Future of iOS gaming: Vita and 3DS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by drez, Jun 10, 2011.

1. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    So we've now been exposed to PS Vita and without a doubt, Sony is going directly at Nintendo and Apple with this device. With the touch screen capabilities along with physical buttons and a very reasonable price point, it is definitely a great new option for portable/mobile gamers.

Add in the 3DS and I'm curious what everything thinks about the effect of these two next-gen portables will have on iOS. Will this cut into the market, or do you guys think iOS will continue to be strong as it has been over the past few years?

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #2 backtothis, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
    Lol, the iOS market has only been growing in the past few years in how much of the portable gaming market share it controls, never faltering even once. It continues to do so everyday still, bringing in tons of new customers daily due to how easy it is to purchase a game and the low prices, that stack up in a way most people wouldn't expect.

From what I've seen so far on my 3DS, it's not a step-up in any way from the DSi and previous models of the DS as far as capabilities are concerned. They're running the same old hardware with improved graphics and improved controls. It's not going to pose much of a problem for the iOS. I actually see Nintendo's share of the portable gaming market to continue to decrease as the iOS and Android gaming continue to grow at significant rates. You're not going to be seeing too much revolutionary releases from Nintendo for the 3DS. Sure, quite a few of the games are fun, but um, it's the same deal as the DSi..From a tech spec perspective? Pure crap.

The Vita..it looks very impressive both from a technical and overhead point of view. We'll see if it's able to bring Sony back from the hell the PSP got it into though. The PSP was probably my most hated gaming platform to date. It was a failure in so many ways, most of all, in sales and revenue for Sony. But yeah, we'll see how well it'll sell. I don't understand why people are so shocked by the price point though. $250 sounds like the standard to me for what you're getting according to the last five years of the portable video gaming market. Not sure why the price of the console matters that much anyways. Unless you're planning on pirating games, you're going to be dropping $50 for each new purchase. That matters more. Selling watered down games for the same price as their PS3 counterparts? Great.

It's a fitting price, but no bargain in any way. The 3DS is just overpriced for what they've improved/added since the DSi. Sales for Nintendo are definitely reflecting that. But yeah, you're probably never going to find another platform that will attract developers and consumers alike at the rate the iOS does. The AppStore is generally still behind in quality in comparison to PSP and DS games, but that's going to change soon enough.

It doesn't really matter though. It's all about the money. Quality doesn't matter for shit if you're not selling. Price x Quantity determines everything for a company's sales, and Apple wins in both factors as far as the entire video game industry is concerned. Check out the rate at which iOS device owners increase daily and the number of paid apps that are purchased daily. The numbers are really something. They've got visibility. Until the majority of games start shooting up past the 1 GB mark regularly for iOS games (never), Apple is the future of portable gaming. Cartridges and discs are a thing of the past.

Apple already dominates as the biggest market share in the world. Look for Microsoft, Nintendo, and Motorola on the list. Apple's reign has already begun. Let's see what the A5 brings to the fifth generation.

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    No competition; the PSV and 3DS don't exist in the same market as iDevices, which double (or triple) as portable gaming, productivity and entertainment suites. Where-as owners of the former have access only to expensive, "tried and tested" games which are proven to be successful in the market (Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc) or other big hits (Tekken, Uncharted, Final Fantasy, Mario, etc etc), we iOS gamers have the hidden privilege of playing a multitude of games for a fraction of the cost.

I used to own a Nintendo DS (slim). Sold it.
    I used to own a PSP. Twice. Sold it twice.
    I owned an iTouch 3GS (32GB). Don't even use it, but still Have it.
    I own an iPhone 4. Love it.
    I own an iPad 2. Love it.

I don't need to worry about Cartridges, UMDs or other physical media. I can access a plethora of games and enjoy multiple, frequent sales. Hell, that in itself feels like a game: waiting for a game you want to go on sale for a long time, and getting that WINNING feeling once it drops to 0.99. It's 360-degree satisfaction all around for me.

With the use of the front-facing camera, there is potential for 3-dimensional involvement a-la the 3DS, as we've seen in i3D already (the tip of the iceberg). Things only go up from here :)

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    iOS = WINNING!
    3DS = LOSING!
    Vita = ewwww.......

But i all seriousness, i think that the PS Vita and 3DS are going to inspire Apple to go above and beyond in terms of graphical performance and how much it can handle. We've already see fully fledged handheld games come to the iOS like GTA: Chinatown Wars and LEGO Harry Potter, and we've already seen console quality graphics from games like Dead Space and Infinity Blade. There's no doubt in my mind that these idevices are going to get better and better.

5. nathancho

nathancho Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    College student
    Denver
    First off i do a lot of gaming on my ipad2, iphone and ipod touch so Im not a nintendo nor sony fanboy.... The thing about gaming on IOS as of right now i dont really see it as a device for "hardcore" gaming (it has the potential just not there) RTS games have huge potential i have a lot of them and i in this case they work much better on here than on my 3DS or PSP GO. The adventure games on my PSP and DS just feel better with the physical controls. You can mention Infinity Blade and ill agree they got it down (They arent trying to use onscren "buttons" nor analog stick) the only problem for me is that it really has no story or depth. By no depth im not saying the accesspries i mean an engaging story that has me hooked. Also FPS games suck on PSP and havent gotten any on 3DS but the graphics killed it for me on older ds (maybe metroid prime game was ok but thats all) point is I love the gyroscope and my fling stick if only we had better graphics and story. I play my 3DS for controls mostly and graphics (rayman2 on ipod touch vs on 3DS or fifa11 vs PES) i guess what im trying to say is developers should try and use the touch technology and be creative with it make some games that are up to par with other portable systems games like mario, zelda, grand theft auto. I dont mean copy these games and throw some virtual controls on em, The IOS should have its own style of games, with depth not "cut the rope" or "fruit ninja" more along the lines of infinity blade (very original) make that into a compelling and attractive story with decisions and all that good stuff, make it an IOS exclusive and we have a "hardcore" gamers device...... Just my opinion i guess, im glad every year the games get better and better in terms of gameplay and graphics were getting there. I just dont see it as a replacement for the Vita or 3DS they are too different. I play mosty casual games, a couple shooters, of course RTS and strategy on my IOS devices, everything else adventure, RPG, Action, sidescrollers, sports (besides golf or pool), etc on my other portables.....

6. SpaceJoker

SpaceJoker Member

Jun 8, 2011
    In my opinion right now we still two different markets, one of 3DS/Vita, and other for iOS. While we've been receiving great titles with more depth, the lack of controls still makes some styles of games a bit unplayable (games like Street Fighter certainly are more fitting for the 3DS), but on the other side, by having a completly unique control system from the other platforms, it also brings some very unique games that could not happen anywhere else. For me, that is the strongest point of the iOS. A deep game with clever controls = win.
    I would also love to have more Final Fantasy titles on the iOS, and as someone said, RTS games have lots of potential, especially on the iPad.

7. nathancho

nathancho Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    College student
    Denver
    haha thats pretty much everything i wanted to say. Very well put.... even tho the Vita has a touchscreen it's the same as an RTS on ipod touch it works but loses its appea with the tiny screen compared to iPad. Totally agree on the clever controls. gyroscope+touch ther is tons of possibilities. I still don't see myself in the future trying to decide whether to get the latest IOS device or Sony/Nintendo Device they are different experiences for me in terms of gameplay....

8. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    With the psvita the only games that look good are uncharted and little big planet which will get boring soon and then you will have to wait a year or so before more games come out. as for the 3ds there are no good games for it yet.

9. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I can personally care less about console wars I have a xbox 360, ps3, wii, 3ds, psp(soon getting a vita), iOS, and would purchese any portable that xbox makes

10. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Awesome opinions. I guess I'll say my opinion now.

I tend to agree with the folks that say iOS is likely here to stay. I guess in many ways it really is a different market. Vita especially but the 3DS too is more appealing to the "hardcore" gamer. That is where you are going to find most of your big budget well known franchises. The iPhone has it's share of big name games now, but they tend to be on a much smaller scale aside from the occasional PSP/DS port (GTA:CTW, Civ: Rev etc..).

At the same time, I do think there is some overlap, especially when considering the iPod Touch. People with a limited budget for hardware are likely going to buy one or maybe two devices, and based on the potential gaming offerings you'll get from Vita and 3DS, it's tough to for mesee some people buying an iPod touch instead. With so many cell phones/smartphones with mp3 capabilities, I think MP3 players are dying a slow death and so really the focus of the iPod Touch I think is more on apps/games than anything else. Hopefullly the iOS gaming market can continue to evolve and help convince people to pick one up.

My main concern with iOS gaming vs the portables is that I really wonder just how much money there is to make on the App Store. Sure we have our suckles stories like Rovio or Firemint, but then this forum is flooded with commentary on devs who are barely able to scrape by on their sales. I just recently saw a post from the 100 Rogues dev taht basically said they make nothing. For a game that seemed to get a good amount of buzz for a while, it's a little eye opening to see that. Sure the big devs I'm sure do ok, but then I'm also sure EA makes more money from Madden alone than all of EA mobile combined. The finances of the App store just don't seem to make me think we'll be getting out of where are right now (mostly shovelware, high amount of puzzle/casual games, handful of "bigger" titles from big devs, periodic portable port/console like experience). I just don't see iOS getting much closer in terms of quality to 3DS or Vita anytime soon.

So I guess overall I don't see iOS dying off, but then again I also question where we go from here. I'd really like to see more full featured titles vs dozens of puzzle/casual games with the occasional "hardcore" release. I just don't see us progressing from that, and that makes me sad.

11. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    We have Great Little War Game running on Vita, which was promoted by Sony themselves at E3.
    </plug>
    Graphics wise, Vita about the same as an iPad 2, maybe a little better. But I can tell you the quality of the display (the actual physical pixels) is fantastic. I mean really, really, fantastic. When you see it, you'll want one. Also, it actually has, get this, game controls. :)

3DS? Meh. Gone right off Nintendo now, especially when they keep coming up with these rubbish names for stuff. :)

12. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    You guys pretty much said it already, so i'll just reiterate, it is absolutely common to own an ipod and DS, PSP. But I see at lot more people with just ipods/iphones than vice versa. There is still, and for a while down the road, going to be room for the dedicated gamers to have both (ipods/iphones kill the other two in day to day portability, and for everyone else, idevices have much more appeal.

13. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I will mention something that hasnt been said and should be the topic. IOS is slowly taking sales from Sony and Nintendo for years now. The real threat is Android , a very big threat. Android has been selling multiple devices at an incredible rate , knocking off windows phone 7.
    Here is why Android is a treat
    1) Angry birds and similar games are free on Android , but we have to pay here.
    2) Android's root process is way simpler than ipod jailbreaking , which means more people can do it.
    3) Android's advertising itself as everything free. People as we all know are cheap and rather free than payed. Plus Android doesnt protect developers the same way Apple does, which means easy pirating. Instead of waiting for 99 cent sales , people just download and install the apk.

14. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #14 dumaz1000, Jun 10, 2011
    It's a different market. iOS is for casual gamers and indie developers. Vita and 3DS are for dedicated gamers and major developers. They can easily co-exist, in the same way that Microsoft and Nintendo co-exist in the console marketplace, but Microsoft and Nintendo target a different audience.

I want a quality of game that the iOS simply cannot deliver on. Different people with different tastes feel differently. I actually went back to playing the PSP again, which I hadn't done in years. Now, part of this is because virtually every PSP game can be obtained these days for $20 or less. The PSP offers games that are truly a complete package. The iOS just doesn't and I don't believe it ever will.

My concern is whether or not the Vito can consistent sell software well if they are going to price their handheld games at 49.99 a piece. That is a steep price for portable gaming. Games averaging between .99c-2.99, like with what happens with iOS gaming is ridiculous. It has turned the iOS marketplace into a complete joke. Very few major developers have any respect at all for the platform. It may turn out that games averaging 49.99 is also ridiculous, only coming from the other extreme end of the spectrum. I don't know for certain. I feel like Nintendo has hit the sweet spot, charging 39.99 for high-quality retail releases. Sony could still follow in Nintendo's footsteps and do the same, but I suspect that they won't.

Android is a threat to Apple as a complete smartphone. It is not a threat to Nintendo or Sony. Android gaming is not good. People who buy Android phones don't buy them for gaming purposes. Android is far more flexable than Apple, which tends to be very rigid and constraining. Android offers more options. Apple offers less. That's an Apple problem, not a Sony problem.

15. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

This one is irrelevant. The vast majority of people don't jailbreak their devices or have any desire to do so. In fact, taking it a step further, the vast majority of people don't even know what it means.

Jailbreaking is a power-user thing interesting and/or relevant only to a tiny percentage of the overall mobile devices user base. Most people just want a phone that works reliably and can fire up a few games when needed.

16. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I have to agree with the person above. Despite what others think, I don't believe iOS will ever go away from being a mostly casual/shovelware platform with the occasional watered down version of a major franchise with the rare full gaming experience you can get on a portable.

Some people seem to believe iOS is going to evolve into a more serious platform, but that won't happen with games costing a dollar or two and Apple not maintaining any standards on what gets released. On another thread Activison basically said they refuse to just be one of 400,000 apps. There goes an entire library of franchises we likely won't see much of on iOS.

17. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    #17 Zevious Zoquis, Jun 10, 2011
    Ha, I can live without Activisions franchises. Theres new franchises appearing every day on the app store...

While the "hardcore crowd" repeatedly try and tell us IOS gaming is for casual gamers and wont ever appeal to the "real" gamers its just sounding more and more like fiddling while rome burns to anyone paying attention to whats going on. IOS gaming is going to continue to get better, and its already very good. Frankly an awful lot of the most interesting and entertaining games to appear in the past couple years have been IOS games. You can crow all you want about how great the latest COD game might be, but I'll take Fruit Ninja anyday. The fact of the matter is that the console scene is getting more and more hackneyed and boring every day.

But IOS isn't really competing with home consoles anyway, its competing with portables - and it trumps dedicated gaming machines in many ways. The lack of buttons and D pads is less and less an issue as time goes by. I've been playing games on my iphones for a couple years now and can honestly say I hardly ever feel like touch screen controls impede my enjoyment. I can easily get by without the physical buttons. The big advantage is not having to carry several devices around - the idevice does it all for me. I don't ever even want to spend hours at a time working my way through some 40 hour console-style rpg on a portable device. The games on the iphone are perfect for filling the small segments of time I get during the day to play a few minutes - and I'm willing to bet the number of gamers like me far outweighs the number of hardcore gamers looking to play Final Fantasy on a portable. In years past, I didn't have a choice - if I wanted to game on the go I bought a dedicated machine. Now I (and millions like me) do have a choice, and the choice is a device that does all the things I need a device to do gaming and otherwise. I've got a PS3 and Wii and a couple PCs (not to mention a GC, DS and GBA) at home for more "serious" gaming.

I'm totally uninterested in any dedicated portable game systems at this point. The iphone fills the need for me. Honestly, I've had way more fun with games I've gotten for a dollar from the app store over the past year than I ever did with the DS I bought a few years back...in fact, I suspect the 3DS is going to end up being a failure by Nintendo standards.

18. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

One of the best things about App Store games are the extremely low price points. I think the PSVita's and 3DS' games will be around 10x as much, so it's practically two different markets.

I do want a PSVita though. I'm willing to pay so much for a good-looking game on an amazing handheld device, I'm just not sure casual iOS gamers are too.

19. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    iOS: Casual pickup-and-play games. Granted there are pretty deep games, but the PSV and the 3DS can go deeper when done right.
    3DS & PSV: Dedicated gaming devices meant for far deeper games.

Nuff' said.

But really, as long as Shin Megami Tensei games aren't on the iOS, I will buy the other two as well.

20. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    I have an iPod touch and a HTC EVO, and I can personally tell you that gaming is MUCH better on iOS. The touch screen is much more responsive, there are more apps, and there aren't websites like this about Android gaming ;). I can also tell you that Android is NOT easy to root. I do agree on the pirating issue because you can install apps from anywhere on the internet.