Will we see better gaming graphics in 2010?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by linuslim, Jan 9, 2010.

1. linuslim

linuslim Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    i am wondering if we can see more solid gaming experience for some titles this year.

last year we had some good games that showcase what iphone gaming can do. however the graphics in the 3d still lacks a bit behind psp and other console even when iphone proves to have better graphics hardware.

also on the other hand, games that are ported from console seems lacking in the graphics in the iphone. why is that so? done on purpose by developer or the limitation of iphone? i like to know more insights on this.

2. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Of course the iPhone will have better graphics next year.

3. linuslim

Oct 12, 2009
    that is for us to find out. so far no interesting game titles worth looking out for yet

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom

Uh it's this year! Lol

well the unreal engine might become available and that has demonstrated good graphic capabilities. So yes, hopefully.

5. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    The standard of iPhone gaming is sure to increase over time. Look at the earliest games for consoles such as the PS1 etc. They had bad graphics but still cost as much as a game would now. Over time, graphics improve, with normally no increase in price, so by 2020 we will probably have better graphics than PSP's today and the price for these games will still be around the same (hopefully).

iPhone gaming graphics might not significantly improve this year, but there will be a steady rise which will offer better graphics over-all in the long run.

Mad

6. linuslim

Oct 12, 2009
    quite agree with you. but as iphone improve, others will also improve in graphics too. i never hope iphone graphics better than other platform but at least when games ported over to iphone should retain the same graphics quality.

take Assassins Creed 2 for example. the graphics quality is so much difference.

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Brothers in Arms 2, Mirror's Edge, FIFA/Madden/NFL/NBA 2011, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Legion of Amon, GT Racing: Motor Academy, Car Jack Streets 2, Rolando 3, SSX, Riddim Ribbon and Zenonia 2: Lost Memories.

There aren't any titles worth looking out for 2010? :rolleyes:

8. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    Silent hunter 5!!

9. linuslim

Oct 12, 2009
    i think is for PC not iphone

10. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    The main issue I see for this system is the need to support legacy devices(early iPhone/Pod). It will come, but will take time. Ravensword really showed how a good open world 3D environment could work.

11. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    yes its for pc,and also will be a iphone version in march-april.

12. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    When big name developers start porting the PSP version instead of the DS version for the iPhone, we'll finally see some better-looking games.

However, that means bye-bye to anything below 3GS.

13. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #13 tblrsa, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    Why are you so fancy for latest gfx anyway? A good game doesn´t need high end graphics.

I doubt we´ll see many better looking games this year, most users still have an old device which possibly wouldn´t be able to play those graphic blenders.

14. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    Of course 2010 will be better. New devs, new technology, new year.

15. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #15 tblrsa, Jan 9, 2010
    Yes, new technology, but devs won´t release their games to serve a minority of users which happen to have obtained the latest iDevice. Most users don´t even have the 3GS yet. You´ll probably see a few games adressing the new device, but that´s about it.

I personally am interested in the enhanced CPU Power of the new devices, which should give the emulation of old systems a heavy boost. (NES, SNES, Gameboy etc.). Heck, even an Amiga Emulator might be possible.

16. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    im really happy with the quality of graphics iv seen so far.. especially from indie developers.. its one thing to code, and another to be a artist too. iv been learning to use photoshop for the last year and i can say you have too pratice a lot ( even more than iv had to with my guitar, go figure.. safe to say an artist i am not. lol) good thing for the stick figures..coders who are hopeless at drawing anything more can create a fun game :)

i do see the point of having the same quality of graphics that the port came from.

chris.

"waiting for gorilla bob in 2010. laughs."

17. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    I take it that you expected the console version of the game to be ported directly to the iPhone. First of all, the amount of space needed to do that would be huge - probably 10 GBs, at least. Second of all, the hardware in the iPhone - or any portable device, for that matter - doesn't have the ability to maintain a "console-quality" experience for an extended period of time. In fact, I'm surprised that the device has the kind of graphics capabilities it does right now - it has surpassed the DS in many categories of picture quality and hardware, while maintaining an easy-to-handle size for a phone.

The iPhone version of Assassin's Creed II was ported from the DS version of the game, and sold for half the price. I don't see how we can ask for much else.

18. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #18 tblrsa, Jan 9, 2010
    You know, maybe the lack of big companies on the App Store is a good thing after all. Right now the App Store seems to be the perfect plattform for small Indie Developers, and i would like it to stay that way. There are a lot of iDevice developers who have been in big companies developing well known games. Those guys are now able to do their very own thing on the iPhone as an Indie Developer, which is great.

This is one part which makes the iDevice interesting from a viewers perspective. Just by lurking on TA you get to know a lot of interesting people.

19. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    It's also what's given us 1000 variations of iFart.

20. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

The next Zen Bound takes full advantage of 3GS hardware. Surface detail, illumination, shadows and camera effects are much improved from the current game with the implementation of a separate OpenGL ES 2.0 render pipeline for the new devices.

It's still some months away from completion, but once it's out, it should be a nice showcase for the graphics capabilities of the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3G.