Really ticked off with an invisible bug eating my insides.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, May 19, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

My star game Str8ts has a bug. Four developers later the bug still haunts the app. I am so sick and tired of this bug that I need to fumigate it out of my life.
    Really need someone to figure out what is causing the game to exit and go back to the page with all the app icons. When a player gets kicked out of one of the four levels the other 3 levels are still at their disposal. This bug happens to less than 5 % of customers and has been really hard to re-create.

We just released the perfect patch 1.8 and I am getting a few reports of the same incident,

Who is really good at spotting a bug and fixing such an issue? Str8ts is going to be featured in a lot of additional major newspapers and I really need the app to work perfectly.

Who is the best? Please identify yourselves.

2. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i could be the basic culprits:

- memory overrun/underrun
    - word/dword alignment issues

classic issues like this are definitely pointer and memory related. for buffer overrun/underrun there are tools you can use, memwatch is one, you do not need it in your final version - but helps with development and word/dword alignment is common for reading unaligned values that ARM simply cannot handle :)

unfortunately; these bugs typically require some time to find.. a good code review will do it, depends on the quality of the code as well. do you have some funky pointer code in there somewhere? :)

contact me via PM - i've been writing C code for well over 15 years now, i've seen it all *g*

3. Syndicated Puzzles

Aaron will send you a PM shortly. Thanks!

4. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    do you have zombies enabled in XCode?

Helped me a lot to find crashes.

5. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    Have you downloaded the Crash Reports from iTunes Connect? Our dev team seem to find those helpful in pinpointing some issues.

6. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    these are only valuable if you keep your build meta data/files for each version - if you clean your project, you may not be able to define the exact symbol data but definitely these could help in the investigation.

7. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Regardless of this they show call stack information (at least for my builds) which can often give you a decent shot at ascertaining whats happening and why ..

8. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

That's correct - these actually helped me diagnose some nasty & sporadic bug happening on some particular device and OS...

9. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    I concur that Crash Logs are pretty helpful even if you don't have the matching symbol set.

Any other common things done that seem to induce the crash? I'm curious ... and pretty good at bug squishing...

10. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    #10 mobile1up, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
    i looked at it; found a common set of conditions when it crashes in the logs; pin-pointed it down to a single function which calls the routine that throws an exception. seems to be a range error which should be pretty simple to fix. issue is; its a complicated piece of code - would need to spend more time on it to figure out what the original developer was trying to do :)

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Is this the crash with Jack that you have to reinstall to clear out?

I'm pretty sure I still have an install that does that, and would be happy to provide logs if that would help.

I'm too bad at debugging, but I've never worked with any iDevice development, so I doubt I'd be much help there.

Not as big of a deal, but I think the app still ignores your set volume level (or at least it does on my iPod Touch...)

12. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    #12 mobile1up, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
    bug found. there will be a fix coming soon! :)

BTW - i guess some self-promotion here, 20+ years programming experience really helps. i tracked down and fixed this bug (even found a reproducible case) in less than two hours - we do offer consultancy services for writing things "correctly" the first time around :) *hint hint*. also helps if we have time ;)

13. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    Sweet! Not even my code, but nice job :D! If I was wearing a hat, which I'm not ... I'd take it off!

14. Syndicated Puzzles

Thanks mobile1wayup,

Huge thanks from me personally. This bug has been eating at my insides for some time now. Listening to the mumble jumble as a non programmer was making me sick. Aaron I am really relieved to not have to apologize to customers that have Str8ts crash on them anymore. Now I can move on to bigger things and Andrew and myself will definitely use your services.

Jeff

15. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    just a warning that it may not be the end of all the bugs - only squishing one here. but definitely this was a show stopper, i can understand the frustration from your users!