Born in the Wrong Decade? What Was Your Era & Why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Lost_Deputy, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I could've totally negated my gym membership and still been in the mix with the opposite sex if I was born in a different era. Previous decades (not counting the last two) relied on a sense of style and gift of gab to get you through. Plus you always wore a hat. Not a try hard edgy gangsta hat. A gentemans hat. Something that would protect you from the sun and aditionally aiding you in your duel in the afternoon glare.

So what what would've been your era of choice to be kicking it in and why?

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    The 1980's, the actual era I grew up in. Why? Because I don't think any decade before before or since has been so easily defined by it's style and pop culture, and especially because it was the decade where technology really started to hit it's stride. Oh, and hawaiian shirts. Always got a kick out of hawaiian shirts.

3. I like now cause you can carry portable devices with you like ipads and iphones. That way, I am never bored. Heard the 60s or 70s were good for sex and promiscuity, but I got no idea cause I wasn't around then. 80s had some great original music. 90s, start of people using internet. And of course now, sexy hdmi cables.

Attached Files:

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Music really kicked off in the 70s, so I'd like to have been in my teens around that time. Bands were getting really creative after The Beatles and new genres were popping up everywhere. Live gigs and album releases were an exciting thing back then, whereas now it just pops up on iTunes and you're kinda like "Oh, another one. Nice".

That said, I love today's technology and there are still plenty of bands bringing back that 70s style, so it's not as though I've got nothing to listen to. If I went back now taking nothing with me I'd miss my iPad and MP3s.

5. I love my ipad. Does everything I want. Love this decade cause of it. Before it was just tv with computers, but it wasn't portable, now it is.

6. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i tell you what, i'm quite happy with the decade i was born in. If i could change my year of birth, it would probably be to the latest year possible. I'm happy living in the era of globalization and i can't wait to see what the future has in store for us.

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    In my lifetime I saw the rise and fall of this little guy right here:

[​IMG]

I generally think that it's amiss to criticise aspects of one's life one has no control of, so I don't really feel like I'd be better off anywhere (or anytime) else. Hakuna Matata, I guess? :)

8. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    #8 bramblett05, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
    Remember when a iPod came with a disc for itunes?

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Not really, to be honest. My first Apple thing was an old 2GB iPod nano first generation, which I loved to bits:

[​IMG]

At the time, I found it hard to fill up the space with decent music...

Remember the iPod Photo? I still remember the day they came out like it was yesterday, hehe.

10. You guys are old foogies!

Hakuna mata, what a wonderful phrase!

You're still young! ;)

11. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    The stone age.

A man could have any women and as many he wanted, plus the women could not say no.
    Hunting animals would be cool too, but that comes in second place, behind sex.

[​IMG]
    Mmmmmm.... Blargh nmjhideonfonefof disokdpwkfpwfblargh disnfinekjdowkdpwkdwkflkwjlfuiehijfeiblargh. (me choking on the beauty).

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You can still do that now if you live in the right place :p

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm happy i'm not older, 60's seemed good but the 70's very depressing musically and with lack of jobs etc.

I was a kid in the 80's and enjoyed lots of classic films, tv shows, birth of home computers which was great to be a part of, seeing it evolve from tiny 1k computers to 2 ghz PC's and more.

Then as a teenager musically it was great in the early 90's with lots of bands i really got into. The 90's with the internet arriving as well was again a good time to see that go from strength to strength

Seeing the lack of jobs for young people and the terrible music which seems popular i'm so glad i'm not a teenager nowadays.

80's/90's were great times

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    What's depressing about 70s music? People were gettin' funky in the disco scene and partying hard in the rock scene. Admittedly, bands suddenly felt free to actually cover topics other than the (ironically) depressingly generic "I love this girl so much!" staple, but there's easily enough choice to skip any negative themes. I was a teen in the 90s but actually went to 70s and 80s stuff to avoid the miserable whining of grunge/britpop and lack of inspiration in the pop scene.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You should attend to more historic lessons.

16. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    ... I was waiting for someone to post that...

I do know that life in the stone age wasn't as I described it above. They lived in smaller tribes, that only had a few women. And the tribes usually fought each other for the other tribes' women. (or they made deals and traded their women for awesome lightsabers).

Conclusion: more man had to "share" the same woman, and not vica versa (as I sad above).

I also know that women didn't look like *that* in the stone age. Who would feed and drive them around? (she would have to eat a whole T-Rex to satisfy her hunger, right? And it was very dangerous to hunt T-Rexes in that era). Venus of Willendorf is just a small statue that is a symbol of fertility.

Now excuse me, I have to go learn about the French revolution, The civil war and about Reformation and Antireformation for the test.

Thank you for ruining my pun.

17. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I always used to say the 60's, arguably the greatest time in pop music history. The Beatles, the Zombies, the Beach Boys (Pet Sounds and Smile anyway), etc. Those bands have a huge influence on the stuff I write. The 90s as well... there were some amazing pop bands if you did a little digging, like Jellyfish.

All in all I'm happy with the time I'm in now, though. More people have more rights and less prejudices, information is far easier to come by, violence is going way down (despite what you see on the news), heck, even TV is in something of a new golden age right now with shows like Breaking Bad, Louie, Mad Men, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development (returning soon! Yay!)... and of course iPhones and iPads are nice, too. : )

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Regardless of the fact that nowadays we have all this technology which I love, as some have stated, I wouldn't trade when I was born for another time. My time was the 60's and 70's. couldn't have been better! Before AIDS and all, sex was free and easy with basically no worries! It was the absolutely best time for music (rock n roll), you could hitchhike anywhere you wanted to go (remember that?) for free, concerts were killer and how much of today's music do you think will still be bad-ass 40 or more years from now? Insane party-ables were totally rad (did more than my share of that :D). Generally easier living with less stress, people were nicer to each other, kids didn't have electronics then, so we played OUTSIDE all day, sports, etc. we were always in better shape and not lazy. We appreciated what we got with none of this entitlement mentality. We worked for it. And, being too young to have gone to Vietnam and Korea and too old to have to go to Desert Storm and the others got us out of having to do that which was cool! It was the perfect time to be growing up! Local sporting teams were winning big-time, you could have big bonfires at the beach any night. I could go on and on, you get the picture. Baby-Boomers, man. The real deal.

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #19 Vovin, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

I see that you've attended history class.

Let me just add that the right to have women applied in the first place to the strongest men of the tribes.

20. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Well, at least one thing I wouldn't have to worry about.

:p