Donkey Kong for iPhone

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Salacion, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Salacion

Salacion Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Who here would like to see a game resembling Donkey Kong made for the iPhone? That would be the end all.

What about Fat Princess?

What games would you like to see?

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Something original.

Not another poor man's version of big-name franchise. We've had one too many of those in the Appstore, from NOVA, Gangstar, Blades of Fury, Astro Ranch, Zenonia, etc.

So please, if you're a dev trying to make a game, come up with something creative and not a clone.

3. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Actually, it could be pretty good if you used the 1994 (NES and gameboy) version as a starting point. It expanded on the original formula with about 200 new levels, new enemies, etc, while keeping the same general idea.

Even better if you can make a level editor and level sharing system.

4. Salacion

Apr 14, 2010
    #4 Salacion, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    I completely agree. Games released by large companies are ultimately generic, and quite stale. Take for instance games like Minigore or Abca, created by 2 - 3 developers, that are essentially some of the best games on the iPhone.

Of course, I have yet to come across a side-scroller with the intuitiveness of Donkey Kong. If one does exist, by all means, point me in that direction.

And a game with the same basic principle of Fat Princess has crossed my mind several times. The game would need a strong multiplayer core, in which case, we should wait and see how Game Center comes to fruition.

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

zenonia?

6. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Elevators is something of a homage to Donkey Kong...

7. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Minigore, "essentially the best game on the iPhone". Wow you just made me choke on whatever I was eating at the moment.
    That's the equivalent of saying "Khalid Shaikh is the best developer for the iPhone".
    Apparently I just walked into a thread for a small group of people who thinks the best games for the iPhone are "stale" and the worst games for iPhone are "essentially the best".

8. Sonic66

Sonic66 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    OMG donkey kong would be so awesome and then again so would mario series and road rash

9. Salacion

Apr 14, 2010
    I won't get into it. We have different opinions and different tastes. So I ask, please refrain from these negative comments, and be a reasonable human being. Or maybe you just didn't take your medicine; I don't know.

10. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I don't see how he was being unreasonable, maybe a bit of hyperbole. I also think your argument is weakened beyond repair when you use Minigore as an example of a good game. It is one big bag of late/broken promises, bad DLC, and bugginess.

11. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  12. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Not that there aren't good ones out there but I for one am starting to get sick of indie games. I don't like gameloft, I think their games are shameless rip-offs and bad clones but for now, they are the best console-like dev on the appstore. I am getting tired of all these indie match-three puzzlers and TD games. Even the ones that have a unique concept are getting old because of how shallow they are. So many small-time devs are just throwing another game into the pile instead of actually advancing the platform. Not that I hate indie developers but I would like to see a group of them get together and try to make a truly great game instead of another pretty good one. The platform has the potential for a truly great gaming experience but it needs a combination of manpower (gameloft, ea.) and devotion (indie devs.)

P.S. I am very impressed by warpgate, it is the first game from a minor iphone-only developer to truly feel like a console game that is made for iphone.

13. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Umm, what? That is only true if you have somehow disqualified all the games Freeverse made for Mac, Windows and Xbox 360.

14. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Indie devs. are the only reason I still have an iPod Touch. If it was all big name devs.I probably would have sold my iPod a long time ago and just stuck with my DS lite and PSP go.

15. Salacion

Apr 14, 2010
    Late broken promises?
    Sure, they do take a LONG time to release each update, but broken promises?

Bad DLC?
    How is it bad? If you want to talk about bad, Pocket God is your candidate.

Bugginess?
    Uh, no. The only bug I've seen was the last one, which is being addressed.

16. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    *Sigh*...The only reason Gameloft and such make copycats of Popular games is simple. Their in Demand, and the original publishers dont cash in on the Iphones popularity or release a crappy mobile version that doesnt even close to stack up to it's PS2/PS3/Xbox competitors. Gameloft releasing NOVA and having a multiplayer feature was the best thing they've done. They captured the HALO feel almost perfectly and made many people happy. Gameloft does some amazing 3D games, and people just take credit away because they "Copy". But lets face it, at least they put their own original spin to it and actually dedicate more time to a game than an actual publisher like Activision or something would. Ive been really happy with my Gameloft purchases because they offer a popular game that the original publisher wouldnt do worth a crap.

It's the copycat Publishers who dont put more than three seconds into a game that should be the bad guys here. Because those are the ones who try to cash in without even trying to put time or effort into it.

17. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009

I completely agree w u. Some of the most fun ive had on iPhone was playing Gameloft games. Hope they keep pumping them out. Who cares if they are clones. They clone really good games. And they are part of Ubisoft and release a lot of their games too. Think iPhone gaming owes a lot to Gameloft. They have done a great deal to legitimize the platform.

18. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

Strider, Shadow Dancer, Streets of Rage 2 ports - done right. With good emulation.

Dead or Alive 2 - just port the Dreamcast version. More than enough power to handle it.

[​IMG]

I have no problem with ports or copycats. It fits mobile gaming perfectly - giving you a quick burst of nostalgia, or just a similar feeling to a popular console game.

19. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I understand what Salacion is saying, wanting to give his money to smaller developers who are trying to make something original. I think that everyone who is anti-minigore right now (and for good reason, me included) will admit they have incredible graphics. Any time you throw around words like 'best' or 'worst' you should expect a debate and someone to disagree. As far as chart success, Doodle Jump is one of the highest ranking. Is it the best? Some would say yes. Some would say is just a simple puzzle with no creativity relying on cute gimics. Or Fieldrunners?
    My point is best vs worst is dicey debate.

(Abca???) :confused:

20. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    [​IMG]