Which version of the Quest and expansions to get?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by acidshaman, Feb 27, 2010.

1. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Does the Quest Gold include all expansions, i.e. Hero of Lukomorye III and Mithril Horde??

Right now I have just the original Quest, and now seems like the perfect time to get all of the other expacs; but im not sure which to purchase

2. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    It has all but the two you mentioned.

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Get all of them. They are all worth getting.

4. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #4 spacecowgoesmoo, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    List of Expansions:

1 - Original Game
    2 - Islands of Ice & Fire
    3 - Hero of Lukomorye I
    4 - Hero of Lukomorye II
    5 - Enemy of the Mithril Horde
    6 - Hero of Lukomorye III

The Quest = Original game
    The Quest Gold = Original game, Islands of Ice & Fire, HoL I, HoL II

So you need to get The Quest Gold, Mithril Horde, and HoL III to have everything.

5. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    ok thanks... im seeing that the xpacs are standalone games, but I guess playing them through with 1 character first sounds better??

I also remember that the only guy I could get to kill people and not die was a Dual wield Life-leeching Undead.

Any tips if I want to play a mage / warrior? i found i ran out of mana/hp too fast.

6. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Lots of potions.

7. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #7 spacecowgoesmoo, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    I'm on HoL III with my original character ATM who is a dual wielding thief build. Basically, in order to survive the expansion packs you have to learn how to take advantage of the combat system by enchanting high capacity equips. I'm not sure if this is the optimal way to do it, but here's what I did:

Original game - Enchant 100% magic resist to deal with Shamans and Bosses
    Ice & Fire - Enchant everything with +10 AC's. Almost immune to physical damage for the next 2 expansions :)
    HoL I - Enchant Poison, Disease, and Paralyse Resist to 100%, more AC+10's
    HoL II - Didn't enchant anything
    Mithril - Didn't enchant anything
    HoL III - There's a major increase in difficulty in the game here. Changed all +10 AC equips to +50 Dual Wield's and +50 Light Armor's because my base equip stats are strong enough now to benefit more from skill increases than basic AC increases. Probably could have done this earlier too. Damage increased from 700 - 1200 to 4000 - 6500 and AC incresed from 600 to 2000 :D

BTW, NPC's can only enchant up to 750 because of the game engine's limitations. To enchant stuff yourself at ~3000, create an armor set with lots of Environmental Magic and Fortify Magic, and drink a potion of Normal, Strong, Ultimate, and Homemade Fortify Magic. Now cast Enchant :)

8. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    My suggestion is that you get the base game The Quest

and then the expansions that you can enable in The Quest

so you can develop your character and carry your save file forward.

We (Zarista) with Redshift are working on many more expansions that you should be able to continue on with your save file from the base game.

Of all the possible combinations from reports I've gotten, the most favored is a female Rasvim. Don't ask me why. I don't know. : )

The Quest Gold only has the base game and a few expansions and I understand you can't use your save file from that to go on in the other expansions.

I hope this helps somehow. : )

We have a walkaround for the enchant spell now but using it cautiously so you don't blow up. : ) Theoretically you could meet an npc who could enchant your stuff to googols of enchantment. : )

9. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Expansions can be imported into The Quest Gold as well:

10. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #10 Catacomber, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Yes, but can you TRANSFER your save file from one to the other? That's the important question. I would love it if you could but my understanding is you can't.

Please tell me I'm wrong as I'd love to have as many people playing our expansions as can but I was advised it's not possible to transfer your save.

So if you bought the Quest Gold and then wanted to transfer your save file to the Quest full blown Quest, you can't.

This is important because the Quest Gold does not contain HOLIII or IV or V or VI.

And so you will need the Quest base game to play those according to my understanding.

But----you cannot transfer your Quest Gold save file to the Quest from my understanding.

Please tell me I'm wrong. : )

11. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Elendil's answer--which is positive: : )

Well, of course you can use the save file, if you have enabled all the expansions in The Quest which are in the Gold. There is then no difference between The Quest and Gold, apart from the main menu background graphics. :)

But you can't transfer the save files from one game to the other from withing the games, of course. You have to jailbreak, which is messy and might even cause problems with the game . . . . .

[Jailbreaking is not recommended.] : )

12. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    You can enable Mithril Horde and HOLIII in The Quest Gold and play through from the very beginning.

13. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    You can either buy The Quest and all the expansions or The Quest Gold, Mithril Horde and HOLIII.

In either case you'll have the full experience and you can start a character and play through from the very beginning up to the end of the latest expansion (HOLIII).

You can then enable any new expansions which will come out in both of the games and continue with your existing character.

There is no difference between The Quest and the Gold, apart from the graphics background in the main menu, and the fact that the first three expansions are already enabled in the Gold.

14. globalist

globalist Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Is it even possible to complete the vanilla Quest without getting bored/frustrated out of your mind? :p

15. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Yes, but it depends entirely on your personal taste in games. -_-

16. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    It also depends on if you want a messy little guy that looks like a meatball in your backpack and who keeps insulting you and singing. : ) Some people would rather eat him. : )