Universal Fractal Combat X (by Oyatsukai Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TheCrib, Jan 9, 2013.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    We need to make 2 games game of the week this was one of them that's for sure plus I get to play the first one as well

2. TheCrib

TheCrib Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    Sigh sob.. here comes the rant..

Two weeks have past and not a shadow of a piece of news about FCX has appeared on the front page of TA.. and now the rankings are really starting to drop.

All major mobile gaming sites almost completely ignored the game (except from The App Shack, thanks to syntheticvoid 8)

This is a major smack on our face that pretty much tells us that self-publishing has become a joke.

It's ridiculous to see TA's front page covered with news about Temple Run 2, or even updates of old games.. while a new game like FCX is flat out ignored.

Apple doesn't help either. For example in the Italian App Store there is a Flight Games section. Anything goes in there, it includes even Angry Birds and Tiny Wings, Zombie Gunship and even Top Gun which on that store has (I kid you not) a 1/2 star rating !
    .. but god forbid they'd ever include FC or FCX.. those are not a decent flying games.. no.

I guess we've been naive.. hoping that making a good game would be enough.
    It worked with our first title (Final Freeway), but it's going backwards now: the more effort you put into a title, the less it's cared about.

This isn't good for us, but also isn't good for the market.
    People are bombarded with always the same freaking games. Or occasionally by some funky pixel art games.. but if you try to make a game that looks good, then you better have the right connections, or your game is as good as nothing.

Anyway, we're pushing forward with the 1.1. Although much of my time is currently wasted begging left and right to get the game noticed in any way.
    The publishers out there must be ecstatic: another defeated developer that thought he could get away without paying his duty to get into the world of games that are worth squat for the press.

Our fault for being naive.. but man, what a disappointment..

Maybe tomorrow FCX will finally be noticed, who knows.. but at this point I wouldn't count on it.

End of rant.. really sorry about it.. but I had to vent it somewhere (^^;)

3. Not f.cking cool guys. I'm a big fan of your work and its a shame to see it pan out this way. There are more sites than TA out there. All I can say is keep fighting to push the title hard.

4. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    We're not giving up.. but most sites out there either tell us straight or make us understand that we have to pay up to be considered.

I understand that there's a market in reviewing apps.. but we truly can't afford to pay all of those reviews and ads spaces.

It's a shame, because I think that some sites could make an effort and review games like FCX for its own merits.

Thanks for the support.. hopefully the situation will improve :)

5. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    My sympathies on this. As I said before, I bought a credit pack even though I completed the game and got and upgraded the best plane before purchasing the credits. Its that good that I wanted to support you guys! This game is worlds better than that top gun travesty!

6. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanksss !!!

We'll see what happens.. what a life.. ! (^^;)

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I've had FCX downloaded since it came out, because I saw this thread in the forums. It's currently on one of about 5 full pages of new games that have come out in the past few weeks that I'm desperately trying to find time to check out.

I can't tell you how much reading your rants here and in the front page comments has soured me to even checking it out now. It puts us in a tough spot because even if I like FCX and want to write something about it, it makes it look like any developer can just whine enough until they get coverage. I really don't want to send that message.

I probably would have finally gotten around to it and some other games by the end of this week or over the weekend. Now I don't know what to do. I work 16+ hour days trying to keep my head afloat to all that happens on the App Store. It's an overwhelming place and TA is only 3 people.

It just really turns me off hearing so much resentment from a developer like this. We've reviewed and covered both Final Freeway games and the first Fractal Combat. Most developers would kill to have even one of their games covered let alone 3, and believe me if there were more hours in the day I would cover even more games. But reading comments like this just saps any motivation I have whatsoever to keep on going :(

8. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Well what matters is the fans opinions anyway so I say if you liked the first one you must get the second one. Graphics are great controls are spot on and its not a game to be missed

9. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    First of all, thanks for replying, I really appreciate that.

I'm sorry for the rant. I can only imagine how it is to run a site like TA.. it's easy to say "talk about my game", but it's clearly easier said than done.

I realize that I sound like an unappreciative douche, and it's lame to blame others for one's own failures. At the same time I'm in a corner, because TA is the only big App Store games site that has a credible following. So, no TA, no joy.

Form my point of view it's really depressing to release a game, which (I dare to think) is above average (at least in terms of effort), and see it ignored by the press, and by reflection by Apple.

I understand that ranting like this isn't winning me any points. In fact I think that at this point putting FCX on the front page would seem forced, and it would set a bad precedent.
    I wrote the rant when I pretty much gave up on seeing the game covered. So, for what it's worth, I'm cool and I agree with that.

It's for the best anyway. It's not wise to continue to release games and hope and pray that TA will cover it and do it in a timely fashion.
    It's reckless to rely on something like that.. plus, it would be too easy, and one should never count on things to take the easy course.

But, if I can give one suggestion, it would really help if you guys could reply to emails in any way, even with a macro that says "we're on it" or "forget it".
    That could go a long way in simplifying a developer's life. Maybe it's not doable, but it was worth suggesting it.

TA is still the best service out there not just for the users, but for the developers as well. These forums alone are invaluable.
    TA was probably key in getting FF noticed when it first came out, and my gratitude for that isn't going away.

If I sound like an ass, it's because it sucks to live in hope.
    The question in my mind every day is: can I pay the rent this month? Should I keep going or should I quit and get myself a real job?
    I'm 40 and I'm broke. Do I want to become rich? Sure! But most of all, I like the idea to reach potentially millions of people with games that I make (cheesy but true 8P).. and I really don't want go back with the tail between my legs to work for some big boring game company and be just another skilled engineer that writes code that, quite frankly, doesn't make any real difference.
    I hate the idea for myself, but I also hate to disappoint those that have covered my back during this adventure and that sometimes look up to me (rough deal ! 8P)

Anyhow, thanks for the great site. I just hope that you guys will get some real competition, if anything, so that frustrated developers like me can go rant somewhere else from time to time.

Best things !

10. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    #70 TheCrib, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks !

It's not a game that everyone will like, but I think that it can entertain quite a few people out there, if they get to know it ;)

As far as I'm concerned, I'm just happy to read comment like yours, even if it's crtique :D

11. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Hi, any update on the update for this game? Hope the devs haven't given up on this game.:)

12. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    Not given up ! :)
    Although it's being ignored by practically all of the press, except for The App Shack and the Italian press (because I'm Italian.. what a coincidence ! 8P)

- So far, we got in some additional paint choices for the planes (it's always a plus).
    - Next we're moving to add some sort of upgrades boost, to further maximize the power of each plane.
    - Then we're adding new missions. Some worlds but with some variations..

The development is going slowly, because these days we have other, less fun, things to do, but we'll pick up the pace again.

Also, a little notice, we're switching to $0.99 starting from this weekend (either Saturday or Sunday).
    No plan yet on bringing it back to "free", so, the best time to download it is now ;)

13. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the upgraded planes and new misisons. Keep up the great work!

14. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks ! d(-o^)

15. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    A little update... the paint jobs that will be available in the 1.1 :)

[​IMG]

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow, those look GREAT!!! =oD

Can't wait for the update.

17. Kick ass seabass! Looking hawt. Love your work Dave!

18. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks guys ! \(^o^)

19. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    The big update is out.
    Doubled th enumber of missions, added skins, performance boost, improved speed controllers, etc.

Check it out 8)

[​IMG]

https://itunes.apple.com/app/fractal-combat-x-fcx/id578085611?mt=8

..and we're working on a new update that will support iOS 7 game controllers, although we don't yet have the hardware to test on (!)

20. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    WOW... Just trying this for the first time. Really fun. Best VR I've tried yet.