Meganoid (2017)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by orangepascal, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Toucharcade posted about it, so it's official now! :)
    Besides working on Ashworld, I also started work on a Meganoid reboot.

It's early, REALLY EARLY, in the development process, so I'm still working out the details but here's what's currently up and running:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The few things I can say for certain right now:
    - it will be a platformer
    - it will be difficult/challenging at times
    - it comes with unlimited procedurally generated levels on each gameplay (with a human touch to the level layouts)
    - it will come with X amount of worlds and an end-goal to reach in each game session
    - it will have some rogue-like concepts (items/inventory for things like double-jump boots, bombs, etc)
    - it will be released in 2017 (aiming first-half of 2017)

For technical details/developer-bla-bla you can always read the blog I posted about it, but for those who just want to play it, it's coming!

2. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for updating us.

3. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Wow, a new Meganoid in 2017!?#

Sounds really cool!

That's what more devs should do, reboot your own game after a couple of years & make it fresh again!#

Instabuy!!!#

4. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Love love love Meganoid

5. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Suh wheat

6. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Awesomeness!! Can't wait for this one!

7. orangepascal

a replicator-room, giving you items to help you survive the environment:

[​IMG]

and the level generator is possibly evil

[​IMG]

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Been a while since i've been amped for an upcoming release! Looking forward to instabuying this one!

9. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
  10. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    After being interested in Ashworld I have grabbed a couple of your games and I must say: I love your style.

11. orangepascal

good to hear! ;)

12. orangepascal

The "Hack station" is now added to the game. As you might have gathered by now there are some changes to the Meganoid formula, altho that formula so far was just "make players curse, swear, and throw their phones a-cross the room".

And that still goes! but with a bit more tact to it all ;)

[​IMG]

There are green keys scattered around the levels, and with each green key you can activate a hack that changes the world you play in. So some simple examples are : rocket-launchers might fail, making things easier. Turrets might stop turning, so only shoot in one direction, etc, etc.

The green keys can also be traded in the shops for your collected diamonds (don't worry, no in-app-payment bs!) along side a bunch of other items like a jetpack, a zapper, gravity-discs (allowing for double-jump), etc.

So, the difficult platforming is still there, but there's a bit more to it this time!

13. orangepascal

A couple of minutes of me test playing latest Meganoid(2017) build.
    Currently the work on this game is at about 98% done, so a release in March seems to still be on track (yay!)

There are now about 24 different consumables in the game, ranging from the basic detonators (used to explode your surroundings) to diamonds (used in the in-game shop to buy other consumables). A bunch of other consumables are: jetpack, zapper, plasma-gun, anti-gravity disc, flares, night-vision mask, oxygen masks, and a bunch more! These items will enhance you in various ways.

There are 4 worlds, with 3 bonus area's. The bonus areas usually require items or actions to unlock them, and often bring an interesting bonus to your game.

Then there are a bunch of "hacks" that you can activate to change the rules of the game. These hacks range from diamonds being worth twice as much, to hazardous rocket launchers breaking down or enemy robots dropping energy force.

All this on top of the challenging platformer gameplay from the original Meganoid!

All levels are procedurally generated but from set templates, so each level will be different, but still familiair. It should provide a lot of replay value.

No in-app payments, a premium price and possibly an early-buyer discount for the awesome people who are always buying my games (thanks!)

So.. give me a few more weeks and I'll have this game on the app-store ;)

14. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Holy crap this looks amazing

15. yearoftherat

yearoftherat Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Looking forward to this !!! And kudos to you for making this a non IAP type game :)

16. Awesomepants

Awesomepants Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Yeah!

I haven't played meganoid before but this looks SO COOL!
    Is it a roguelike game? It seems to have some roguelike elements, (Procedural generation, shops, etc...) but do you start over if you die?
    ( I will like it even better if you do! :) )
    Will add to watchlist, just looks awesome! Platformers and roguelikes have been mashed up before, but this looks like one of the best executions.:D:D:D:D

17. orangepascal

this will indeed be a roguelike-platformer, and indeed you start over when you die!

it has a bunch of the rogue like elements like : items to change your abilities, hacks/mods to change the way the world reacts around you, and bonus worlds to unlock and find rare items, etc.. I love adding such things to games ;)

18. Awesomepants

Awesomepants Member

Feb 21, 2017
    I sure hope I have some money in my iTunes balance when this comes out.
    Because instabuy.

19. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Gonna grab it. Also looking for Ashworld.

20. orangepascal

Here we go :)

TWO WEEKS LEFT! - I aim to release on March 30rd.. but with timezones and such, I've been known to publish a day sooner or later :p let's see if I can get it perfect this time.

The PC version comes with a pre-order discount which is live now:
    www.orangepixel.net/meganoid

The iOS and Android versions will come with a short launch-discount, so don't miss out (if you signup to the newsletter on the site I'll mail you personally!)

About the game
    Meganoid is a challenging platformer, generating new levels on every play session. Find many items to enhance your character and his abilities while you descend down into the Meganoid space ship. Do you rush for the exit, or do you take your time to collect everything there is, barely escaping the security drones that will hunt you down if you linger.

Key features
    • Levels randomly generated on every game session, based on a set of templates, making the levels unique but familiar at the same time.
    • A platformer with “roguelike” elements. Consumables, alternate routes, procedural generation, and many devices and gadgets add depth to the challenging gameplay of the original Meganoid
    • A lot of collectible items that will change the main character’s abilities to navigate the world. Find a jetpack to start flying around, find anti-gravity-boots to perform double jumps, and much more.
    • Hidden bonus area’s to find and unlock. Often providing you with a short-cut or very rare and powerful items.
    • A hackable game world. Finding green key-cards allows you to modify how certain elements of the game act and respond to you. Stop rocket-launchers from working, make rockets fly less far, make destroyed robots drop extra lives.
    • Unlock the database with info on all the items and enemies you encounter to be better prepared on your next try.

In true Meganoid tradition, you’ll die a lot in many different ways, but you’ll learn to overcome the difficulties, learn how the Meganoid world operates, and eventually get to the bottom of it!

if you got questions, ask me!