Super Meat Boy for iOS

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DigitalB33R, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Martin JF

Martin JF Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    You're probably not very good at it, and that's why you don't enjoy it. Super Meat Boy is amazing at what it does. Look at it objectively: just because you don't like it doesnt mean that there's something wrong with it. SMB is an absolutely stellar title, and does what it does very very well.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I completed every flash version there ever was with all band-aids. (There was a badge for it on Kongregate).

So no, I'm not bad at it. I just don't like it. I am glad it spun off the genre, I hold nothing against the developers, but I prefer my controls to be a hell of a lot tighter. My view, of course.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I have no interest in this after all the bullshit they've spouted about the iDevice, virtual controls, and other iOS games influenced by Meat Boy... Douchy Devs don't deserve $$$$

4. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    March 31st when they posted it was April 1st on the East Coast US, Extending to Alaska. No hope.

5. Martin JF

Sep 10, 2009
    #25 Martin JF, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012

Tighter than Super Meat Boy? Please. Besides, did you use a keyboard and mouse? Because they have said that it is not supposed to be played that way. You are supposed to use a gamepad.

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #26 Echoseven, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
    Oh, so now I *have to* get peripherals to enjoy the game? Besides, it's not exactly the controls I have a problem with, it's the handling. I don't like the slipperiness - it is not precise.

Look, it's a game that I happen to not like. End of story.

7. Martin JF

Sep 10, 2009
    That wasnt the point i was trying to make, now was it? Just because you dislike a game doesnt mean its crap.

And, btw, a Gamepad is actually something you should own if you play a lot of games on your PC. It really helps a lot on several games, Meat Boy included. Heck, on Team Meat said that you are supposed to play the game with a controller, and if you use a keyboard its not their problem.

8. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Basically, the point many here want to cement is that because you happen to not like a game most others do, that automatically makes you stupid. Strange, I know. ;)

Back on topic, however, this is not an April Fools joke. There's been WAY too much confirmation of this title for it to be. Besides, when you have a successful game development company and want to get a progress report out on a new game, I don't think you'd give a crap what day it was. (and ps, Edmund posted it the day BEFORE 4/1 anyway :rolleyes:)

9. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    He has the RIGHT to complain about clones. If I spend my hard time on a game and you copy it, I would be pissed. He's right about the iOS system too.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I don't think anyone has an issue with grousing about iOS clones. The resentment comes from comments on the viability of the iPhone as a gaming platform -- basically the dev called iOS the Tiger Handheld of this generation (he even released a joke game in the App Store to hammer the point home). There's a feeling that Team Meat is now realizing how much cash they're leaving on the table, as it were, by ignoring the huge iOS market. You can understand why some folks don't take kindly to this property.

Personally, I think the best way to make amends is to release a kick-ass game ;).

11. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I think that the essential element of his criticism is correct - that some developers release poorly translated ports of their popular console games to iOS with the intention of cashing in on their brand rather than producing a quality gaming experience. This is the analogy to the Tiger LCD games which sold versions of popular games on the reputation of the brand alone, the gameplay being vastly inferior to the original. That they are producing an entirely new Meatboy game for iOS rather than cashing in on an inferior port indicates two things, first that they have a respect for their product and the gamer, and also that they probably came to respect some of the amazing games that have been created natively for the platform as well as their creative developers. Although the iPhone is my primary console, I think that it is legitimate to criticize the app store which perhaps produces at least a hundred poorly made games for every decent one that is released. In the end it may be less about Team Meat trying to cash in, as evidenced by the creation of a new game from the ground up, and more about meeting a demand that has been created by iOS gamers. If you follow user reviews, it has become almost cliche to describe a good platformer as "the closest thing to Super Meatboy on iOS." Last year they even endorsed Cheeseman which was inspired by Meatboy, by allowing the use of their logo and character. Personally, I admire Team Meat's creative work and look forward to playing the new game.

12. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    You're wasting your energy, man. You know that in the gamer world, if you don't like a game it's because...well, you're just bad. :rolleyes:

As an aside, I'm looking forward to this game (if real), and I'm glad they want to make a game that works with the strengths of the interface, rather than try and shoehorn virtual controls in an attempt to appease gamers used to a certain paradigm. Whether "douchy" (as someone labeled them) or not, I have faith these guys can make a fun game on iOS. Really, that's all that matters to me. My faith they can do that was only affirmed by them admitting that virtual controls are a poor, anemic substitute for a more organic approach to the interface. Rather than fight it, take a little extra time and effort to find a sweet spot that makes sense for the platform.

13. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Tommy Refenes, creator of Super Meat Boy, provides a response to his prior App Store criticisms:

http://bit.ly/IGRJKn