays, I tried to send my app to various app review sites. No one seems to be willing to review your app for free, even though their website says so. Most likely, they will just say due to overwhelming requests, it will take a long time for them to review your app for free. It is just another polite way to say that they will not review your app.

I did pay to a reputable website to do an ad campaign and the result was not that great, at least not to my expectation. Friends of mine explained to me that no one is interested in math in this country. Who wants to do more mental exercise. I was just not convinced. That's why I wrote this Math Trick to teach anyone who wants to improve his/her math skill. My kids love them and their math skill are top of their class.:)

2. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Here is another lesson for you - know your audience. This site is not your audience. Mommy bloggers, maybe, but not a fairly hardcore iPhone game forum.

3. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Game Dev @ Fun Mob Games
    Australia
    This is the Public Game Developers Forum. I think this is the perfect audience for this thread. If you're talking about placing ads on this site, then maybe you're right, however I'm sure there's alot of "mommy and daddy" customers who use TA.

@ iOSimage sounds like you could do a bit more research and marketing for your game. Have you tried social media marketing via facebook? or Twitter? It's free and great way to spread word.

Have you attempted to contact any educational institutions for promotion via discounts or free copies? Or how about reaching out to the aged care institutes to see if they are interested in it for their patient/residents. Using technology to keep people mentally active is becoming more common. My point being, you need to explore every avenue for a possible customer base.

Do you have a trailer of your game to send to various sites and blogs? In order to get people talking/review about your game, you must give them a reason. A good trailer is an effective way to convey your message.

Your friends saying that "no one is interested in Maths in this country", Is a ridiculous blanket statement and means you haven't researched or marketed to your target audience.

Like AndySmash said, All your promotion and marketing efforts need to be very targeted to your audience. Just sending emails out to app review sites and putting ads on "popular" websites means nothing if you are sending them to people who don't care about educational maths games. Targeting your Niche Market is key.

Good Luck :)

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #4 Vovin, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

Lol, you're wrong. Here are dozens and dozens of mums and dads (as JasonS stated). We had quite some threads with educational (gaming) apps in the past.
    Who told you to speak for us all? ;)

5. pat3ck

pat3ck Active Member

It's a polite way of saying no, however, popular app review sites really receive numerous requests and it is our job to make an awesome pitch that would stand out.

6. ebonywatriama

ebonywatriama New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    I find it interesting to you are reaching out old aged homes, actually you need more revenue to have good results. you are doing well with going to social media it will give you the right reviews of you app.

7. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Thanks for sharing!

This is particularly helpful for me, so thanks for sharing! :)

Cheers,