Prometheus - 3D Mid-core Platformer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MikeNintendo, Aug 15, 2013.

1. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #1 MikeNintendo, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hey everyone!

We’re Room 8 and we’re working on a new mid-core platformer. All of us on the team have been fairly anxious to see how it all comes together since we already set the bar pretty high for ourselves with Cyto’s Puzzle Adventure for iOS earlier this year. We believe - as corny as it sounds - that enough attention to detail and focus on interesting new gameplay experiences are enough to get players to really enjoy themselves.

Our mission is to make gamers happy. That’s why we need you. Help us make sure our next game is up to snuff and let us know what you think of the concept. Here’s a rough concept summary (please take into account that it’s still a work in progress):

Prometheus is a 3D Platformer adventure highlighting a deep narrative, sophisticated battle mechanics, and RPG gaming elements.

Story

The game’s story is based around the conflict between Prometheus and Zeus. Prometheus stole fire - the symbol of godly power - from Zeus, to give as a gift to people - imbuing them with the power of the gods and the power of knowledge. The game enables players to play through Prometheus’s quest, as well as his many run-ins with monsters - sent by the gods to stop him from completing his mission - and at times his battles with the gods hell bent on stopping him in his tracks themselves.

[​IMG]
    Prometheus

[​IMG]
    Zeus

Goal

The main goal of the game is to navigate Prometheus through one level after another. Every level will require gamers to complete a number of diverse gaming tasks before they reach its end. These include killing incoming monsters, clearing various obstacles, discovering secret rooms, completing missions, and collecting bonus items. Once players reach the end of a given level its considered complete. The player’s ultimate goal is to pass through every level in the game, at which point Prometheus’ full storyline will be revealed in its entirety.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gameplay will also be directly affect Arena and God modes. In order to unlock every available stage within these modes players will first need to complete every level in Prometheus’s campaign on a number of different difficulties.

[​IMG]

Fighting Mechanics

A primary gameplay element of Prometheus will be to engage in real-time battles with monsters and gods. The game features a wide array of monsters which Prometheus will have to battle. Each unique in-game monster features diverse skills and strengths. For this reason the game’s battle system emphasizes the importance of performing combination attacks to protect Prometheus from monsters’ own attacks on him. As the game progresses in-game monsters become more powerful as well, with their attacks doing more and more damage, and their health banks growing larger and larger. The player will have to continuously level up their in-game skills and the intelligence level of their character in order to be able to defeat monsters even as they grow more and more powerful.

[​IMG]
    Minotaurs

[​IMG]
    Harpy

Multi-tiered in-game mission structure

The game features a number of different mission types, each of which are handed to players at different points within gameplay. There are global missions - central achievements within the game - and localized missions, which will be intermittently handed out to players while they’re making their way through a given level. When players complete any mission they will make strides further through the game’s plot in addition to being rewarded with points or valuable in-game items.

Quick-Time-Events

Every aspect of Prometheus will be structured to actively engage and entertain players. Completing actions as simple as for instance opening a door will requires players to play mini-games we’ve termed ‘Quick Time Events’. These mini games will pop up frequently throughout Prometheus’s campaign. Quick Time Events are straightforward to play will also serve as a platform which will enable players to be actively involved in moving the game’s plot forward in an interactive fashion.

That’s pretty much it.
    Please share your opinion about the game - what you like and dislike. We will be glad to keep you updated with the development progress.

Follow Prometheus latest news on Facebook.

UPDATE 1:

[​IMG]
    Level design concept art

[​IMG]
    Elevator concept art

[​IMG]
    Legionnaire

[​IMG]
    Cyclops concept

[​IMG]
    Fountain

[​IMG]
    Cup

[​IMG]
    Elevator shaped as a Titan's hand

[​IMG]
    Screenshot 1

[​IMG]
    Screenshot 2

[​IMG]
    Screenshot 3

[​IMG]
    Draw-well

[​IMG]
    Hades concept art. God of the underworld

[​IMG]
    Statue of Zeus

[​IMG]
    Axe. Minotaur's weapon.

2. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    I really like what I see and I'm looking forward to a gameplay video!

Btw:I hope you include GameCenter with Achievements.

PS: ETA for this Game?

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    It's too easy to compare this to other games like Prince of Persia and Babylonian Twins, and I'm sure this differs significantly from those titles, but in any case I'm very interested in prospects for this one! Coming soon, I'll hope?

4. PartTimeEvil

PartTimeEvil Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the smaller quests within larger ones. That's not super common in side scrollers (I think they started doing it in God of War?) but it's fun.

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Whoa, this looks sweet.

6. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    good graphic and story :)

7. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Thank you. What you see is just around 60% of the upcoming art quality, we are working on it. The gameplay video is coming pretty soon, I will update the thread with it.

Sure, we will include GameCenter and variety of achievements:)

As to the expected date of release - we expect it to go live in 4th quarter 2013 - 1st quarter 2014, but it's hard to predict as we want to make sure it's polished and is in compliance with gamers' demands.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This looks great but what are the controls like ? Seen too many platformers where the controls kill it.

Its nothing crazy like swipes or auto running is it ? Are there on screen buttons, eg left/right/jump ?

I wish someone would do a game like Swordigo, that game was amazing, got tons of reviews/awards but surprisingly no sequel. Would love this to be non-linear and have lots of different missions etc.

9. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    #9 MikeNintendo, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Well, you are right at some point. It's hard to differ significantly from the founders of platformers, especially considering the fact that they inspired us and they still are. Those titles are really great. We will try to use the best elements of the genre while contributing something new.

Like I said before - we expect it to go live in 4th quarter 2013 - 1st quarter 2014, but can't be certain.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I really love 2.5D games and this one seems like a good addition to that genre.

11. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013

I totally agree - controls are a huge problem for mobile platformers.
    There will be no swipes and auto runs, no worries;) But we still need to think hard of how we will perform the controls in Prometheus.
    I'll attach some more screenshots next week, will be nice to hear your opinion about it.

BTW: Swordigo is a masterpiece indeed. Are there any more titles you can highlight regarding good controls?

12. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    #12 MikeNintendo, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Update

Hey guys, check out a new level design concept. It's just a sketch but I'd like to know what you think of it
    [​IMG]

13. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Here are some more art concepts

[​IMG]
    Elevator concept art

[​IMG]
    Stairs model

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Platformers with fantastic virtual button controls:

Mikey Shorts/Hooks
    League of Evil 1/2/3
    Mutant Mudds

Meganoid 1/2 (and ALL platformers by Orangepixel)
    Spell Sword

Platformers with great swipe controls (a little inferior than buttons, but the advantage is that they are invisible, and dont clutter the screen with buttons. These usually only work on slower paced platformers):

LIMBO
    Prince of Persia Shadow and the Flame
    He-Man (this one works, but not as great, because of how fast paced it gets. surprisingly works well though)

15. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    #15 MikeNintendo, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Update

We keep working on hostile mobs. What do you think of these?
    And also please follow other news and updates on Facebook

[​IMG]
    Legionnaire

[​IMG]
    Cyclops concept

16. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Hi! Thank you for the extended list. That will help us a lot. Moreover I share your opinion on all of the mentioned titles. That's really cool.

Would you be interested in taking part in our Prometheus playtest when we get closer to the testing stage?

17. lepke

lepke Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Japan
    Since it will be awhile, right? Please consider controller support.

Love what you shown so far.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Sure thing. Would be very interested to be a part of Prometheus beta.

19. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Will this be a metroidvania type of platformer or is it stage based??Are there physics involved just like in trine??

20. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Thank you! We expect the game to go live somewhere around 4th quarter 2013 - 1st quarter 2014.