Universal Doom and Destiny (by Matteo Nicolotti)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 12, 2013.

1. TouchArcade Bot

TouchArcade Bot New Member

Feb 14, 2012

Doom and Destiny

HeartBit Interactive S.r.l.
    Four nerds, drawn into a fantasy world and mistaken for heroes, have to battle their way through a massive, crazy advent…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Four nerds, drawn into a fantasy world and mistaken for heroes, have to battle their way through a massive, crazy adventure and defeat a preposterous villain! This great RPG has magic, dungeons, pizza, and jokes galore. If you ever enjoyed 8bit and 16bit role playing game, pen and paper rpg and nerd humor, you are going to love this game! Do&De features NO in-app purchases (IAP) or ads - you get the entire game for one price! * 20 hours of story and 20 hours of extras, adventures, side-quests, and more! * Turn-based, easy-to-learn combat * Change your party order to apply special bonuses * 100 levels of experience * More than 200 special powers and spells * More than 300 enemies * More than 500 items between potions, chips, weapons, shirts, and armor * More than 700 locations, * More than 10,000 lines of dialog * Epic Flying Spaghetti Monster! See what the users are saying on our official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DoomAndDestiny
    Information
    Seller:HeartBit Interactive S.r.l.
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:Oct 11, 2013
    Updated:Sep 16, 2022
    Version:2.0.3
    Size:238.4 MB
    User Rating: (35)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

Ha, this sounds good. Love those settings and indie RPGs.

*finger hovers over buy button*

*drops finger*

Those abilites sound hilarious!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Looks fantastic... I'll go get dinner then i'll buy when i get back

4. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

This appears to be an established RPG too... It's available on Amazon and Desura, and was in one of those Indiegala bundles once too.

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The game seems smooth so far and worth $0.99 but there is an odd interface where you have to swipe on the right side of the screen in one of the cardinal directions to access certain menus that takes some getting use to. I'm always glad to see a port even if they depend on simulated keyboard strokes.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I agree that the menu controls are a little awkward, but, man, this game has a ton of personality, and unlike some of the jokey, self-aware RPGs we have seen recently, the mechanics are interesting and sound. The game is also an old-school visual treat. An excellent find so far.

7. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Looks really good and it is super cheap and has a small file size. All in, I love old school RPG's, their my third parent. :D

8. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I have this on Windows Phone, it's been out for a little while over there, and it is literally the best game on WP.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I should note that on an iPhone 5/iOS 7 I'm running into a consistent crash at the first boss fight, right when you kill the dragon. Not sure if the crash happens in other devices, but folks may want to hold off till the game is updated.

10. soundshaper

soundshaper Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Looks like a cool little indie rpg

Worth a. Download I guess :)

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Despite having unorthodox controls, this is really really well done i am quite impressed. In fact i think it is much better than some of Kemco's titles.

The setting feels a bit like Knights of Pen and Paper, but this is done much better IMO and has more personality than most iOS RPGs.

For a buck, this is a great great pickup i easily recommend to fans of menu based RPGs.

12. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    How's the story?

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It's similar to Saturday Morning RPG, both exploiting and poking gentle fun a nostalgia and fantasy RPG cliches. You arrive at a friends house to play D&D and discover a gigantic dungeon in his cellar. So far it's very engaging, with tons of funny banter between party members.

I reported the bug in the developer's website. As it stands, however, my progress in the game has stopped until they fix the crashing bug on the first boss fight.

14. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Hmm ok and the jokes are actually funny?

15. generalkai

generalkai Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Eh, looks a lot like an rpg maker game. Doesn't look bad, but definitely nothing special

16. jfrank7

jfrank7 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Im going to take my chances here, the game looks promising and ive bought some 1 dollar games that anooyed me before the 1 hour 1 dollar theory so i guess you cant go wrong on buying this

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    So far, yes.

@generalkai: actually, no, it does not look like an RPG Maker game. In fact, the opening of the game kind of pokes fun at generic RPG Maker games. In any event, saying that an RPG looks like an RPG Maker game is as meaningless as saying that a poster looks like it was done in Illustrator. It's what you do with the tool, not which one you use.

18. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Damn man
    "Why u kno fix crash in beta!?"

19. myopicpaideia

myopicpaideia Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 31, 2012
    CFO
    Sweden
    I confirm this crash - happens at the first boss fight on both my iPad mini and my iPhone 5 both running iOS 7.0.2 - both boss monsters are invisible during the fight, and then I believe the crash is triggered at the point where you defeat one of them.

Disappointed because I was really enjoying this intro episode to the game!

Any chance of the dev. seeing this and submitting a fix so we can continue?

20. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Oh man, this is right up my alley.
    Downloaded, hopefully will have a chance to dig in later on.