iPhone Fieldrunners 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Jun 11, 2012.

1. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Agreed. I'd definitely buy it, even if it were more expensive than the average Universal app.

2. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    So are you saying that there's a possibility the HD/iPad version could be converted to Universal? If that's the case I'll be getting the HD version.

Or are you referring to another game you're working on?

3. AtomicAlec

AtomicAlec Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    No universal version in the works for Fieldrunners 2. I was referring to other, unannounced projects.

4. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Ah okay, I guess I was just being hopeful, lol. Thanks for clarifying things.

5. AtomicAlec

Nov 8, 2011
    Totally understandable. On that note, one of the reasons we initially decided to do separate versions of the game was to allow us to do iPad exclusive content - things that just wouldn't work with the smaller screen size of the iPhone. Initial feedback from the iPhone version suggested that people just wanted the game now, and we heavily considered just re-rendering the graphics and pushing out the new build immediately. However, as of this afternoon, we've decided that we want the iPad version to really be special and unique, so we're adding in a major new feature that just wouldn't work on any other platform. You guys are going to love it :) Also, cross platform iCloud game saves will still work.

We're all really excited about this new feature for the iPad build. I can't say much more than that at this time, but keep your eyes open for news. Hope to have something for you guys soon :)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

6. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    so this iPad version may take a few months?

If so I will play the iPhone version now and not wait.

7. AtomicAlec

Nov 8, 2011
    I don't have an accurate sense of timing this early, but I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I find out. Rest assured that the iPad version will be really incredible, and we're adjusting pricing so that the fans who buy both versions of the game won't be emptying their wallets to do it. It's important to us that we show our fans the same respect that they show us, and we feel that this is the best way to do it :)

I don't want to say too much more than that right now, considering we just solidified these early details. So, stay tuned for more info!

8. Personally I won't buy iPhone version if iPad version is not included. The code base is largely the same. In fact the iPhone version looks great on the new iPad. If I already bought the iPhone version, I will not likely buy again when iPad version comes out. Fieldrunners (original version) was marketed such that IAP is included in the price of the iPad version. I actually prefer to pay a little more out front rather than nickel and dime me over the lifespan of the game updates. My 2 cents.

9. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Thanks for the explanation. Just 2 quick questions.

1) Will the iPhone version get any content updates that will bring it close to the iPad version? If so, will they be free updates or come in the form of iaps?

2) Will the HD version be released before the end of July?

I'm sitting on the fence right now with regards to your game. I'd love to get it for my iPhone 4S but the battery life seems to be getting worse all the time, to the extent that it's getting less gaming time than I would normally like. Having enough battery power for making phone calls, surfing the Web and checking emails is more important to me at the end of the day.

I do enjoy gaming on my iPad and the battery life is great. The only problem is that I don't take it to work as I travel light and I'm afraid of the screen getting smashed or crushed by some clumsy passenger on the train. That's where having the iPhone version comes in handy.

The main problem is deciding which version to get. Do I get the iPhone one which may not see much time due to battery life issues? Or do I get the iPad version that I will only play at home? That's where a Universal version would've solved this dilemma, but like you said there's no plans to release one.

10. AtomicAlec

Nov 8, 2011
    Understood. It's completely your choice and we appreciate you voting with your wallet as that's obviously the best way to impact our ongoing development - we want to make the games that gamers want to play, so your feedback is crucial to making that happen.

That said, now that we're adding features that just wouldn't be possible on the smaller iPhone screen, I hope you take the time to play Fieldrunners 2 for iPad. The pricing will definitely be less than the value proposition we're making with the game, including the new features.

Thanks for your feedback! Let me know if you have any other thoughts!

11. That makes sense. A better iPad version. I wonder what percentage of people buy 2 versions of the same game, any game.

12. AtomicAlec

Nov 8, 2011

1) The content we're adding to the iPad version simply isn't possible on a smaller screen, so we won't be able to add it to iPhone. Hopefully that doesn't give away too much about what exactly we'll be adding... :) It's a surprise that will definitely make sense once you try it out and see it in action

2) Not sure about the release date yet, sorry! Since the end of July is next Tuesday, I'm going to say no... :)

For what it's worth, we will make the pricing work so that fans won't go broke if they buy both versions. We'll also have cross platform iCloud so folks can transfer save games, etc.

13. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    In all honesty, the best thing to do to keep everybody happy is to offer a higher priced HD Universal version that includes the iPhone version AND an iPhone version only to satisfy the those who either don't want to pay too much or have memory restrictions. That way everybody's happy.

+ I don't see why it can't be done. So the iPad version will have exclusive features - which is appreciated - but why not throw in the iPhone version at the same time for good measure? Even it were to cost £5-6 I'd buy it knowing that it's an all in 1 package.

14. AtomicAlec

Nov 8, 2011
    There are still a lot of other issues to contend with. A big one is that the file size will be about 400mb - much higher than the 50mb download limit for carrier broadband - and we will lose a significant amount of sales from that. On the tech side, I don't believe you can make a universal build that has different features for each device like we're planning - the builds on each device must be the same. On top of that, we're adding a lot to the artwork and engine that iPhones don't have the hardware to handle (or display properly). Ultimately, there are a lot of things to contend with. At the end of the day, we're going to make sure that what we deliver is something that will make everyone happy and be very affordable.

Thanks for your feedback!

15. File size for universal build is a problem for Apple to address. I concur that there is an issue. Why stuff 400 MB into my iPhone if most of that is not even useable? Spice Bandits downloads each level as you go but you are forced to be online while playing. Anything is possible with coding. It may not be worthwhile if the code base is significantly different for iPad vs iPhone (which is not the case for most other games). I am looking forward to the final product would be an understatement.

16. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    So how does the fact that there is iCloud support across iOS devices settle with the fact that there is new, different content on the iPad version?

Is there no iCloud support now?

17. AtomicAlec

Nov 8, 2011
    Tiny Wings 2.0 did it with their unique iPad and iPhone versions, so it must be possible. There is no iCloud support out yet, but it will be out on iPhone before the iPad launch.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Happy to share :)

18. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    I'll be buying the iPad version when it comes out, hopefully it comes with iCloud support from day 1.

19. AtomicAlec

Nov 8, 2011
    Indeed it will :). Thanks for your support!

20. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    this is amazing on the ipad and iphone! Love it! So much more 3D.