iPhone Ticket to Ride - (by the devs of 'Small World for iPad')

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 17, 2011.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Indeed, its awesome!!

2. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Love this game, but I don't like that it requires you to pay $4-$5 for expansion packs, if you wanted a complete game with all map pack, it will cost about $21! Some people could argue that these expansion pack are publish as different games when they are board games, but this is not justifiable, it just different maps with adjustments. It is similar to Monopoly or Risk where there are different versions, with core gameplay mechanics intact.

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #323 Appletini, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    The United States map included in the original Ticket to Ride is a complete game on its own, exactly as it is in the physical version. The other maps aren't "expansions" (with the exception of the $1 USA 1910 pack), they're standalone boardgames bundled into a single app for convenient purchase and play. That's why you have to pay extra.

It is absolutely justifiable for a couple of reasons, not least of which is that these are different products, and you're not entitled to them all just because you bought one. Days of Wonder could have released all of the maps as separate standalone apps, but that would be clunky and user-unfriendly, so they chose the more elegant option.

Ticket to Ride prices, comparing the digital and physical versions in NZ dollars:

The original Ticket to Ride (United States): $9.99 app, $86 physical
    USA 1910: $1.29 app, $32 physical
    Europe: $6.49 app, $86 physical
    Switzerland: $5.29 app, $49 physical
    Asia: $5.29 app, $49 physical

Total: $28.35 app, $302 physical

The entire digital collection on iOS already costs less than a tenth of the physical one, so why on Earth do you believe you're entitled to all of that for free, and that the developers shouldn't be compensated for the time and effort it took to put those together (art, music, AI, cross-platform play, ongoing technical support, etc.) or be allowed to make any actual money off their product? That's just greed on your part.

Unfortunately for you (but fortunately for the rest of us), Days of Wonder have firmly established that they are not about to devalue their own product and deliberately start losing income just because a handful of unreasonable iOS gamers like to demand more stuff for less money. :p

No, it's not very much like that, but you'll find that the various themed versions of Monopoly and Risk are also sold separately.

4. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    #324 biokid, Aug 10, 2013
    I hope you buy all IOS games at full price then and don't take any promo codes at all.

Another point is that Day of Wonders have put their game on sale various times and even make Ticket to Ride on Iphone free for once, so they actually devalue their product (but you could argue they didn't and so on to promote sales). Well, you act like everyone are on your side big man, but lots people have differing opinion and you need to accept it. If it so fortunate for you go and buy the expansion pack to support them and post a screenshot here lol.

Not everyone is have high income/ maybe big spender? like you and yes I love to support the dev, but they need to maintain consistency in price and keep to their words: " not devaluing" their games or else people just going to wait for sales. I am willingly to pay full premium price for it and I am just raising an issue here, don't be a close-minded person and thinking that when people raise this kind of issue, they are greedy and unreasonable.

Yes, and I know that Monopoly/ Risk/ Ticket to Ride sell different themes of boardgame separately, but look at Monopoly Spongebob/ Original/ Christmas doesn't differ much and I do own all three of them. Ticket to Ride actually differ more than that, but still maintain core mechanics with different maps which required different strategy.

Oh! Why people wanted satisfy themselves by wanting to win an argument and stop using :p! I bet you don't do that to someone in a daily situation. Good luck.

5. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    TtR Pocket is considered by DoW to be the gateway version of this gateway game, and basically is a promotional tool, lacking most of the polish, content and options of the preferred superior iPad and Steam versions. In over two years, the iPad version has only briefly dropped in price twice, once in celebration and once to promote the game, and the IAP maps have never been reduced. This is leaps and bounds away from what you're asking for.

Stop stomping your feet; if you can't have a discussion like an adult, don't post. Right now it sounds an awful lot like you're having trouble accepting another person's point of view, so maybe you need to take your own advice.

No iOS game requires a "high income" to begin with, but that said, not having enough money to buy something is entirely your problem to deal with. The fact that you can't afford a luxury item is in no way a legitimate argument for having a developer/manufacturer give that luxury item to you for free. That is pure greed on your part, I'm afraid, and is a particularly simplistic mindset that indicates you haven't considered this issue any further than your own desires.

You are being both greedy and unreasonable, though, and clearly haven't thought your request through at all. All you've done in this thread is say the developers should be giving you their work for free, and you haven't justified this in any way other than to make the fatuous intimation that if somebody can't afford something, they are then somehow entitled to have that thing without paying for it.

Again, you wouldn't demand to be given copies all of the individual physical Ticket to Ride boardgames just because you bought the original TtR USA, so why are you demanding this of the digital version? How would giving away all of the TtR maps for free benefit DoW more than charging for them? If you can't provide reasonable and realistic answers to these questions, then you have no leg to stand on here.

To be clear, I'm not really interested in your personal attacks or other nonsense: if you insist on continuing this, just answer those two questions.

6. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    #326 biokid, Aug 10, 2013
    For the firs point, now you claim that pocket version is a promotional tool and you haven't stated before. I accept that, but Ipad version have gone on sale as well, so obviously they devalue their product. I am talking about their product as a whole not just the IAP.

Secondly, I accept your opinion, but you still don't accept mind, that is your problem entirely. I am not claiming that IOS gamer have high income either, but the way you talk implicate that (no offense). BTW I can afford luxury item and I bought it. I don't want it for free, but I am just try to raise a point about why extra maps cost $5 since it relies on same core gameplay mechanics. I am not greedy at all and I don't want it for free, I am just trying to question the dev pricing of the IAP.

You are misunderstood and think that I wanted the item for free, that is not my goal. I am not interested in your personal attack/ nonsense claim either by saying that my motive is greed and I wanted the game for free and you try to limit the discussion to your questions which I do not agree. I actually purchase all IAP and the game at full price, so your point is not valid and don't ask for it to be free. I am asking the dev to justify the price point of adding a new map (I know it is different game, but core gameplay and AI is the same just a different board and strategy) and charging $5 for it. The hard copy of the game required material to make it, while digital copy can be distributed easily (like EBOOK), but I don't want them to be free, just a lower justifiable price: $2-3. I trying to offer them a solution to boost their sale, since some people will get scare off by $5 price point. And stop :p to people it is rude, just pointing it out (I know other people in the forums do it as well, but you won't do that talking to someone face-to-face in real life.

7. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    A game very briefly going on sale only twice in over two years in order to promote it isn't at all the same as it being "devalued", so you need to stop using the word in that context because it doesn't apply.

Not at all. You suggested that not all iOS gamers had a high income, and I agree with that, but my point is that this is wholly irrelevant. The level of an individual's personal disposable income is not a solid basis for the claim that DoW should fundamentally change the pricing scheme for the TtR maps, especially when they're so cheap to begin with.

It is clear that English isn't your first language, and I can't fault you for that, but please don't just go guessing at what arguments I'm making if you don't actually understand them, because it unnecessarily complicates matters.

By definition the "different board and strategy" means that the AI isn't the same: in addition to the common AI characters, each map also has a special AI character coded to take specific advantage of the map and its features. Programming competent AIs for digital boardgames isn't free or easy.

Sorry, you still haven't given any evidence that the current prices are actually "unjustifiable", let alone that they should be lowered to the prices you want. You need to do that before you can start telling the developer how you think they should "fix" the issue.

The prices of the maps already are justified simply by virtue of being the figure the developer has chosen. However, as I've shown you, DoW have reduced the price of their adapted maps, e.g. TtR Europe: NZ$6.49 digital, NZ$86 physical, which is a reduction of $79.51 from the original price of the game.

As shown, the digital versions of the maps have already been severely reduced in price; you have yet to make a compelling argument as to why they should be reduced even further.

8. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Yeah fair enough. You convinced me. Sorry for the typo regarding IOS gamer's income (just typing a bit too fast without checking). English is my first language btw.

9. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    No problem. ^_^

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This whole exchange can be taken as the First Railroad War between Ankh-Morpok and Wop Wops. Now if only Slitherine or Hunted Cow (HexWar) would make it into an iPad boardgame...

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA

I hear what you're saying. As a whole the pay mechanics for the App Store is a little wacky. It would be nice to be able to buy the complete edition for a reduce price like $10 dollars. However this is a great game and the add-on boards are not required to get full enjoyment of your purchase. The only add on pack I purchased was the .99 USA 1910 pack which I think was well worth it. I've gotten countless hours of enjoyment for less than 10 dollars. Compare that the price of a movie ticket or Starbucks coffee.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I have no problem paying what they are asking as I paid much more for my physical copies. My issue is this version appears to lack asynchronous play like the pocket editions have and I don't want to have to sit there and play a full game in one sitting. :(

13. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Ditto!

14. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #334 klink, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    The iPad version is really fast pace. I would say most online games last only 10 to 25 minutes. I personally wouldn't use asynchronous play with this game.

15. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mm-hmm, asynchronous play was deliberately left out because of all the turns that would have been nothing but card drawing; DoW felt the game suited real-time play better and weren't keen on the perception of their game being one where nobody actually does anything for an entire week because everybody is only drawing cards once every 24 hours. In addition, according to DoW's management TtR Pocket's asynchronous mode has been relatively unused, so they feel vindicated in that regard.

The upcoming free update for DoW's Small World does include asynchronous multiplayer however, for those who have been hoping for that. TtR might possibly be revised after, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that count.

16. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    If anyone is interested I would like to meet up online to play a few games of Ticket to Ride and Small World once the new update is released. Just send me a PM with your gamecenter name or I can send you mine.

17. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    It's unused on Pocket because it doesn't integrate with the iPad version. Had they created a Universal game with async from the beginning, it would be up there with Carc and Ascension. You can't expect a fractured experience to yield numbers anywhere near that of a seamless one.

18. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    I gather that DOW never discusses what expansions are in the works, but it has been a year since they added any. I would like to see all of them as i enjoy this game so much, but after so long it seems like no more will come. Here is hoping i am just being pessimistic.

19. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I've starting playing this game again. It's one of the most addictive iPad games in existence! If you haven't played it yet do yourself a big favor and pick it up. You wouldn't regret it.

I hope Days of Wonder cast a little sunshine on it and provides some new updates. ;)

20. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Definitely one of my favorites.

More maps! More maps!