What makes a good promo video?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Runloop, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Runloop

Runloop Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Hi all,

What do you think makes a good promo video? If you have an action packed game then gameplay will surely sell itself. However I have a puzzle game where it's not immediately obvious what's happening. This is the game and a demo video I've done during development:

Have you seen any good puzzle game trailers? What made them good?

2. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Keep 'em short. Simply as that. Try to keep your trailer below a minute. Show the main aspects of your game that are the most fun and leave everything out (like menu or desktop movies).
    Personally I like some cartoons before the actual gameplay...like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope did. But that's my personal preference, and it's a little bit costly for the beginning.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    You could add something to just the basic game to add energy or comedy to a puzzle games trailer.

EG: On the level with the bombs you could have a full screen KABOOM! graphic (by full screen I mean outside the normal game screen).

4. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    You're so right about the length. I've been looking for some music to go with the video. I think anything more than 30 seconds would be too long thinking about it now.

I really like this idea. Although I'm moving away from a straight gameplay style video I might add some effects like this. Cheers.

5. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    The app looks really cool, nice!

Yeah, tighten up the movie. 30 seconds should be enough time to show off the gameplay and features. Remove the in-between UI stuff, just do quick fades with the video and the user will understand that you're moving onto a "new" area.

One thing I like in demos is speeding up certain aspects. So if you have an area you want to show off but it takes a long time to show it...then just speed it up a bit (not too much where the user can't follow) but enough to show the big picture picture...quickly.

Let us know when you release the updated version.

6. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Been working on this all night but I'm really happy with the result. Everything is coming together now. It feels like a complete package.

7. mlfarrell

mlfarrell Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    san diego, ca
    Really nice job on the second vid. Let me know how you do!

8. Kodo

Kodo Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    #8 Kodo, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    Agreed, the second video is really nice, has a great atmosphere and does the job very well!

I'm going to be starting my own video for Mountain King soon, do you mind me asking what software you used to put this video together? I have been looking at Sony Vegas, which looks good but I haven't downloaded the trial yet.

Good luck with Blockees, I'll watch out for its release, it looks very addictive :)

9. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I used Adobe After Effects. I don't really know how to use it, but I managed to muddle by to create the vid. I did learn some cool things that will help in the future if I have to make any more though.

10. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    the second video is alot better.. but i don't understand why you showed the safari browser again?

and i thing it would help to understand the game if you visualize the swipe gestures you do while playing (they are swiped right?)

11. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I showed the browser as I think that is an important part of the game. It tells you that once you finish it there are loads more levels online that you can play and add to. Personally, I find that interesting.

I thought about have the swipe gestures, but decided against it. It's not meant to be a gameplay video so much as just a promo video. If people like the look of it they'll work out how it's being played soon enough.

12. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well promo and gameplay is the same for me.. you show gameplay so it (the video) should try to make it understandable.. and i think a simple swipe visualisation would be helpfull (and you might reuse it for your "gameplay" video)

as for the browser.. maybee the page showed in the browser looked like just
    an webpage for blockees and not like a level download page, is what put me off.. maybee i expected some sort of list and a download indicator.. :)

don't know how the habits of others are but i usualy watch such a thing only once.. and if there is alot to read next to the action i usualy look at the stuff "moving".. so i was sometimes a bit "late" to read the text in full.. needed to rewind for pretty much every text block..

but thats all me being picky.. i assume 99% won't care and the video is fine as is.

13. SlimlineGames

SlimlineGames Well-Known Member

make it original

Agreed. Make sure to highlight the basics, features, and what makes it a unique app.

14. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I'm not so sure. I understand what you are saying, but I think it's pretty self explanatory.

Maybe this could be clearer. What I'm trying to show is how your puzzle looks online after you've shared it. The puzzle in the browser is the puzzle that was just drawn in the puzzle creator.

This is true you can only watch the game or read the text. This is too bad as I'm not doing it again after all the effort I put in.

What I hope will happen is either a) people will watch the game and then buy it, b) people will watch the game, want to know more and then watch it again to read the text, then buy it, c) people will think it sucks and not care.

It's good to be picky. But you're probably right, most people won't care. ;-)

15. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    So what do you think of the new video I posted above?

16. RodeoBenjamin

RodeoBenjamin Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Creative Director at Perchang Games
    Guildford
    I like your second trail Runloop. Short and concise. Wraps up everything you need to know about your game whilst holding the audiences attention.

Well played!

17. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

Good trailer :)

Short, nicely atmospheric and well presented. Two quibbles:

1. I think there's too much text to read in one go. I'd break it up a bit and have a larger font size.
    2. There's a conflict between reading the text and watching the game play. Could you explain, then show?

18. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    There definitely is a conflict trying to read the text and watch the game. This is the price I'm paying for trying to keep it so concise. I think it will work out though. What I said above still stands true:

"What I hope will happen is either a) people will watch the gameplay and then buy it, b) people will watch the gameplay, want to know more and then watch it again to read the text, then buy it, c) people will think it sucks and not care."

19. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    a general problem in trailers is that you don't see the input method.. in this example the finger doing the swipe to the left, right , up down whatever..

you only see the result of the input and that leaves a logical gap how exactly this game is played... visualizing the swipe a finger floating then pressing the doing the swipe then fading away.. or something similar.. there are several approaches this could be designed...

hmm.. well it doesnt look like that.. maybee its also because of the present appstore badge it looks more like an ad... and the quite small formfactor of the video might be another issue here..

something more higher res would be better.. wold also make the text easier readable.. with videos size does matter :D

20. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I really don't see this as an issue. I've never watched a game trailer for any other game and wondered what the input method was. Most of the time it's obvious. As I think it is in this case.