Are you a "casual gamer"? Is there a popular forum for casual gamers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by amichail, Jul 29, 2010.

1. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    #1 amichail, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    I'm curious about the percentage of people in this forum who would be considered "casual gamers":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game#Casual_gamer

I suspect that my DropZap game probably appeals more to this group, although there is a bit of a learning curve.

Where is a popular forum to promote this game that is full of casual gamers?

2. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    hi,
    lots of games on App Store can be considered casual games. This is true for most of the successul ones (peggle, doodle jump...) since they may appeal to a broader audience than, say, a complex RPG, and still there's skill involved to be a great player. So I don't think it's an issue for your game (that I like a lot).

Moreover, casual games have often fancy, cartoony graphics, which is the main problem with your game (you did a good amount of work to improve how it looks, but still there are many better looking games out there). An "hardcore" gamer (as opposed to a casual one) being generally more interested in the gameplay, may be more forgiving in this respect.

3. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    The question remain is there any better or other place than those forums (clearly iphone section) to promote such casual game?

If I can make a comment on the game, for the turn based mode, the goal is the score, I doubt this is a good goal for puzzles fans, I could be wrong.

Now there's the action game (not in demo on the web site) but the mechanism seems complex to figure fast for an action game, again I could be wrong.

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Yes, I would agree that a casual game involves colourful graphics and a quick to understand concept and simple gameplay. The point is that as the gamer is so casual, the idea would be to grab their attention right away (for example, attractive graphics).

Furthermore, casual gamers also have less gaming knowledge and so might be put off by complex gameplay where a hardcore gamer might already be familiar with.

I agree that DropZap has the right gameplay, but graphics need to be improved. This does NOT mean go down the doodle route (please no), but instead make them more fun and interesting, I see you have tried to spruce up the game with some unique backgrounds but the style seems too amateur (if you don't mind me saying).

Maybe go for something other than simple coloured squares and instead include a 3D feel, or at least more variation.

I hope this helps improve you game.
    Mad