Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtruck123 View Post
Really hate the new moves system. I bought 2 IAPs before and now the moves are restricting me from playing unless I want to pay even move! Old school mode should get rid of moves all together. I loved this game so much too...
Hi Cowtruck,

I'm sorry the Moves system is bothering you so much. I debated having something like it (a Lives system) for the initial version, but decided against putting it in because it didn't fit the game. With the Lives system, it would have been like Challenge mode, but a universal count for all levels. So failing a level would be even more frustrating than it is now.

After the shock of seeing how little money version 1.0 was making (after spending ~$30K in savings over a year to finish the game), I had two choices: Switch to paid immediately or try to salvage Bombcats as a F2P game. Either way I was going to piss off some people. Short-term, switching to paid would have made more money, but it may have made Apple un-feature the game. And it may have hurt Chillingo's relationship with Apple as well.

So I decided to go with F2P-ing it up some more. I added the Moves system as a desperation move to try to keep Radiangames going (in addition to the limited deals and gem price increases on some items), but really if I had thought of it (instead of Lives) 2 months ago, the game would have had it from the start. I wish I had launched the game as paid or like version 1.1 is now, because obviously things would be a lot less desperate for Radiangames.

That said: For the next update, I will do something for OSM players to reduce the impact of the Moves system on them. It won't remove it completely, but it will make it so you can play for quite a while longer.

If you email me (luke@radiangames.com), I'll send you a free copy of any other game in my iOS library. Or if you (or anyone else) wants to send me some hate email, I will not hate you back.

Thanks for reading,
Luke

Last edited by radiangames; 06-14-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiangames View Post
Hi Cowtruck,

I'm sorry the Moves system is bothering you so much. I debated having something like it (a Lives system) for the initial version, but decided against putting it in because it didn't fit the game. With the Lives system, it would have been like Challenge mode, but a universal count for all levels. So failing a level would be even more frustrating than it is now.

After the shock of seeing how little money version 1.0 was making (after spending ~$30K in savings over a year to finish the game), I had two choices: Switch to paid immediately or try to salvage Bombcats as a F2P game. Either way I was going to piss off some people. Short-term, switching to paid would have made more money, but it may have made Apple un-feature the game. And it may have hurt Chillingo's relationship with Apple as well.

So I decided to go with F2P-ing it up some more. I added the Moves system as a desperation move to try to keep Radiangames going (in addition to the limited deals and gem price increases on some items), but really if I had thought of it (instead of Lives) 2 months ago, the game would have had it from the start. I wish I had launched the game as paid or like version 1.1 is now, because obviously things would be a lot less desperate for Radiangames.

That said: For the next update, I will do something for OSM players to reduce the impact of the Moves system on them. It won't remove it completely, but it will make it so you can play for quite a while longer.

If you email me (luke@radiangames.com), I'll send you a free copy of any other game in my iOS library. Or if you (or anyone else) wants to send me some hate email, I will not hate you back.

Thanks for reading,
Luke
Sorry to hear that the game isnt making much money... And thanks for reponding. I was just angry because I paid $4 worth or IAP to enable to old school mode and pay something since I loved the game so much. I still think that players who enable old school mode should not have to deal with the moves feature with out paying another $6/7 thats all...
Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Okay, I downloaded this because the kitties looked so adorable and I thought it was going to be like iBlast Moki.

I have to say, I'm really impressed. It's nothing like iBlast Moki, so that's somewhat disappointing, but it is a fun game to use propulsion to finish levels and save kitties!

What I'm immensely impressed by, though, is the interface... the entire game feels like it was built on love and passion, and everything is so smooth and works fantastically. I love all the unlockable outfits, as well as the idea that getting achievements nets you certain gems.

It's such a cute game that I can honestly not be that mad about the IAP... Though the IAP store does come off as extremely desperate and ridiculous, it seems like it will not be much of an issue for me so long as the game doesn't force me to use an IAP if I keep retrying a level.

It does also come off as sneaky (in a bad way) that just going to the next level, or otherwise moving on the map, even from one level you've already beaten to another level you've already beaten, erases "Moves." I think you already touched on that, though, so I understand. It does come off as sneaky and kind of.. mean, really. Manipulative... that's the word I'm looking for. You should make it more of a point to demonstrate it to players before they just click the Next button willy-nilly and wonder why the number keeps decreasing.

Other than the desperate and overwhelming IAP store and that aforementioned manipulative attempt at netting money from unsuspecting players via said IAP with the "Moves" system, I can't find anything wrong with the game so far. I am really enjoying it, and I feel like there was a lot of love given to the product during its development.

It is so sad to hear that the IAP stuff isn't working for you, though... The leaderboard shows almost 500,000 players... and only a small fragment of a fraction takes part in the IAP? :\ That seriously sucks... a lot. But perhaps if the IAP didn't blind-side the player, people would be more likely to take part in it? I'm not sure how to change how it is, though.

I do appreciate that there is an option to turn off IAPs. I would complain about the fact that you have to hold it for 2 seconds, and even then it isn't clear whether or not it was turned on or off... or also that you can still access the IAP store, just not buy anything... but I know that you did it that way to make it more likely for people to buy the IAPs. If someone went to that option and pressed it once, then went to the IAP store and tried buying something, they'd be shocked to know that they actually were able to spend money on it, because they didn't know you had to hold the option for 2 seconds.

Where I'm going with -that- part of this post is that it really does come off as desperate. You don't make a lot of hoops for IAPs to be ignored by the player, but the couple ones you do have come off as "Uh... add it just for the hell of it, but make sure it's really confusing." Like, I am wondering if most of the small percentage of IAPs you get from the game are actually from people who accidentally bought them, not knowing completely how the IAP store worked?

I think it would be more kind and feel less manipulative if you were up-front about the IAPs. Make a tutorial video about the Moves system, and weasel in a good segment about how if you get stuck with no more moves, you can always go into the IAP store to buy more moves. Then use that as a segue into demonstrating what else the IAP store has to offer.

Like...

Tutorial video (unskippable on first launch, perhaps?): Hey there, gamer! Let's talk about the Move system. The Bombcats already get so much exercise from maneuvering through topsy-turvy levels that sometimes they need a little break from the fun! But maybe you don't want to take that break with them? Every time you move on the world map, you exhaust one "Move." You have a finite amount of moves until you will need to take a break. The break is a small one, though, as our Bombcats are very resilient. If you feel like you want to push through the exhaustion, though, and continue the fun for a longer period of time, you can always donate some money to our Bombcat augmentation fund by navigating to the Augmentation Shop and purchasing the product that is used to make your Bombcats infinitely resilient and able to move around the World Map enough to your liking!

During that video, you demonstrate how to navigate to the shop, how to buy that product, and then boom...

Then introduce the Gems feature and tell people all about how they can snazz up their Bombkitties with accessories and tail trails by using gems. "If you see an accessory that really catches your fancy, but you don't have enough gems? Head on over to the Rock Shop to buy some more gems!"

Something like that, you know?

Maybe split it into three different shops:

IAP shops:
Bombgmentation Shop (yeah, that name sucks, but you can make a better one, I'm sure )
Mineral Shop

Gem shops:
The Cat's Crystal

The Bombgmentation will have, first and foremost, the option to buy unlimited moves, and personally maybe a cheaper price than is currently offered. $3.99 perhaps? And along with that will be any other products that affect the game at-large. Gem Doubler and those other things, you know?

The Mineral Shop will be for buying all those gem packs.

Finally, The Cat's Crystal... I'm proud of that name, please don't change it This will be a clearly-labeled shop for only in-game currency. No real-world money at all. Just gems, to buy all the accessories and stuff... the superficial visual stuff for your kitty. Maybe The Cat's Cabaret would be a better name, actually?

---
Maybe you make a menu item that holds to options: One is the icon for real money, one is the icon for gems. When the player presses one or the other, they are brought to the appropriate purchase zones; Bombgmentation and Mineral Shop when they click the real-world money icon, and The Cat's Crystal Cabaret (BOOM! That's the name!) when they click the gem icon.

But of course we don't want the consumer to only go to the gem-currency shop and not at least try to go to the real world area, so when someone clicks on an accessory they want, it will let them try to buy it with gems, even if they don't have enough. If they -don't- have enough, you kindly say something like, "Oh no! Your kitty doesn't have enough gems for this purchase... would you like to help them out and buy some more? "

...I don't know how much of this will actually work, or if it will work at all... but I know that if you took this whole approach I made above, it would make the IAP stuff seem far less desperate and manipulative to me. I'm sure it would do the same for other people, as well.

You need to help the consumer navigate those shops, though. At the moment, it's all a hodge-podge of real-world money and in-game money, no real rhyme or reason, a RIDICULOUS amount of IAPs, and nothing silly or fun about any of it. The icons and text are fun, but the descriptions are as boring as they come, and I didn't notice any references to your kitties being healthier, happier, funner, awesomer, or anything in any of the IAPs. Just "Buy this for this. Buy this for this. Buy this for this." etc. etc.

The too long, didn't read version:

Split the IAP stuff into two distinct IAP-focused shops, make a third shop for in-game currency only (with directions and temptations to buy more gems), add more humor and silliness into the game to entertain people and make them more likely to support you with IAPs, and have fun with the descriptions.

You will come off as less desperate, less manipulative, and it will feel more like, "Hey, this developer is kind of funny! I like him/her. I think I will take that advice!" and less like, "Uh... wow... they are really desperate for money."

Old 06-17-2013, 08:39 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm at the night stages, and the game just got even better. However, the gem rush stages.. 2 tries per day? Extremely annoying for completionists.