game saves?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Feb 6, 2010.

1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Can someone explain how game saves work? How come some apps the save seems to be tied to the app (ie: I delete app off my iphone, the save is gone), but some are retained even from deletion? I understand the one's tied to some online network like plusplus, but I don't get the others. I used to understand this stuff when I was into the JB scene, but after going 'legit' for almost a year, my memory is a little fuzzy =)

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Well, if you jailbreak, you can access the app's files and mess around with some of the files in apps. Some of which are save files. You can transfer them from one device to another, like I did with Beneath a Steel Sky, or edit it to unlock stuff or progress yourself further in the game than you really are, like I did with TouchGrind and Battle Blasters (I didn't feel like playing on a difficulty I couldn't beat to get the last 2 characters... yes, I cheated). I'm going to look around to see what other games can be edited, but not many.

In fact, this method can be used to create mods. For example, Eliminate can be played in 3rd person by editing the configuration file inside the app, which can't be accessed by the options menu. Another one would be with mods in Puzzle Quest. I downloaded some custom classes from a website, and since it's a direct port of the PC version, the Documents folder inside the app was the same as it is on the PC. Therefore, the mods folder was still there, so I just dropped the classes in and everything worked fine. It can even be used to port in your character from the PC version.

I'm sure you can even trade savegames with someone using this method. There should be a thread for that...

3. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I made a thread like a year ago saying that Apple really needs to do something about the save game situation if they want their devices to really compete in the handheld market.

In fact, that's about the only thing I really want from Apple in future updates. To fit GTA on my Touch, I had to delete Beneath a Steel Sky (saved game), Sim City (my poor city!), Zenonia (oh well, I can always start up a new game), and so on.

It's an issue I think for people like me with the 8GB (Actually, the 7GB) devices, and I hope it gets addressed in some way. It's not like it's technically not possible, it's just Apple being crabby (Crab Apple?) about their software, and what people can do with it.

4. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Yeah, I only have an 8GB.

5. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i was surprised when the new 8g gen 3 ipods are only gen 2s unless you get 32gig or higher. what bs is that. glad i am holding off till gen 4.. hope it has a cam if not.. no big deal.. still will get a gen 4.

chris.