Why do so many gamers dislike the isometric(top down) camera view type games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dirty Harry Hannahan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I was discussing iOS games with a fellow iOS gamer at work today. Bullet Time HD, Deadlock Online, Lara Croft, and a few others. He dislikes the top down 3rd person camera in these games. He prefers over the shoulder 3rd person camera (Shadowgun, Dead Space) and First person FPS.

Why are so many people turned off by top down games? What's the problem with top down 3rd person camera view? I know it's a personal preference...I just don't understand the hate that some have to game of that type. :confused:

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I would have to say it's because of how restrictive views like that can get. You see a lot more ahead of you in third-person, as opposed to top down.

This was the reason I didn't like Bullet Time as much as I could have, or many dual stick shooters (Minigore especially). I just feel the views are too restrictive and don't let me see as far as I want to.

But! Something like Beat Hazard Ultra I have no problem with - because the screen size is the size of the playing field. I just don't like feeling like I'm about to be ambushed because the damn camera doesn't let me look around.

3. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I feel like I can see more of what's going on around me in top down view games. Especially with "Deadlock Online", I think the top down 3rd person camera perspective works awesome with the game. Same goes for "Bullet Time HD".

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I agree. It really has nothing to with the view area: you can obviously see more from a 3/4 view than from over the shoulder, particularly enemies coming behind you. I think the real issue is immersion, which some people find difficult to achieve from an isometric perspective.

5. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    I just can't get really immersed in the game with the top down view.

6. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Well said! Couldn't agree more with you.

Do you get immersed in TPS games like Dead Space and Shadowgun or First Person FPS games like Modern Combat, NOVA,etc?

7. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Both, on ios the game I've gotten immersed into the most is Deadspace. Many of the first person shooters controls, and stories are their flaws imo

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    You can only see more of what's behind you, and maybe side to side, but that depends on the perspective itself. I feel like I can see more in ShadowGun than I can in Bullet Time. Except behind me, that is.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, behind you is a pretty big "except." ;).

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well yeah, but in a game like ShadowGun I don't even need to look behind me. It's part of the design, really, depending on what you need to see in the game. I'm okay with both views, I just prefer the more "normal" views.