★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
10-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Hi, I'm the developer of Roll On, only just found this thread as I posted a new thread announcing the game and got directed here.

In answer to the comments so far, yes the same music is used in game, there are two music tracks in game including the one on the YouTube video (they alternate between levels).

Regarding the difficulty, well it gets more difficult the further through the game you get! Hopefully the early levels aren't too tough! Some of the levels in the trailer are quite far into the game!

As for Trailblazer, I've actually honestly never played it (although I am certainly aware of it!). I actually wrote a version of this for the Acorn Archimedes range of computers about 14 years ago (while still at school). I'd seen several games like this at the time on various formats (arguably those were themselves Trailblazer clones) and decided to make my own. So I guess that makes this a re-make of a clone of some clones! ;-) I put up a page about the old version here http://moozlebug.com/history.html if anyone is interested.

I'll keep an eye on this thread if anyone has any comments and/or questions. I've already got some for the first updates. So will consider any comments/suggestions/criticisms seriously.

Thanks,

Jez
10-01-2010, 06:02 AM
I've made a 5 star review in iTunes:

A new Trailblazer is born!

This is a nice remake of the old C64 and Amiga game Trailblazer. Graphics and sound are Amiga like.
It's not easy to master all the levels, only with good timing you reach the goal. The gameplay with tilt control is good.
It's a very challenging game with many potential and is absolutely addicting.
In the next update i would like to see difficulty choices and bonus objects on the road.

This game makes fun and gets my full recommendation.

10-01-2010, 06:18 AM
I really wanted to like this game. Universal, retina, older devices supported, 99c. It really seems to tick all the boxes. Unfortunately, both control methods on offer come up way short in my opinion, rendering this more of a chore than fun to play.
10-01-2010, 06:49 AM
@Caprone Thank you very much!

@speed4mee, Thank you very much for your nice review, it's much appreciated. I certainly had noticed it when it appeared on iTunes! In response to your suggestions, I don't think pick-ups would fit well in the existing levels but may make an appearance in additional bonus levels in the future. Difficulty seems to have come up a few times now so I'm thinking that the learning curve may be a bit too steep. I have a few ideas on how to have an easier version (e.g. have a speed setting to slow the game down or have a second set of levels that are modified to make them easier). I'll experiment and hopefully come up with some form of difficulty setting that works well.

@Gabrien I'm sorry to hear the controls are not to your liking, the touch controls are supposed to be akin to the old digital gamepads used by the NES/SNES/Sega Master System/Megadrive/Genesis etc), and perhaps I spent too much of my youth playing on those so find them pretty natural to me! ;-)

But please don't give up hope. A friend of mine made a comment about the controls on release day, so I'm already looking into a couple of alternatives. One is basically a rearrangement of the virtual buttons, the other is a touch based system whereby you move your finger to where you want the ball to go. I need to try these to see how well they work in practice, but if successful an update shouldn't be too far away. If you have any suggestions on how you think the controls should then I'm happy to take those into consideration.
10-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Moving your finger where you want the ball to go sounds like what I was hoping for. Suggestion: a "strip" below the playing field to move your finger along so it does not cover up any of the gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moozlebug View Post

@speed4mee, Thank you very much for your nice review, it's much appreciated. I certainly had noticed it when it appeared on iTunes! In response to your suggestions, I don't think pick-ups would fit well in the existing levels but may make an appearance in additional bonus levels in the future. Difficulty seems to have come up a few times now so I'm thinking that the learning curve may be a bit too steep. I have a few ideas on how to have an easier version (e.g. have a speed setting to slow the game down or have a second set of levels that are modified to make them easier). I'll experiment and hopefully come up with some form of difficulty setting that works well.

@Gabrien I'm sorry to hear the controls are not to your liking, the touch controls are supposed to be akin to the old digital gamepads used by the NES/SNES/Sega Master System/Megadrive/Genesis etc), and perhaps I spent too much of my youth playing on those so find them pretty natural to me! ;-)

But please don't give up hope. A friend of mine made a comment about the controls on release day, so I'm already looking into a couple of alternatives. One is basically a rearrangement of the virtual buttons, the other is a touch based system whereby you move your finger to where you want the ball to go. I need to try these to see how well they work in practice, but if successful an update shouldn't be too far away. If you have any suggestions on how you think the controls should then I'm happy to take those into consideration.
10-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozlebug View Post
You're welcome! As soon as i play it i'll leave some comments and suggestions here on TD.
Keep up the good work!
10-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Sticking this on my ever growing wishlist.

Invaders Must Die.
10-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Ok, here are some comments and suggestions.
The game is indeed hard to master, maybe too hard for someone, but it's a retro style title and so the difficulty of the 80's games is well reproduced here.
I find tilt controls more responsive than onscreen buttons, but here i think everyone will have is preferred configuration. Surely i could suggest the devs to add some new control method, like the finger one suggested in a post above.
Then, there's a thing i didn't understand, or maybe i'm wrong with something; when i die in the game, it keeps continue without a real end, and makes me restart the level infinite times. If this is correct, i suggest to make an end, or put some "lives" in the game, and related to this i strongly suggest an online leaderboard, that's IMO is the thing that will push the players to their limits and beat each other score.
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprone View Post
Ok, here are some comments and suggestions.
The game is indeed hard to master, maybe too hard for someone, but it's a retro style title and so the difficulty of the 80's games is well reproduced here.
I find tilt controls more responsive than onscreen buttons, but here i think everyone will have is preferred configuration. Surely i could suggest the devs to add some new control method, like the finger one suggested in a post above.
Then, there's a thing i didn't understand, or maybe i'm wrong with something; when i die in the game, it keeps continue without a real end, and makes me restart the level infinite times. If this is correct, i suggest to make an end, or put some "lives" in the game, and related to this i strongly suggest an online leaderboard, that's IMO is the thing that will push the players to their limits and beat each other score.
Hi Caprone,

Thanks very much for the comments.

I think you're very right with the point about personal preference with the controls, personally I'm hopeless with the tilt controls, I implemented the tilt mode first but found it too tricky so added the 'virtual buttons' which I found much easier. I nearly removed the tilt controls altogether but a couple of friends testing it liked them so they remained as an option (clearly it seems that was the right decision). Hopefully the new control method will work out and I can have an option that suits everybody.

The infinite retries is intentional, basically as it saves the level you're up to you can try each level as many times as you like anyway therefore 'lives' don't really have any meaning. The alternative would be that when you die you get the option to retry or quit, the reasons for throwing you straight back into the level without asking are twofold firstly to save the unnecessary button clicks choosing retry (can be annoying when you just want to get on with it) but also to keep the pace of the game going so it doesn't feel very stop-start like but just keeps going (relentlessly! ;-) ).

That said I think I know what you're getting at, particularly when you mention the leaderboard, now the current game doesn't really lend itself to a leaderboard, each level has a finite minimum time that it can possibly be completed in so any leaderboard would quickly get filled up with lots of identical 'perfect' times for each level. So what I'd planned for the first update (actually it will probably be the second update now as I want to address the controls/difficulty issues first) was to have a special 'challenge' mode. In this mode each level would be stacked back-to-back with a checkpoint at each level boundary that would add the time of the next level to your remaining available time. You would then either get awarded a % of the game completed or if you complete 100% a completion time, these scores would work much better on a global leaderboard. I was thinking of implementing the leaderboard through Game Center but must admit that I haven't looked into the API for that just yet.
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Sticking this on my ever growing wishlist.
Hope it's not too long a list! ;-)