iPod touch 4g GPS...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Prhaber, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but here goes.

I'm lucky enough to have been given a 32gb iPod touch 4g for my birthday. Absolutely loving it so far (what a difference to my old 2g!).

Everything I've seen online says that the 4g doesn't have gps, but I noticed the other day that it was keeping records of where I took photos - even when I'm not near a wireless connection. As such I tried a gps app on it and it works fantastically wherever I am - even when I'm in the middle of nowhere with no wireless connection. Surely this means the iPod touch 4g does have a gps built in - and if that's the case why does everyone say it doesn't?

2. rgunaratnar1

rgunaratnar1 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I have a 32gb ipod touch as well and im pretty sure it does not have gps. The photos are geotagged by estimating your postition from nearby wifi networks. What app did you use?

3. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I've been using 'gps2os', and so far it's pinpointed me pretty exactly (within 60metres) both in town and in the countryside - at times when there's no wireless signal around...

I'm not complaining, just think its weird - I don't see how else the location apps would work. They're giving me an accurate latitude, longitude and grid location...which must mean it has gps - but then if it does why does no-one know and Apple not make anything of it?

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

If the iPod Touch 4 would actually have a GPS, it would show your position more accurateley. It would be more like withing 15 meters max.

5. =DSA.

=DSA. New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    iPod position detection

I just tested the position-finding ability of my Touch (4g) and found that it could pinpoint me within about 35 feet. For the first test, though, I was at the kitchen table, and it showed me right where I was. I mean perfectly. That was a weird feeling. I had no idea that it could be that accurate without GPS.