MacBook Pro Retina performance with Windows?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by VaroFN, Jan 19, 2014.

1. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Well, since this is a forum about gaming and Macs are also "supported" by the site, I guess this is the correct place to ask this.

So, I have a MacBook Pro Retina late 2013 with two partitions, one with Windows where I have my Steam games and another one with Mac for the work. All I want to ask is how is the performance for other people that also has a Windows partition in the MacBook. Most games have some framerate drops even in low video options, they make the MacBook hot and they make the insufficient memory error appear after some time of playing, even with games like Darksiders and most recently with Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, which wasn't happening some time ago. I don't have almost any program in Windows, so I don't think that's a problem.

Anyone experiencing the same issues? Is there a fix?

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I'm assuming you have the 15-inch Retina with the dedicated card? Some specs would be helpful if you could provide them. If you're playing any games at the Retina's native res expect to be using minimum settings, I would suggest turning the resolution down, will likely put less stress on the GPU and allow your machine to run less hot.

3. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Intel i7 4 cores at 2 GHz, 8GB of memory at 1600 MHz, Intel's Iris Pro Graphics.

What do you meant with the retina's native res? I play most of them at 1280x800 instead of the default resolution, that most of the time is higher, since I get better performance with that one, but I still get the memory error message quite a lot.