Need help to make ios my main gaming platform

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by angryassdrummer, Feb 9, 2013.

1. angryassdrummer

angryassdrummer Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    Hi guys
    The reason I'm posting is to get help finding , say half a dozen or so GREAT games for my ipad4. The reason being I'm 35yo, live with my wife & 2 kids in a very small house... It's just not realistic to be playing games for hours on end- not much time to myself. But, the ipad is great how I can take it anywhere + ifi get questioned why I'm not watching my wife's favtv show with her I say I'm doing assignments or working on it (quickly hiding from screen gbw lol)

So, I really need help choosing a few great games from my fav genres. Like I said I don't have time to waste testing loads of games, just need to get a few ones ill love every now & then.

My fav genres are RPGs (western & jrpg), platform, rts (got starfront & c&c), adventures, puzzle, strategy.. I guess just NOT fps... Not my thing.

I have starfront, c&c, the room, gbw, tiny troopers, gta3, infinity blade 2, swordigo, bastion ... Loads of other free or cheap ones too that quickly get deleted.

Any advice what to look for?
    What's a few great RPGs?
    Most of the ports seem to get less than favourable reviews.

Any "must haves" I'd love to know about.

Oh, one last thing- I've never played a MMO... Are there any ones that good on ios?

Thanks for your time
    Aza

2. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I just recently got an iPad 4, too. It's my first iPad. Pretty sweet. Anyway, here are some games I've really liked across all genres:

Heroes & Castles
    The Walking Dead by Tell Tale
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    Waking Mars
    Eufloria
    Little Inferno
    Machinarium
    Nihilumbra
    Incoboto
    Cook, Serve, Delicious
    Splice
    Hundreds

RPG's? I hear The World Ends With You and Ravensword are both very good.

I love Bastion and The Room. Those were eye-opening experiences for me on the iPad. If you liked those, some of the ones listed should be fun.

3. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    thanks McCree, ill check those out today on the app store.

is the MMO a viable genre on the ios? ive never played one so i am very curious what all the fuss is about. I think the only one ive heard of on ios is Order & Chaos.. or was that heroes of order & chaos.. something like that anyway

also, what games are best for online multiplayer?
    again, all my gaming history ( back to the early 80s with the 2600) is either single player campaign or 2 player in the same room. i think ive played a few sports games online on the 360 and got my ass KICKED so have always steered away from online multiplayer.. being that i cant play all day everyday, i just assumed people online esp with rts are leagues ahead of me so no point playing.. but, if there were a few ios games that were loads of fun online + a fair level system, then id love to give them a go.:cool:

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    RPGs (Western):
    Avadon
    Avernum 6
    Avernum Escape from the Pit
    Baulders Gate Enhanced Edition

JRPGs:
    Final Fantasy I-IV (really unsuitable if you have limited time to play as they are not bite sized)

RTS:
    Autumn Dynasty

Adventures:
    Broken Sword series
    Monkey Island series
    All the TellTale games series
    The Last Express

Strategy:
    Just buy the Reiner Knizia games. They play very quickly.

See you in 6 months time.

5. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    Sorry, I think I described my situation wrong
    I can play games (on ipad) for a good few hours just that's not possible with consoles as the kids/wife have priority of the tvs
    Of course some quick fun ios games are useful too but for a really great game on ipad I can make as much time as needed

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You have very understanding kids...

Try those few games first. I find that when I buy too many at once, I tend to just play them in a cursory manner and end up not enjoying them.

Also browse through the reviews at Toucharcade, Slidetoplay etc once in a while to see if anything catches your eye, and if they do, add to AppShopper to wait for a price drop if you are currently playing a game.

7. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Order & chaos - only Mmo worth playing on iOS

8. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Hey there! Nice to see another Aussie in the forums :)

If you're looking for a good puzzle game, I highly recommend World of Goo, it's been on my iPad since Day 1 and I still return to it every now and then! :)

9. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    Thanks guys
    Will check them all out now

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The dood doesnt like FPS, so i assume he may not like behind the back 3PS shooters, action or RPGs either like H&C (great game btw) and Ravensword 2.

I think iPadisGreat has the most suitable list for angryassdrummer, and I would like to expand iPadisGreat's list.

JRPG (turn-based console type RPG):
    Final Fantasy Dimension
    Chaos Rings
    Chaos Rings Omega
    Chaos Rings 2
    Penny Arcade RPG
    Cthulhu Saves the World
    Drakerider (not really turn-based, but will remind you of chaos rings or FF titles)
    The World Ends with You (not so turn-based either, but has great production value and is one of the best games on the iOS)
    Saturday Morning RPG

Diablo-esque RPGs:
    Bastion (one of the best games on the iOS period.)
    Heroes Call
    ORC: Vengeance
    Undead Slayer
    Elements Defender (a defense game that has more of a diablo-esque feel than being a defense game)
    Eternity Warriors (although this one only has a vstick control option available)
    Bard's Tale

Infinity Blade-esque games:
    Horn (this one is more adventure than infinity blade's combat heavy nature)
    EPOCH. (a shooter twist to something like IB. Pretty unique but i'll just put it here. This is my favorite iOS game)
    Rage of the Gladiator (very IB but has a lot of character on each of the enemies)

Adventure games:
    Anything from Telltale Games (most recommended is The Walking Dead)
    Ghost Trick
    Waking Mars (side scrolling adventure game. game of the year of 2012<-- really no reason not to try it out)
    Gene Effect (more on exploration, but is kinda like Waking Mars)

Puzzle games with other genre twists:
    Voodoo Friends
    Dungeon Raid
    Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
    Puzzle Saga
    Puzzle Quest 1 & 2
    Dungeon Story
    Supermagical (less RPG, more adventure)
    Momonga Pinball (pinball in a very adventure game-like package)
    7th Guest (mostly puzzles, on an adventure layout)
    The Curse (tons of puzzles)

Realtime Strategy:
    Battle Heart (control up to 4 characters in real time, more micro management than a typical wargame-type)
    Sefirah (similar to Battleheart)
    Fantasy Adventure (similar to battleheart)
    Infectonator (pixel heavy realtime strategy, but is a little more casual than the other titles ive mentioned)
    Anomaly Warzone Earth (is still one of the best strategy games on the iOS)
    Anomaly Korea (is the sequel to above)
    The Walking Dead Assault (similar to Baldur's gate, but less RPG, more action)

Turn-based Strategy:
    Time of Heroes
    Squids
    Squids Wild West
    Rune Raiders

I hope you find what you're looking for, but you can start with these and some of the suggestions on the previous posts.

Cheers for iOS gaming!

11. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    agree with you ipadisgreat
    i bought too many at once a few nights ago now i cant be assed playing any of them.. i will, just need to stick to one game at a time though i think ( maybe 2)

12. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    Thanks for that comprehensive list exact-psience!!!!

13. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    It was a good attempt, but has some pretty major flaws that simply ruin the entire experience in the long run.

Like the O.P., I'm also a 35 year old husband and father of two, so my iPad has become my main gaming platform. I have consoles and a decent PC, but I just don't have the time to play them. I started a game in Skyrim in like November of 2011, yet I still haven't met the greybeards, if that tells you anything, lol.

The only MMO I find myself liking at the moment is Arcane Legends. It's free and can be played fully without ever spending a dime, even though it has about twelve megatons of iap built in (most of which is not really worth it anyways). But the game itself is pretty fun and can scratch the MMO itch if you're like me and simply can't spend the time or money playing a full blown MMO.

Although I will say it's pretty evident that the devs put priority on putting in new iap opportunities over balance and polish. Which is quite unfortunate, because Arcane Legends has the potential to be so much more if they could iron out some of it's issues. But even so, I find it enjoyable.

14. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    So you recommend Arcane Legends over Order & Chaos?
    What's the pros & cons of both?

Oh, also what games are regarded as the best online multiplayer games on ios.. Of any genre. If people have several say your top 5 multiplayer.
    Is the game centre easy to use for multiplayer?

15. battletictactoepro

Jan 29, 2013
    I think I know your situation. Why don't you try stone age and tell me what do you think about it.

16. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    You should definitely try Battleheart.
    Galaxy on fire 2 HD is free right now so that's one you could try.

17. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #17 Leegames, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    Hunters 2 - Turn based amazing strategy a la Space Hulk
    Neuroshima Hex - turn based battle also more players on same device
    Wild Frontier - (iPhone) but old school RPG with tons a crafting like Monster Hunter
    Dungeon Defender - mix of RPG and tower defense
    Bard's Tale - classic western rpg with tons of humor
    Galaxy on Fire HD - space exploration, action, story and a huge world
    Aurum Blade - Diablo meets pixels and jrpg
    Storm in a Teacup - super enjoyable platformer
    Dofus Battles - sort of TD, puzzle, rpg mix that works
    Order & Chaos Online - for that World of Warcraft-feeling and much deeper than Arcane Legends. Both are enjoyable from different perspectives.

That's some of the games that matches your wishes and never leaves my iPad.

"ifi get questioned why I'm not watching my wife's favtv show with her I say I'm doing assignments or working on it (quickly hiding from screen gbw lol)"

Tell her, that while she loves tv you love your iPad and this way you can combine it as you are still listening and watching. No more hiding what makes you happy. ;-)

18. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    thanks!
    what i love about this is i get recommended titles i normally wouldnt hear about
    having so many on the istore its hard sorting out the crap from the decent ones

19. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Do you like racing games?
    Real Racing 3 is coming this month .
    If you like racing games I'd get that

20. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    i have real racing on my iphone
    i liked vs racing on iphone too

i think ill download either Order & Chaos or Arcane Legends tonight

researching a jrpg & a western rpg tonight too
    i want one of each
    Dragon Quest 8 & Link to the Past are my 2 fav rpg.. so i have been eyeing off the FF 1-4 ( ive only played 7 and X) and also Chrono Trigger. Bit worried about the controls of Chrono..