iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    i wasnt going to get this with the steep price...but these screen kicked me in my nostalgia.....

2. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Oddly makes no difference with this title... heh. I was surprised... works with all my other games.

3. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Alrite, thats bad, well gonna wait for Ipad version then :) thanks for trying.

4. Neidal

Neidal Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Real Estate Property Manager
    Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
    Damn, after seeing those 2x mode pics, I am totally going to wait for the iPad HD version... the scaling looks nasty in 2x mode... *sigh*

5. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Quick questions if you already got it please.
    1. What is the size todownload?
    2. How do you control the camera?
    3. What other iOS adjustments/modifications/improvements are there?

Thanks.

6. zero144

zero144 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    (I have not downloaded)
    1. From first page "Size of the app is 456 MB."
    2. Seems to be a button in the top left with pan and zoom icons
    3. Over the PSP version? Auto save, retina, touch UI, No slowdown with animations (Of spells etc)

7. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    2. You can easily zoom or rotate by pinching and swiping. At least that's what I saw in the video.

8. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
  9. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    TBH the graphics look bad enough that I doubt retina will make much of a difference.

10. Archifodder

Archifodder Member

May 3, 2009
  11. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    #31 scarypharaoh, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    judging by the video, theyve really put some nice touch controls in there, looks good.

The only problem I have with FF Tactics, nothing to do with price or port. It is the game itself. I purchased the game on PSP a few years ago and had great fun and actually got quite far in the game. However, I made the disatrous mistake one day of looking at a guide online. Turns out I had effectively been "playing it wrong":( Basically the overwhelming options for training up in jobs. I had made a few decisions hours previously which meant that I either had to persist with my crappy choices or grind for ages to unlock the jobs i wanted. That totally killed it for me and I lost interest instantly. I am considering picking this up, but hate that nagging feeling of "I'm not playing this correctly".

This is probably my own OCD tendencies kicking in, but we can't help how we feel can we!:)

12. backslashio

backslashio Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    Its annoying that they didn't even bother to make the text more readable :( I don't mind it not being retina supported but without easy readable text it makes all the other updates seem pointless especially considering how long we've had to wait

13. nremondelli

nremondelli Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
  14. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I know what you mean, but most RPGs with skill tree, jobs tree, etc are always like that. It happened to me when playing RPG games twice. Both times I ended up grinding to get the 'right' skills but that amount of grinding really ruined my gaming experience and in the end I didn't finish the game.

Luckily both games are just alright, so I don't have stained memories of great games like FFT.

15. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    Played this (FFT) on the PSOne a couple of years :))) ago and loved it. I do remember that I came to a battle that I couldn't win and quitted. So I'll give it another try on iOS :)

16. Archifodder

Archifodder Member

May 3, 2009
    I have played every incarnation of this game back to the original PS version and have loved each of them. This game was probably the second game that really hit home with me the whole "grinding" aspects of RPGs - the first being FF1. But even through the grind this game still rocks. The gameplay mechanics, job systems, etc. really enhance the replay value.

17. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    I agree that this game is good, I really did enjoy it when I played it, but I hate relpay value, because I'm not someone who wants to replay anything. It's very few games that I would ever replay, so I want to experience everything I can in one playthrough and then be done with it. Always on the lookout for new experiences rather than re-hashing old ones. Please bear in mind, this is just how I feel about these things, I know that other people love the fact that they can get many playthroughs from one game, just not for me.

I will end up picking this up, just gotta convince my OCD tendencies to allow me to enjoy it as a singular experience....Or just get gamefaqs on my ipad sitting next to me and have the perfect playthrough.

Joke:)

18. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Just so I didn't mislead anyone, I didn't mean the speech bubble text looks blurry on iPhone 4. It looks blurry when viewed on a laptop, because my laptop doesn't have retina screen. But on iPhone 4 it looks much better since the pixels are condensed.

I was just saying it's not true retina since true retina screenshots still look smooth even viewed on laptop, and look even smoother on retina screen.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I don't have time to right now but there will be a major culling of stupid posts in this thread before the game is released this evening. In the meantime, unless you are providing impressions on the game or some other first hand account and are speculating on things like pricing, HD version, and everything else please go back to the upcoming games forum thread here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=58001

Please make our moderation job easier. :(

20. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #40 spleen, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    Confirmed out in Aus, $16.99 (no surprises there).

I was sure our store didn't update till 5am.