Drop 7 Strategy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ArtNJ, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I like strategy games. However, there are certain strategy games, I know there is a ton of strategy, but dammed if I can really figure out what it is. For example, reversi/othello is such a game. (Not talking about the beginner strategies, like go for corners/edges...if you think that is all there is too it, play online and get owned.) I find myself in the same boat on drop 7 -- I can get around 140,000 points.

Any tips/strategies to share?

2. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Bump - I second this. Any strategies to share, pros?

3. Doctor Q

Doctor Q Member

May 21, 2008
    One real job + many volunteer jobs
    North America
    I'm not one of the pros, but I can share my prose. ;)

I use 3 strategies at once:

1. To stay alive, keep 1s and 2s from collecting. It's especially dangerous to have multiple 1s in a horizontal row. If it occurs despite your best efforts, you'll need to expose as many numbers underneath them as you can, looking for a way to collapse one of the columns at a time, so that the 1 on top will have no right-left neighbors and disappear.

2. To build up points, try to create chains rather than eliminate discs as soon as possible. I've found that it helps to keep 7s in the very left or very right column, with nothing but other 7s above them. If I can put a stack of 6s next to the 7s, or at the far other end, that's even better. That way when I fill a row I can start a chain reaction where the 7s disappear one by one, then the 6s, then smaller numbers in the same row.

3. When you have only a few discs on the screen, do anything you can to try to clear the board. It'll depend partly on luck, because you have to get just the numbers you need for the last few discs, but I've come close several times and finally cleared the board for the first time today. I got 70,000 points for it!

Here is a strategy guide worth reading.