Could you buy a $20 iOS game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Sep 19, 2010.

?

Could you buy a $20 iOS game?

1. If the game was good enough, absolutely!

51 vote(s)
    83.6%
  2. I would never spend that much on an iOS game

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #1 tsharpfilm, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Let's say a game like Elder Scrolls III, or some really epic game you would enjoy, was ported perfectly to the iOS platform? If it was priced at $20, would you buy it?

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    If it was an original game for the platform with over 50 hours of non-grinding gameplay, probably.

3. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Ugh... There's a typo in the poll.

"iOS came" = "iOS game"

50 hours? :D I don't even think Elder Scrolls III has that much game play.

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    25hours with two very different characters is just as good for me.

5. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #5 tblrsa, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Yes, without a doubt, especially if its an RPG like Morrowind.

6. About £15?
    Double price of Chaos Rings?

If it was somehow Oblivion with Morrowind graphics or something in a set then yeah. Or a Halo with 1/2's graphics or something.

7. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    If it's worth it and I like it then why not?

8. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

I'm buying that 20$ X-Plane game for the iPod, so yeah! :D

9. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    $20 is about £13.

10. I blame the exchange rate.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Probably the most expensive app I've bought was X-Plane HDEF-4G (not really a game) which cost £11.99 ($19).

So yeah, I'd definitely buy an iOS game for $20 as long as it's good enough.
    I'd even pay $30 - $40 if someone ported something like GTA 3, Sid Meier's Pirates, or an old COD/MOH/Rainbow Six shooter.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    The exchange rate usually works in our favour though. Although it's only about 5p on a dollar game.

13. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    The problem for me is "game you enjoy". If it's a game I enjoy it's a game I already played then I'm not sure I will buy it again at this price because replay value won't worth the expense for me but for very very few games.

If it's not a game I have played then there's a bet and I can't be sure of the quality. As the current state of igaming is what it is, I won't be confident and the CPU limits, the graphic limits, and the production costs limits will make me worry. In those conditions I won't buy an igame at this price.

If I play the demo and get stunned how good it is then I'll worry about gameplay length, not that I need it be very long but won't pay 20$ for a 5 hours game.

If I play the demo and get stunned how good it is and then if I have a clear information that the standard gameplay is 20/30 hours and that the game quality is the same all along the game as in the demo. Then and only then I'll buy it. But in practice I'll probably wait few weeks or one month to see if the price is sticky, let the bugs be solved, see general feedback.

The problem is the current market is what it is, and there's a problem of price comparison and what dev could expect from the market and by bouncing what players could expect.

14. Christian_Bale

Christian_Bale Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I would buy portal 2 on iPhone for 20 bucks.

15. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Really depends on the game for most people... If it's high polished and really fun, it'll be worth it. But you'll still have the penny pinchers complaining that its not free.

16. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    are you kidding, I have friends who have put hundreds of hours into that game, its massive

its easily worth $20 but an ugly old hardcore rpg like that doesn't seem like it would be too successful in the app store

17. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Lol. You make a good point. I still haven't finished that game.

Ugly?! It's not too bad if you play from 1st person perspective.

18. lefrisbee

lefrisbee Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I will pay whatever they charge for Final Fantasy Tactics. It's in my top five favorite games, and unless they ruin it in the port, it'll be worth more than twenty dollars to me.

That said, the price point will probably be around $12-$15, which I'm perfectly okay with.

And I'm a little worried about how well they'll port it, especially since the early screenshot they released looks really fuzzy and bad, and they're probably going to use the terrible WotL translation instead of the excellent PSX translation. But I feel like these complaints are off-topic in this thread.

Short story: Absolutely.

19. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    If it is tekken or FF 7 and above, yes.

20. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Of course if the game is worth it, I'd pay the money.