Best Solitaire App?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gabrien, May 30, 2010.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I don't play Solitaire myself, don't even know the rules or differences between various game types. However, I'm looking for a Solitaire app to gift to someone and was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction. There appear to be many different apps on the store and with my lack of knowledge of the actual game it's pretty difficult to even narrow them down.

Thanks in advance.

2. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Eric Snider has the best solitaire in the app store.

Search for him in iTunes and you'll see all his apps =D

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Depends on what sort of solitaire you are meaning - I am guessing that you mean card solitaire types? There are also some very nice Mahjong apps that are a form of solitaire as well.

Card solitaire, if you just want a single game, most people get Klondike, although Spider, Golf, Pyramid, TriPeaks are all popular solitaire games that have their own apps.

So- Klondike - probably Eric Snider as mentioned by above - they are just great.

Myself, I like to get collections of solitaire games, as I like to play about 6 or 7 different games, and the ones that I have, and think are good are:

Astraware Solitaire - a universal app, with unlockables, achievements

Card Shark Collection - our own Strofollino who is very active here makes that one - tons of games, and he is always adding to it - also a universal app

Solitare Forever - also a universal app - as 150 different games, lots of different card faces and backs - very pretty as well

There are a whole bunch of lite versions out there as well, so you can always see what you think looks best. I don't think you can really go wrong.

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
  5. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    +1.
    I love solitaire and have bought several different games, and Eric's is the one I always play.

6. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009

I've never heard of him, I'll check that out!

I have Astraware's Solitaire app (12 versions) and I like it. It's on sale for $0.99 right now.

7. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
  8. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    #8 jyhjyh, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  9. ask_me

ask_me Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Solitaire City has the smoothest animations out there, and probably also the most solitaire variants.

10. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Yes. Solitaire City is fantastic. It even has online leaderboards for every variant of every game.

11. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Everyone's got different tastes, and there are plenty of differences (subtle or otherwise) between all the card games out there. I'm sure each one has it's share of people that consider it their favorite.

Fortunately, most of the card games out there have lite versions.

The free version of Card Shark is currently named "Card Shark Collection" and includes ad-free, uncrippled versions of Klondike, Forty Thieves, Spider, Beleaguered Castle, Canfield. The full version adds (among other things) statistics, fireworks, the ability to use custom card backs and tables from your photo library, and lots of additional games including both solitaire variants and multiplayer games like Hearts, Euchre, Crazy Eights. The strongest parts of Card Shark are probably it's drag drop handling in Solitaire games and the way it makes full use of screen real estate for uncluttered display of large cards. The weakest part of Card Shark right now is probably it's built-in help, which is quite basic.

Solitaire City is great for people that don't know how to play. It's got really nice built-in interactive help and the iPad version has steller graphics. If you're gifting an app, I don't think you could go wrong with that one.

12. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    As far as traditional Solitaire games go, Solitaire City is tops. The presentation, online leaderboards, and variety is really well done and well worth the $5.99.

While I'm here, I'd be remise if I didn't mention my own, FREE game, for a moment. It's a bit of a different take on the Solitaire, called Solitaire Stacker. I designed it specifically for the full screen touch devices, and haven't been able to get much feedback on it yet. I'd especially love to hear what those who enjoy Solitaire think about it.

13. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I love Klondike, and Solitaire Stacker is an interesting concept, but I can't quite get into it. In Solitaire Stacker you're given a scrambled deck and have to manually sort it in ascending order by suit. But there isn't any of the puzzle solving or simple mental calculations that's typically associated with classic solitaire card games. There are always exactly 4 cards ready available to play. The gameplay reduces to quickly scrolling around to find them, or memorizing where they were. The only challenge is the race against the clock, something that doesn't personally appeal to me when I'm looking to relax.

In contrast, your poker themed game is quite up my alley.

14. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I was about to pick this one up as I agree it appears to have the nicest presentation, but then noticed (in the light version at least) for some reason the faces of the cards appear blurry... Mostly just "dots" on the cards. Am I the only one to be having a problem with this? Very strange.

Also, I couldn't quite figure out the difference between the $1 version and the $6 version. Is the latter really worth that much extra?

In any case, unless I can get the blurriness sorted I guess I'll just go with "Card Shark."

Thank you for all replies.

15. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Solitaire City looks gorgeous, in my opinion. Not blurry at all. Check the light version out.

16. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Yes, that was exactly what I did. The "dots" on the face of the cards look blurry for me. I tried this both on a 3G Touch and a 3GS iPhone. Has no one else experienced the problem?

17. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    #17 TheSporkWithin, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    I think it's mostly a case of resolution. I've never had any problem with the fact that the pips themselves are so small because the suit is clearly labeled. If it's a dealbreaker for you though, then that's that. As for the difference between the .99 and 5.99 versions, the .99 one includes only Klondike, which is the solitaire game that most people are familiar with: the one bundled with Windows. The 5.99 one includes over a dozen other solitaire games, each with a number of variations.

EDIT: There are additional deck styles in the full version, dunno about the lite. One of the decks does not have the shine or shadow effects on the pips, making them a bit more defined.
    [​IMG]

18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Hey pluto6 (or anyone else), since you mentioned it, can you recommend a good mahjong game. Seems like everyone always complains about the tile size but is one funner to play than another? Thanks.

19. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Hands down the best card app is Card Shark Collection Deluxe. It has over 40 different card games including Solitaire I think.

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am just getting back to this thread. Based on what Stoffolino said (since I think his Card Shark is among the best) I picked up Solitaire City as I don't know how to play many of the solitaire games, and it works as advertised with built in tutorials for each game and gorgeous graphics on the iPad.

My only issue is that it only works in portrait mode and won't turn or resize for landscape. Otherwaise a great app..

My favorite Mahjong are Moonlight Mahjong, Shanghai Mahjong, and Mahjong Artifacts 2 HD. The first 2 are on sale at $0.99 and are both universal so hard to go wrong. They both have some plusses and minuses, but try their lites to see what you like. Mahjong Artifacts is fun with a story, power ups, and great looking but more "cartoony" tiles. Much more expensive though. Wait for a (hopeful) sale for a sure buy.