iOS vs Consoles : a worthy battle?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Prhaber, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #1 Prhaber, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    I was a console gamer through and through - a couple of years ago nearly all of my gaming experience was on consoles with the occasional session on pc. Now iOs has completely changed the way I play; my daily gaming tends to be on my iPod touch with the occasional session on a Xbox360 game. Although I still love the xbox, iOS suits me better as I find playing on my iPod fits in better with my life now - full-time work, a partner and family.

I've also found I'm playing a much wider variety of games on iOS, mainly because there's so much there at such a low cost. The time I spend on the xbox tends to be on bigger more mainstream 'blockbuster' games.

Has iOS changed anybody elses gaming habits? Has iOS become your gaming machine of choice, and are consoles losing out to mobile devices? And are mobile devices going to be better than consoles at providing a varied gaming experience?

2. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I used to play on my JAVA phone besides CONSOLES/PC ,so no !!

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Not really I've started drifting back to proper consoles but I do like the Ipod for kairosoft type games. To be honest I'm using my PSP more than my ipod lately as well.

It's a nice device to have in your pocket but I think with games you get what you pay for with a few exceptions.

4. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    To be honest I spend more time now on my iPad than I do on any on the consoles I own. You could say I turned to the dark side a couple of years ago when I brought a 3rd gen iPod touch. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the app store. iOS fits perfectly round home life.
    I've also played more varied games than I would on a console. The last big game I played was Assassins Creed Brotherhood on PS3.
    After the experience I've had with the botched 3DS release I'm not looking at replacing any of my home consoles when the next gen arrives

5. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    The PS2 was the last thing I owned and I got rid of it 4 years ago. Since than I haven't had the time or intrest in video games. The games I saw coming out were not that interesting to me and to much money. I wanted an iPod classic for Christmas cause I needed the space and wasn't interested in apps. Got a Touch instead and been playing on it since. Most of what I do is gaming on my iPod. I love the variety and the games are a lot of fun. I have always been more of a casual gamer but IOS got me liking games again. With a wife and kids it's perfect for what I need.

6. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    This discussion comes up a lot, but I just thought I'd chime in and say that I play almost exclusively on ios, since I was not really much of a gamer before at all. Obviously, there are very few console level experiences, but the fun factor is here and better for me personally, and I just don't have the time to sit at a console. The way I see it going right now, there is absolutely massive potential for the ipad right now, and it could easily offer pretty immersive experiences. I don't think the ipod iphone ever will by themselves to the same degree, but eventually I could see the ipod/iphone paired with apple tv (or maybe cheaper airplay only device) using airplay having some mssive potential. I am surprised this is hardly ever discussed, but I really see this becoming huge if it cathes on. The ability to play games in your pocket anywhere, and then pick right up and play them on your massive TV screen in minutes with no setup just seems like it could work well with some games. I just don't how mainstream it could become, and if apple would ever push such a thing (like they are kind of doing on the Ipad).

7. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as you Prhaber. Ever since the introduction of the App Store, the convenience of iOS gaming and the ability to purchase so much for such a low price has dominated my handheld/console gaming time.

I was thoroughly excited when I got my 3DS recently, but that was only short lived. It's hard to purchase a $40 game now when I consider that I could pick up at least 40 smaller games that would be just as entertaining if not more so. I know the argument will always swing that iOS gaming isn't "true" gaming and that iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads aren't gaming devices. If that statement is true, then what exactly am I playing 99% of the time, fake games?

I don't like to pigeon hole any person into a gamer or non-gamer. I think that if you enjoy games, any games, that it should be enjoyed on the platform of your choice. They all have their pros and cons, the same for iOS devices.

All I know is that I was a Chucky Cheese waiting for a Birthday party to end and I had an absolute blast being able to play my iPod Touch. Yes a 3DS/DS/PSP would have worked just as well, but it comes down to absolute convenience and fun.

8. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Reminds of this Penny Arcade strip.

9. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    No.

You can't compare them.

Stop.

10. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Not even comparable to handheld gaming, no where close to consoles.

11. ImaRetroMan

ImaRetroMan Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    La Puente, CA
    This is random, but you want to add me as a friend on 3DS? :D.. You'll be my first friend xD.. I need to find more people to add cause im really interested in tryin out the friends system on 3DS.. As for the topic at hand, iOS gaming definitely took me over from the Playstation 3. I used to spend hours on Demon's Souls but i always ended uo going back to Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, Guitar Hero, PvZ, etc. But still, when im in the mood to play an actual "Game" game, i just turn on my PS3 and game on..

I recently bought a 3DS though with Zelda and Star Fox (definitely buying MK7, Super Mario 3D Land :D) and it completely took over.. :3

12. TravisR2H

TravisR2H Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Its not a question of what is "better" or if IOs is the same quality. To me, a console cant compare to my Ipad as an overall experience because the Icade matches my interests/lifestyle better.

When I sit down with my Ipad, I can do any (or all) of the following:
    1. play a handful of games
    2. buy and play a new game within 30 seconds
    3. play a board game (favorite activity)
    3. watch a movie
    4. surf the net
    5. read a book
    6. read a comic book
    7. social networking

All these experiences are effortless to do, and I can do all of it on a train or while my wife is watching TV. Also, I think that graphics etc, are secondary to gameplay and variety. This is something that IOS does very well.

13. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    I frequently jump between my pc and my itouch, but in the end, I end up playing iOS games much more frequently, because of the convenience.

14. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    If you had asked me 2 months ago, I would have said that I preferred playing ios games hands down. The games are constantly getting better, and it moves forward in leaps and bounds. Eventually, it will surpass consoles. Or at least become the console(calm down, I know it won't happen for 10ish years, don't go crying about it yet). But I recently started playing League of Legends. Which kinda just cut the time I spent on my iTouch in half. Not that I don't pull it out for quick gaming sessions or when I'm not home, but I don't just sit down and play it for an hour straight anymore. But given 2 or 3 more years, ios games will be comparable to consoles.

15. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    iOS is still not at the same level.

16. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The only way I'd spend more time iOS gaming than on consoles would be if both my 360 and PS3 got stolen/burst into flames.

I also play more on my PSP than iOS nowadays, but that's just me, everybody's different.

17. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    i think the consensus that seems to be emerging is:

1. iOS gaming experience is not really comparable to Console gaming presently.
    2. For most, gaming on iDevices is more about convenience, quick gaming and cheap gaming.
    3. For a real indepth experience consoles etc. are still the best bet

18. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I agree with the above but I'd like to add something; I think that iOS games are getting to the point where they're providing something very different but just as important as console games. Their strength comes not from emulating console games but providing small, cheap pick up and play titles that are unique to mobile touchscreen devices. IMHO, for a keen gamer who is interested in all forms of gaming, iOS games provide the perfect accompaniment to console games. Variety is the spice of life after all. But if I had a choice I'd go for my iPod touch over my xbox360 purely because of the variety of games on my iPod (40-50 hugely varied titles) alongside my favourite films, books and music.

19. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Variety is the spice of life and while there are small independent developers providing good quality games for IOS then I think you will see more people prepared to give IOS a go. It seems to me that no one wants to take a risk when making console games and IOS seems to me teaming with fresh ideas.

20. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    iOS games and console games used to be completely different in nature. However with an increasing number of iOS devs trying to bring a more 'console-like' experience to mobile devices, I can see why this battle exists. Honestly, the two will be separated forever (in my opinion). If the prices on iOS games stay low like they are, then people will always be able to buy both so people will continue to play both.