Krashlander [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JeffWeber, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Very nice looking game! This will be an instabuy! (along with quite a few others, whenever they come out) I cannot wait!

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Interesting. Does this have some sort of basic skiing level or endless mode without the Angry Birds nonsense? Jumps, flips, landings; this is the sort of stuff that looks like it would be the most fun here to me.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    No, but despite it being the selling point of the game (defeating the evil robots), The "Angry Birds nonsense" is actually a very minor part of the game. Reaching the robots in itself is much, much harder than you'd think. Both the trailer, as well as TangentsLP's video make the game look easier than it is.

I don't know whether or not procedural terrain generation could work in a game like this, but then again I should shut up and let Jeff answer. :p

4. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Looks decent for sure but, i don't know, it seems like it could get dull quite quickly. Perhaps if there were multiple routes to the robots with different hazards or something?
    I'm not sure this would hold my attention like Angry Birds for example because with that there is always so many different ways or getting to the pigs.

5. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ski Stunt Simulator had one of the greatest control schemes of all time. I am excited.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #26 metalcasket, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Like I said above, I've had the pleasure of playing the initial release version (1.0) of Krashlander for a few days now, and what started off as "what did I get myself into?" is now "wow...this is surreal".

Let's make this clear. Krashlander isn't exactly a 'pick up 'n' play' game. There's definitely a learning curve to the controls (best referred to by Jeff himself as one that require "learning a new motor skill"). It's not an easy game, but don't let that turn you off...it's one that's worth sticking with. Before you know it, you'll be smirking each and every time you nail that one segment that's been driving you nuts all day. I haven't played Ski Stunt Simulator, so this is the first time I've come across a control scheme such as this (while simple on the outside, incredibly deep) and as far as iOS is concerned, I could probably say this is a completely new experience.

Despite what's been said in this thread, as well as the impressions given off by the trailer, there's nothing really 'Angry Birds-ish' about Krashlander. You don't set up an angle, throw Krashlander (yes, that's his name) and hope for the best. You've got to meticulously control this fellow, contorting his body each and every second of the way until he hits his target(s) and as far as the physics are concerned, everything just feels right...whether it's the weight of Krashlander himself, the impact while hitting the evil robots or just flying across the land with your face planted in the snow. Heck, stretching your body while in the middle of a jump causes you to go slower, while curling into a ball does the opposite. There's a certain degree of realism to the game and there are so many little secrets and tricks to Krashlander. Practice definitely makes perfect (something I've yet to achieve even though I've 3-starred 14 out of the 20 levels).

The first thing the graphics reminded me of were the crisp retina graphics in the iOS version of 'The Lords of Midnight' and the entire game really does feel like it originally belonged on a C64 or ZX Spectrum. Do not in any way take that as a bad thing. It's a good thing. It's got an "old soul" thing to it...a simple game, with a simple menu, barren of any IAPs that just has the ability to suck you in. Also, as already mentioned, probably one of the strongest highlights of the game: the sound design. The only thing you're treated to in-game (other than the deathly grunts of Krashlander and the evil robots) is the sound of the wind. m i srs bro? Yes. It's eerily reminiscent of the final moments before Solipskier falls to his doom. Love it. Grab your headphones for this one.

20 levels (with another 20 planned...but it looks like Jeff has something up his sleeve based on the posts in this thread), fantastic control scheme, Universal, iPhone & iPad retina graphics, full game (no IAPs), $0.99. No brainer. I've used this term very rarely: Instant classic, as far as I'm concerned.

NB: I wasn't asked nor paid to write this up. I think everyone on TouchArcade who knows me knows that when I like something, I have absolutely no problem telling people I do. I had the chance to check this out quite a while before it became available for purchase anywhere and hence why my impressions are in detail.

7. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    iStunt 2 + a little bit of Angry Birds?
    INSTABUY!!

Cant wait to play it.
    Does it support the iPhone 5 screen?

8. JeffWeber

JeffWeber Well-Known Member

@metalcasket very nice review. People "getting" the controls is one of my biggest worries with this game. It's really nice to see you did get them and enjoyed the game. Thanks for taking the time to write up the nice review. Very much appreciated.

Side note: There will be much more than just 20 new levels coming. :) New levels, new robots, bonus levels (with different objectives)... Like I said in the main post for this thread, I have a google doc full of ideas for Krashlander.

-Jeff

9. JeffWeber

Agreed! I played Ski Stunt Simulator quite a few years ago and fell in love with the control mechanic. I've been building games that use that mechanic ever since. (Hence Krashlander) Might say I'm a little obsessed with the Ski Stunt control system. :)

10. JeffWeber

Currently all the levels involve skiing to reach the robots and crashing into them. I do have some plans for bonus levels that will be more "pure" skiing. Not going to give away details yet but I think it'll be a lot of fun.

Doing endless levels like Tiny Wings might be tough to do without changing the control scheme. If I went for something like that it'd probably need to be a separate game.

You are right, the skiing really is the fun part of this game. The robots are just a great way to end the levels. :)

11. JeffWeber

I've got a lot of plans for levels, including multiple routes. Last thing I want is for the game to get dull. I think I can keep it interesting... at least for a while. :)

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Don't mention it. :) It was my pleasure. Honestly, people need to play until Green World - Level 2 to understand just how great the controls are. That little tutorial (no spoilers...it's awesome), as simple it was, had my jaw drop.

And of course, I can't wait to see what's next for Krashlander. Then again, I have to remind myself that the game isn't even out yet. :p

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
  14. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    This looks soooo good. I really hope you get the attention this deserves. Can't wait for this

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cool, definitely plan to give this a shot then. Particularly with no IAP involved.

16. JeffWeber

For those curious about the actual gameplay for Krashlander, checkout the main post in this thread. I updated it with a new gameplay vid.

Let me know what you think.

17. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Ski Safari + Angry Birds + Fancy Pants