Universal Raiden Legacy - (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 3, 2012.

1. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Well that was weird. I just played RF Hard mode with the Judge Spear code, and it gave me the first stage (with the tank boss) twice in a row. Then it went to stage 3, where I got creamed.

2. I can see what you are saying even though I don't have any problems with the current controls. But you are right, many shmups have a more instantaneous control than this one.

Actually, it would be cool dotemu if another control type called total instantaneous could be added. And why not add a joypad control too for kicks even if I didn't use it. But if it's too much work, I'm fine as it is.

Now that I got the sound working much better at level 5, don't hear the hiss or cracking noise that was so irritating before. The music seems so much louder on level 5 compared to level 3, that it really has changed my perception of the game. Make sure your volume is at level 5 in the options menu.

I like the game, hard is great for me even though I am dying all the time. Really reminds me of playing in the arcades, so love the retro vibe and it sure brings back a lot of memories.

I kind of wonder for the younger crowd that never played Raiden before, whether they would like it or not compared to the currrent cave shooters. For me though, this game is a great port, and I an happy it finally made it onto ios. Next dotemu, do robotron and the following robotron game!!!

3. DrSpoffo

DrSpoffo Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Not jailbroken. About 900MB of space.

On the iPhone 4 (rebooted), it takes 2m 38s from pressing "Arcade" to the first boss's emerge music starting.

On the iPad 1 it takes 2m 24s.

On the iPod Touch 3rd-gen (rebooted), it takes 3m 52s.

The iPad and iPod both have several GB of free space.

Oh, and I get the black-screen-from-pause thing sometimes too. Not every time, and there's no rhyme or reason to when it happens, but if it does you don't get picture back for a couple of seconds, by which time you're almost definitely dead.

4. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Wauv

This is what an Oldschool Arcade Shooter is supposed to be like!

Having only vague memories of playing one of the Raiden games, possible the first one, on an arcade machine in my youth, I had no preconception of what immensely challenging, fun and Fast it would be!

I got my arse kicked several times in a row, playing Raiden 1, and I loved it.
    Tried the other games and the arse kicking continued. Still loving it.

Thinking it may be appropriate that I tried to turn down the difficulty until I got the hang of it, I tried changing from Medium difficulty to Easy, only to discover that no Easy Mode exists. :D
    Fantastic.

This is in no way a complaint, I'm just loving the fact the Developers realized that none of the difficulty modes really could ever qualify as easy, they made the compromise of Medium and Hard, when, really it should have been Hard and Insane. :)
    At least for the average iOS, modern and probably younger gamer. :p

Continuing to play on Medium for now, I think, and I really want to say a big
    Thank you
    To the the Devs for providing us with such a fine example of Arcade Goodness on iOS.

On another note, someone in this thread mentioned a scoring system in some of these Raiden games.
    What does that entail?
    Someone else, or maybe the same, mentions grazing the bullets, like in bullet hell shooters.
    How can that even be possible in a game as fast, dangerous and frantic as this?
    All I can think off is staying alive, constantly moving, and not get any closer than I have to, to the bullets...

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, I haven't timed my gameplay through the first boss, but it certainly feels like it's running at normal speed on my 3GS. I've only got like 200 MB of free space too. And for some reason, I have had no issues with the black or delayed picture after a pause.

Anyway, not sure what to tell you. Guess the only recourse would be through DotEmu or ask for a refund.

6. DrSpoffo

DrSpoffo Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I wasn't looking for a refund. Raiden is one of my all-time faves, and I've got a full-speed iPad port (with three crappy bonus games) for my $5, plus a sluggish but playable iPhone version. Not exactly a ripoff. But it's disappointing not to get full speed on iPhone 4 - there should be a warning. And they REALLY shouldn't be saying that it's compatible with 3rd-gen iPods, because on those it's a total joke.

7. Greggor

Greggor New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Dreadful, laggy controls. No wonder I don't mind paying premium price for cave releases. There are free shooters in the app store with a much better response time. This feels absolutely awful. I feel like I'm being punked right now playing a shmup with these controls. Am I being punked?

I seriously can't get over how terrible the response is on these touch controls. Both "fast" and arcade.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well you could tell us what device you are playing this on as it'll be helpful to other users and also hopefully the dev could 'possibly' do an update. Better than just moaning and nothing changes.

For me the games been perfect, perhaps its just my device or iOS or something else. But be useful for people to let them know what device you have etc

9. DotEmu

DotEmu Well-Known Member

Raiden legacy updated

For your information, an update had been submitted on iTunes & Google Play.

This update fixes the following issues :

-> Wrong in-game display on iPhone/iPod Touch on iOS 4.x (Itunes only)
    -> "Error loading" strings with chinese devices
    -> Video filtering setting not saving
    -> Raiden autofire speed increased

It's already live on Google Play & soon on iOS (we have to wait for Apple's validation).

Thanks for your feedbacks & sorry for the inconvenience.
    Thank you for playing Raiden Legacy !

10. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It runs fluid and controls great on my iPad 3.
    It may be your problem is an older device, but it also may be an older iOS.
    Since you're not inform us of neither, it's very hard to figure out from where your problems originate.

But on a compatible iOS and the right hardware, this game have near-perfect controls, and is running fast as lightning, which is why I die so much... :)

And it even supports iCade right out of the gate, which is awesome, and I can't wait to try it out. :D

11. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I dont remember any shooter that moved as fast with a joystick as the finger controlled ones we have now, now it seems everyone wants 1:1 movement in every shmup but while I do appreciate it in bullet hell shmups ala Cave as it makes them more playable for not so good players like me, I think it would make the game too easy here.

The game is beatifully emulated, no one is being screwed over here. I just think a lot of folks expect every game in a given genre to have the same dumbed down difficulty and controls than the others.

12. foxlyfe

foxlyfe Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Hi DotEmu,

Thanks for porting raiden, love raiden fighters jet. Just a couple of suggestions:

The laser sound is not too pleasant on the ears, or is it just me? Sounds screechy and I find myself turning it down to avoid it.

Also as numerous people have said, the controls are a tad dodgy. I find myself dying in the easiest of situations as it just doesn't feel as smooth as say the cave games.

Thanks once again!

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, the same thing happened in the Blazing Star thread... Seems people didn't really care about speeds, defense, shot power... Didn't care about the stat setup for all the different ships, and how it effected gameplay in a major way... They just wanted every shop to move as fast as their fingers could, taking away from the core mechanics and gameplay of the classic game.

At least with Blazing Star, they made two leaderboards for each of the control speeds, helping to keep the hardcore "classic" players happy, while also adding the quick touch to make everyone else happy. Kinda sucks seeing everyone on the same boards here, but while still having both options, having players still complain. =o/

14. foxlyfe

foxlyfe Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I am not getting the same experience as I would be playing on a stick at an arcade. The controls just don't feel right, it's not about complaining or dumbing down, it's the fact that I'm not moving with the current controls as well as I would be if I were playing at the arcade, which in the end hurts the overall experience.

15. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange Active Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Thank you!

I look forward to the update! Thank you for listening to my issue!

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #116 syntheticvoid, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    Alright... This is the last thing I'll say about it, because I guess it could technically be considered a "comfort" issue with the controls, and I've made my fair share of complaints about uncomfortable controls...

But there's no way the original speeds of the ships could travel as fast as your fingers. The game wasn't made that way. In the arcade, the ships all had different speeds as well as other 'stats', which added to the gameplay and mechanics quite a bit. If you want a pure arcade feeling; put the settings on 'Arcade Touch' and play the game EXACTLY how it was in arcades, reduced ship speeds and all...

Personally, I'm insanely happy that DotEmu kept true to the original games with the Arcade Touch option, allowing those of us who want to play it EXACTLY LIKE IT WAS IN THE ARCADE can do so. Saying that in the arcade, ships could move as fast as your fingers simply wouldn't be true. Not only have they given us the exact same experience (minus buttons and joystick for those of you without an iCade), but they've also catered to the touch screen speeds of iOS shmups. I don't see how that hurts the overall experience one little bit unless you're a purest and only want the reduced ship speeds included like Blazing Star when it was originally released.

17. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I get it, but its not a problem every one is having. I played the originals on arcade a LOt and believe me they feel very much alike, and yes the experience is different but I think most of us expect that. As SV said, this is not an unseen problem as it appears every time a shmup doesnt have 1:1 movement it gets slammed for poor controls.

All in all im not against complaining or expressing one's points but I wanted others to know that for me being a fan of the originals and all, this game is a near perfect emulation with solid controls ( yet without 1:1 movement ) and a nice amount of content for a measly price.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I feel like I should duck while saying this, but I wish it were faster than 1:1 ratio for finger control so I don't have to move so far to move the ship. Actually it's fine on an iPhone, but on an iPad I find myself having swipe, swipe swiping to get where I want. There's so much screen space.

It's good, though. It's just that I often die because I try to move in that swipe, swipe, swipe fashion. Maybe I just need to get use to it, though. So far I haven't. :)

EDIT: now reading more carefully, perhaps what I want *is* 1:1. I thought it already had that.

19. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    If I have one request, it would be an ability to adjust music and volume separately.
    It really bugs me when I can't do that in games.

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't get that at all...
    I play on the iPad, and I don't feel I have to swipe that much at all...
    Well, for the moment, I'm playing with "Fast Touch" in the gameplay menu, perhaps you're playing with "the Arcade Touch", which I guess is slower, but using the control speed from the arcade version and utilizing the different ship's speed to a higher degree.
    (I'm guessing here, as I haven't dare try that mode yet.)

Either way, it's not quite 1:1, but close enough for me, and I don't feelmy finger is travelling more than in other games of this type....