Quadblast

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DrSmiley, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrSmiley

DrSmiley Active Member

#1 DrSmiley, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Hi everyone :)

Just wanted to let you all know about the upcoming release of our latest game - Quadblast. Born out of a love of arcade shooters, and a personal distaste for virtual sticks, the control system is a combination of tilt for precision movement, and swipe to activate your 4 lasers. This keeps the screen free from UI clutter, as well as allowing you to keep your thumbs out of the way for the most part, providing a clear view of the action, and hopefully bringing something new to an old genre. As a side benefit, I have also found it greatly reduces the virtual stick feature I've come to know as, "Argrhgrhrghg, my thumbs are on fire!"

Hitting the App Store on June 5th!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heritage Trailer:

First 3 minutes of gameplay:

Featuring:

* Intense arcade action.
    * Unique, responsive control system.
    * Unlockable upgrades to boost your speed, lasers, shields, and even allow you to manipulate time!
    * Jumpstart ability for the hardcore among you, allowing you to bypass the early rounds, to face faster and more numerous enemies.
    * Game Center Achievements and Leaderboards, with real-time tracking of your friends' scores, notifying you in-game when you have bested them.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer :)

2. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I like this.

3. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Very interesting. I don't think I've seen anything that works like this game.

I am very interested in trying it.
    when will you be releasing it?

4. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I wish the control works flawlessly on this game. Personally, I prefer touch rather than tilt to move, but may be I was wrong

5. DrSmiley

DrSmiley Active Member

Hi folks, thanks for your interest :)

And I like that you like this :)

I definitely wanted to try and add something new to the genre, and set it apart from other titles.
    I haven't locked down a date yet, but I'm looking to submit it to Apple next week. Add on a couple of weeks for the approval process and sorting out stuff on the marketing side, and then it should be available for one and all. I'll update this thread when I can be more specific.

The controls do have something of a "patting your head, rubbing your belly" nature to them, but the overwhelming response has been along the lines of "wow, I didn't think that would work, but it totally does!". From my experience, you're definitely not alone with your preference there. I think tilt can certainly be done badly, but games like "Tilt to Live" proved that it can also be done very well :)

6. DrSmiley

DrSmiley Active Member

Just wanted to add a quick update here. Due to wanting to incoorporate some last minute feedback from testing, submission got pushed back a wee bit. Good news though is that Quadblast got submitted to Apple last week, and is currently aiming for a release on June 5th! I've added some gameplay footage above of the first couple minutes with the game, including quickly stepping through the tutorial, to hopefully provide a clearer view of how the controls work :)

7. This game looks really cool. So release is still on for june the 5th?

8. DrSmiley

DrSmiley Active Member

Yup, should be out on the App Store this Thursday :)

9. Alright! Looking forward to this! I love dual stick games and simple vector like games, so looking forward to playing this unique controls game. Looks awesome in the videos.

10. DrSmiley

DrSmiley Active Member

Early access codes

Hi folks,

It's admittedly out this Thursday, and is going to be free anyway, so not THAT amazing a deal, but I have some promo codes left over from speaking to journalists, so if you'd like a sneak preview of Quadblast, feel free to grab one.

XN767PKLTH9E
    67AAKPY77WTX
    XXEXR3NLNP3Y
    MHM3LTMJTENY
    RW9N96KW6KHW

Please post the one you've used to save confusion. I'd love to hear any feedback you may have :)

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #11 Qwertz555, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Thank you for XXEXR3NLNP3Y !

Very nice and polished presenation with vibrant colors, a good soundtrack, fast loading and only 20,2 MB.

The tilt-controls (only) work as perfect and precise as in Tilt to Live, imho, and is played the best in flat position to get the best score, i guess. I tried it out while laying on the couch with the in-game calibration, but no, played flat gets me the best results. There are six upgradable powerups to help you to get better results. Since i'm only five minutes in the game, i can't say much about the coins you earn, but there are missions to get some extra coins and four iap's and, somehow hidden, a coin doubler for 2 bucks.
    Shouldn't you put the doubler to the iap's ? I was scratching my head at first when i saw a "restore purchases" button but only consumable iap's.

A big must-have, please dear Devs, is the missing screen orientation !!!

The real challenging part of this game is to match your reflexes with your eyes and the swipes in one direction while tilting to the other. You understand what i mean the latest if you should download this brilliant highscore-gem.

Edit: I set the sensitive slider to the max after the first game, already. For my taste, still a bit too much of tilting needed. I will see if it gets better once i invested some coins in the "boost your speed" powerup.

12. DrSmiley

DrSmiley Active Member

Cheers for the feedback, glad you're enjoying it so far :)

I understand what you're saying about the doubler's placement. In part it came down to the visibility of it, but the main factor was simply the presentation side, wanting to level out the icons on the upgrade screen, and not having the space on the currency purchase page - the style I chose for the interface tends to take up a lot of room :( What I will do in an update though is change the "restore purchases" button to make it clearer what it is restoring...

As for the screen orientation, it should rotate when you're in the top-level menus, then obviously gets disabled while you're in-game. While I normally play in standard or custom mode with it at a roughly 45* angle, if you're playing with it held horizontally, it would end up flipping in the middle of the action which would be definite frowny faces all round... The time it doesn't re-orientate when you could argue maybe it should is in the Pause or Game Over screens, but my feeling was that at that point you'd have set the orientation you wanted from when you first loaded the game. Is this what you're referring to?

13. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Oops, yep there is flip screen and it makes a lot of sense in this game.

But having played for quite a bit now (upgraded half of all), i'm desperately in need of way more tilt sensitivity !

Thursday is not far, so soon we'll know what others will say about this.
    Thanks again for the code and good luck on the release !

14. What? I played one game, beat jcho already.

Too easy. :p

[​IMG]

15. DrSmiley

DrSmiley Active Member

Hehe, them be fighting words! ;)

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #16 JCho133, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Hah! You beat my first run. I demolished your score not long ago.

To the dev: I am LOVING Quadblast! The best way to describe it is probably Tilt to Live + Geometry wars, or Tilt to Live + Super Crossfire. The controls are fantastic, some of the best tilt controls since tilt to live! And the swipes are super responsive, I never have a problem with those.

The mission system is also loads of fun, because it challenges you to play in unique ways. I would live it if some of those challenges got their own mode (things like no weapon mode, hold the middle mode, etc.).

The upgrade system adds some definite longevity, and each aspect looks like it'll be fun to upgrade. If the game does well, a future update with different gun types would be cool. I have a few ideas.

You use a very respectable F2P system, so I'll be picking up the doubler soon. The adds aren't a bother, but I'm glad any IAP removed them.

I also really like the menu UI, especially in the upgrade menu with the spinning icons. It's the little things that are the best ;)

Really great stuff, thanks for the code!