iOS - Is it allowed?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nicolasgb, Feb 17, 2012.

1. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    Hello everyone,
    Do you know if the following things are allowed in an iOS app?

- Displaying in-game a section of a gamecenter leaderboard including only the player's friends and himself
    - Unlocking content in exchange for subscribing to a mailing list
    - Unlocking content in exchange for inviting friends to play the game

Anything else to know in particular ?

Thanks!
    Nicolas

2. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    The first one definitely is allowed, because Jetpack Joyride does it. Not sure about the other two though.

3. nicolasgb

Feb 4, 2012
    Paris, France
    Thanks! Had forgotten about this feature in JJ, answers my question pretty nicely.

Any idea on the rest? I'd love to incentivize our players ... :D

4. steyrboy

steyrboy Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Senior Technical Artist
    Coral Springs, FL
    I know games like Tiny Tower have some kind of connection to a server through their engine. This gives them the ability to push ads to your device without having to update. I assume you could do the same. Just have the app check the server with their user credentials and if it returns "true" (for mailing lists or whatever) then just unlock the content that already exists in the app.

The only way I might see a problem with this is if you have the same content tied in with in-app purchases. Not sure how those two would tango.

5. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    The second two are grey areas and it depends on your specific implementation as to wether it's allowed or not... Apple states that you cannot use external mechanisms other than iTunes to unlock game content.

What you can do (Temple Run for example does, and I also do) is give the player some coins or other form of in game currency for performing one of those two actions. Thus the content in game is still unlocked locally and the user can also earn currency or buy it from IAP's.

Hope that helps...

6. nicolasgb

Feb 4, 2012
    Paris, France

Thanks Luke, that helps a lot. I downloaded Superflick and subscribed to the ML :)
    You implemented it the way steyrboy described it, with an email confirmation and a server check until the player gets credited. Did you do it because it was mandatory, or just to avoid cheating?

7. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Both really :) Adding someone to the mailing list requires that they confirm, and it does cut down cheaters a bit too! Though they can always opt out later.