iPhone Fates Forever MOBA - Unveiling first playable hero!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jasoncitron, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    Hey Everyone,
    Jason here from Hammer & Chisel. For the last year we have been working on a MOBA reinterpreted exclusively for tablets called Fates Forever.

We're not quite ready to launch yet but today I am excited to begin unveiling some content for everyone. To kick things off, here is a gameplay overview of our first playable contestant: Renwil, The Gluttonous Warthog. Checkout the video below to learn more about how he'll play!

If you happen to live in Europe, we are running a Public Alpha in a few countries. So check your local app store and see if you can join in!

Also if you missed it, here is a link to the trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Qscs6ezrEE

2. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Looks pretty decent so far, though I'm not sure how appealing it is to start with a giant pig lol. And why alpha only in Europe? Sigh.

Also curious what the selling points are of this game over, say, Heroes of Order and Chaos?

3. Fox_Niemand

Fox_Niemand Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Game Designer
    Vancouver, BC
    Looks great, excited to see it!
    Like not seeing a typical fantasy hero - giant pigs are rather unusual :)

4. bitsoda

bitsoda New Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Tip of the hat.

I can't wait for this game to come out. Ignore the naysayers that tell you there's no room for another MOBA on iOS -- there most certainly is. Heroes of Order & Chaos feels like a complete LoL clone that was coerced onto a tablet. There's also that stupid goblin and his daily reward slot machine, ugh, seriously? I feel like the game dev community can do better than making games that insult a user's intelligence and time. Thank you and everyone else at Hammer & Chisel for having the stones to take a stab at making a quality tablet game.

5. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Have you actually played this game already? How exactly do you know it's a "quality tablet game" when all they've shown is a short trailer and a character profile video that is pretty much identical to the way LoL does theirs? As far as I can tell, it's also an LoL clone that's being put on a tablet. Frankly I don't know if a touch/tablet interface is suitable for a MOBA, but hopefully these guys will be the ones to prove it is.

Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for this game too, but it just seems a bit premature to be jumping on the fanboy wagon...

6. Rafy211

Rafy211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Unicorn Land
    This game is pretty good, I should know, I've played it. I mean, the game is just starting let it have time to grow.

7. Rubyjourney

Rubyjourney Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    #7 Rubyjourney, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Hopefully this public alpha spreads to a few more countries heh.

Edit: I cheated and made an account in the mystery country:p

8. jasoncitron

Jun 18, 2009
    San Francisco
    lol... I agree. We're not attempting to make gimmicks. Me and my teammates are gamers and really just want to bring a fantastic game that we can play for hours with our friends to tablets.

Well, a few things:
    1) Since FF is tablet only, we are able to make some really fun controls. All of the skillshots are gesture based (drawing, flicking, aiming, etc.). And the basic movement & picking controls are simple but intuitive for a tablet... they don't involve buttons.
    2) We are attempting to build the game with some soul. By that I mean we pay very close attention to the craftsmanship of the whole game experience. Everything from the integrated character designs to the impact sound effects. We have tried very hard to make a cohesive, immersive world you can get lost in while you play.
    3) FF is not "money grabbing." It is free to play, but done respectfully. Most importantly we have two design tenants in this area. Pay for Options, not for Power. And The Game Never Makes You Stop Playing. So you can play forever, for free. Our business model is very similar to LoL with weekly hero rotations.
    4) We really care about fostering a great community. I spend a significant amount of my day hanging out with players from FF on our forums and making sure that their voice is heard inside the walls of our development studio. We have a blast making the game, but ultimately its for all of you... :)

Nice work! I hope you've been having fun!

9. jasoncitron

Jun 18, 2009
    San Francisco
    Unveiling the SECOND playable character!

Oh and here's a fun treat... the second playable Contestant in Fates Forever! Dim's first skill is a really fun gesture. Watch the video to check him out. Tell us what you think!

10. MadWraith

MadWraith Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Language Student
    #10 MadWraith, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    looks great ! congratz jason and the team :)
    looking forward to it ...

11. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Looks good wow

12. Colgul

Colgul Active Member

May 15, 2013
    Would be great to see some more hero profile vids

13. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #13 nodoctors, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    I am so glad I stumbled upon this. I've been playing League since beta, and that game has severely homogenized itself over the years with generic humanoids aside from a standout hero that comes out every once in a great while by a certain designer(T). This game out the gate has warthog and solar mole champ previews. Now we're talking my language. Doesn't hurt that the game looks tight and phenomenal in motion. Now get some super grotesque flesh disasters like Urgot or Pudge in there, and we'll really see some money flying out of my wallet. :]

Any thoughts on an iPhone compatible version?

14. Alda Games

Alda Games Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Well, I´we played (and still playing) some games and must admit that it is fun. My first and last active MOBA gaming was in WarCraft 3 mode so it was little bit hard to adapt myself to "tap" from "click". Well, actually it didn´t take so much time.

What is harder to deal with is some missclicks (or rather "misstaps"). I use iPad Mini Retina and still somehow sometimes miss even ultimate. But well, that´s my poor skill probably :D

Martin from: